Hurricane Wilma is coming

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bousozoku, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, the almost continous news reports are happening now and it stlll hasn't reached Floriduh. We have had tornado warnings in the southern part of central Floriduh. They're talking about sustained winds of 45 mph this morning, which isn't bad.

The hurricane itself is only a category 2 storm so it's not horrible right now, as things go.

It's always interesting.

2. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

On CNN they are (still) saying it is a category 3 storm...

groovebuster

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This might be the first hurricane of the season that doesn't make its way to New England after its primary (or secondary) landfall. :rolleyes:

4. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I head it was still supposed to hit New England, yay go us

6. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I want every person, dog, cat and other pet to live through this hurricane.

However I hope this one is yet again strong enough to help raise awareness of Climate Change and the effect it's having on the intensity of these storms. The Gulf Coast is becoming a re-fueling area for these storms!!

7. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its pretty amazing what these storms can do, iam over a 1,000 miles away and yet its making it rain here:D I love those rainy days.

9. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Can you believe government funded scientists are releasing data to dis-prove this stuff as myth? (Actually i can seeing as how alot of government officials don't wanna look into renewable fuel sources since they already have one war being fought over oil, and since their family and friends have so much invested in oil drilling already) They argue that the increase in the levels of ambient CO2 is on a normal increase as well as the increase in temperature being normal since the trapping of the suns energy, what they fail to mention is that even though this is part of a normal trend this trend is suppose to occur over 10's of thousands of years, not the increases we have been seeing since the rise of industry and auto-mobile usage!!!!!!!!!!

This biggest issue i have is that alot of these republican officials are completely raping the land with their legislature yet they have the audacity to stand on the same podium and tell people that they are god-fearing bible bangers. I mean how can you equate a belief in god while at the same timing drilling holes in this planet "he created" to increase the profit margin of oil companies they have their hands in???????? It makes no sense to me!?!?

(I am in no way saying that this holds true for all people of religion or even all republicans, i know some republicans have helped maintain the land by keeping and establishing national parks(think nixon, grant), its the ones who claim they love and believe god that then in turn rape "his" land that bother the hell out of me!!!!!!)

Anyone care to respond? I have made a statements such as this a few times in these forums with little or no response. Anyone care to disprove the "theory" of global warming, because i could provide some interesting info straight out of a few of my un-biased environmental text books.

10. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Can we let go of some of the Floridumbdumbs? :D They're the ones wasting petrol on SUVs.

Yes, the whole lack of caring for the planet has shown lots of problems in the weather.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

I wonder if I will make my business meeting in West Palm on Wednesday...please lord, let the airport be destroyed, but no one harmed.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm hoping this hurricane will spare Freeport G.B. and any land it falls on. i know my parents are having a hard time with all of this. Wish i was there to help them.

Bless my peepz in the BA

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I just got my power and cable/Internet back. No damage to my condo, but there's a lot of crap and downed trees in the parking lot and surrounding areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Thanks for those pics. Ah, the power of wind and water... I can't wait to see what we get in New England. Nothing like in Florida, for sure, but still relatively crap-tastic weather. :p

15. edge540 macrumors regular

edge540

Just got back from a drive around my area in Florida. There was power outages around town this morning and most traffic lights are out. We have a ton of flooding in our area though. Some roads are knee deep.
    This second picture, the "river" flowing from the right to left usually is about 5 feet lower and obviously not flowing over the road.
    Other than that we are fine over here. School only closed for today as obviously we could not go to school.

Attached Files:

16. iGary Guest

iGary

Doesn't look I am going to West Palm on Wednesday. :eek:

17. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Thread topic "Hurricane Wilma is coming"

Ta ta da (suspense music). ;) :)

And there is still 5 more week of the hurricane season left. :eek:

18. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

9/11 was a wake up call.

Katrina was a wake up call as well.

and now Wilma might have been a wake up call?

George Bush doesn't like that sort of thing!
    He likes to sleep in... :D

:p

19. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Wilma could have been far worse. It unofficially became the most intense hurricane ever recorded (by pressure) while approaching Mexico (and the lowest pressure ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere).

Ugh, aren't 22 storms (record setting), 12 hurricanes (record tying, six of them major), 3 category 5 hurricanes (record setting), one of the most intense hurricanes ever to hit the US (Katrina, #3), and some of the most intense Atlantic hurricanes recorded (Wilma #1, Rita #4, Katrina #6) enough for one season?

No sign of Beta yet at least.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

We are expecting Hurricane Wilma, Alpha, and a storm form the west to produce a real classic New England Nor'Easter tomorrow. Talking about 60 mph winds. So we will probably see some damage. Could be some more beach erosion on Cape Cod.

21. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Now now, I'm no fan of El Presidente but there's no need bog this storm down in politics by bringing him into it.

Besides, blame the governor of Florida--his brother! :D (j/k)

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

oh yes it is wonderful outside

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's the perfect day to stay inside and surf the net. ;)

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

best day to be at work and surfing the net because they had a sick call and you were called in

25. iGary Guest

iGary

Well, my trip was cancelled, so I guess it is a few days of my own work for once! :D