"Hurricane Katrina" Viewpoint, read on...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacAztec, Sep 8, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

My brother sent me this story in my EMail, I found it very interesting:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

This should probably go in the political forum, but I will bite.

This article is gonna get shredded by most members on this board.

Sad thing is it's pretty much true.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Somehow, I get the impression that this guy is white. He certainly proposes some execrably inappropriate linkages. I remain unconvinced.

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

"My wife, Sherri, figured it out first, and she figured it out on a
    sense-of-life level. While watching the coverage last night on Fox News
    Channel, she told me that she was getting a familiar feeling. She studied
    architecture at the Illinois Institute of Chicago, which is located in the
    South Side of Chicago just blocks away from the Robert Taylor Homes, one of
    the largest high-rise public housing projects in America. "The projects," as
    they were known, were infamous for uncontrollable crime and irremediable
    squalor. (They have since, mercifully, been demolished."

Most people that live in public housing, including the Rober Taylor Homes, are living normal lives like the rest of us. No doubt the Taylor Homes, Ida B. Wells, etc, have a huge crime problem, but I don't think it is fair to blame all the citizens living there. Here is a very intersting (and sadening and hopeful) documentary by two boys growing up in the projects if you'd like to listen: http://www.soundportraits.org/on-air/ghetto_life_101/

edit: if 75% of New Orleans was evacuated (a city of 500,000), how can there be 300,000 left? Aslo, when he says "a large number" are from public housing, that seems pretty vague to me.

edit#2: Does anyone else feel offended/insulted when he says "welfare parasites" don't own anything and have nothing to lose?

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

'welfare parasites', 'selected over decades for their lack of initiative and self-induced helplessness',

what a pile of right-wing racist crap!

I can't believe anybody can read this and not feel the need to stick this self-proclaimed 'journalist' in the N.O. toxic broth head first.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, yeah, that's another way of viewing it... :p

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Where did he say anything about race?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Between just about every pair of lines.

9. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I'm pretty sure he said something about Welfare, but nothing about race. Read it again.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

11. microrario macrumors member

And conversely, your statement supports the notion that all people in a housing project are of the same race. I believe that's equally racist.

Furthermore, Merriam Webster defines "parasite" as "something that resembles a biological parasite in dependence on something else for existence or support without making a useful or adequate return." And yes, this may be construed as derogatory, but what about it innacurately describes the majority on welfare?

12. jwp1964 macrumors regular

Great catch...

It shouldn't take long for the flames to begin...

Nice read. Thanks! It takes courage to post conservative opinion/articles on these forums.

:D

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the 'without making a useful or adequate return' part, if you cared to read your own post

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not at all. I gather from the tone of his article that he makes such an assumption, in general terms.

Such a question betrays a multitude of preconceptions.

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Well, almost 100% of people that lived in the Robert Taylor Homes, Ida B. Wells, and Cabrini Green in Chicago were black. The same is true for New Orleans public housing.

16. microrario macrumors member

I agree wholeheartedly. I am sick of seeing countless threads spouting one point of view, typically under the banner of "open-mindedness". But what is more close-minded than thinking there is only one valid opinion?

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What an ass. A big, blubbering ass. Every time he speaks, I get a whiff of fart.

Many of those people care about their family and children as much as the next middle class white guy.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Assuming that a well-argued case will be rejected out of hand, perhaps?

19. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Wow a nice read, like I've said in other forums I don’t want nor like to support a criminalist race though the government gives me no choice when I pay my taxes if I want to support welfare or not. I also don’t feel anything for those dumb asses that are refusing to evacuate from their houses no matter what, toxic water, being shoot etc no one wants to move.. what dumbasses.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

OK, that does it. I'm outta this fast-degenerating thread. Enjoy yourselves.

21. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Hence why I hate supporting these parasites living on welfare but alas no one gives me the option not to give my hard earned cash to welfare.

Can’t the government just eliminate welfare and hire these people on a government work program if they can’t find work?
    I suppose that would raise a boatload of legal issues from every court and civil rights activist in the country if that were to happen but alas it'd be contributing to society at least.

22. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Yup you know when ever I post on the forum it all goes down hill from there.
    :D

Anyways I'll probably end up sitting this round out so to speak since everyone here knows or should know I *HATE* welfare with a passion, nothing but leeches and parasites living off welfare not doing anything to help themselves.

23. iGary Guest

iGary

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I wouldn't blame this on the people on welfare, but would on the criminal element that may not have left the city.

This article is basically saying "person surviving on welfare = gang member"

Edit: so yes, this guy does deserve a toxic New Orleans swirly.

25. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Where was this article supposedly published? I mean, shoddy paper that publishes things with that many grammatical mistakes. This guy needs a serious em-dash lesson.

As for the article, it's pretty hateful. Not as hateful as MacNoobie apparently, but pretty hateful nonetheless.

And Noobie, what do you propose this government work program to replace welfare will do?