Hurry Apple - AMD ready to ship dual-core Opterons

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by zakatov, Apr 3, 2005.

1. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Link: http://theinquirer.net/?article=22289
    I guess there's no race, but AMD is planning to ship multi-core CPUs as early as this month.
    Sure hope that Apple has something up their sleeve for the new PowerMacs

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Sure Apple and IBM have something alright. ;) :)

Dual Core 3GHz G5. :)

3. zakatov thread starter macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Then I guess the real question is when...

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

~April 16, 2005. ;) :)

Released for NAB. :)

5. zakatov thread starter macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Oh please let it be true

I have $3000 ready to be spent on a brand new PM

6. ddtlm macrumors 65816

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

For NAB? Heh, I wouldn't bet on that...

Set your sights on WWDC instead.

8. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

See then this is my question - what would the line up look like then?

Single Dual Core? Then Dual Dual Core? And what about the Single Cores? Lol.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, NAB is a good bet, look for an Apple/IBM announcement on Friday the 15th.

Why NAB? Well, what is one of the must likely customer groups for a dual core-dual processor system? People who play with video.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also think that WWDC is more likely. If this is our long awaited major upgrade to the Power Mac, then Steve will want to introduce it personally during his Keynote.

11. Bear macrumors G3

I suspect that for WWDC we'll get that "one more thing" that nobody has really expected to be announced.

The PowerMac needs to come out as soon as Apple can manage it, and NAB is a perfect announcement place.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Watch, that dual core AMD chip will probably be coming out of IBM's East FishKill plant.

AMD is sort of several steps up the food chain from Apple with regards to the FAB partnerships.

So it wouldn't be surprising that they'd get more engineering support in getting stuff kicked out the door.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Ironically the xbox2 is suppose to be a triple core processor from IBM.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

triple core :eek: or triple processor?? :D

15. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Speculation at this site indicates it is 3 cores on ONE processor.

http://www.tech-forums.net/computer/topic/27643.html

"The Xenon CPU is a custom processor based on PowerPC technology. The CPU includes three independent processors (cores) on a single die"

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

cool thanks for the link, i had yet to hear about that one.... intersting indeed...

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

We are talking about server chip vs desktop chip. The opteron is not the first dual core server chip. The Power4 and Power5 takes the cake their. The PPC 970MP has to worry about the Athlon line and Pentium 4 line for the dual core race. Yes, you can argue that since the G5 was based off a server chip it could count as one. I see the G5 as a desktop chip for personal computing and not a server kind of chip( even though there is the Xserve)

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

introducing it a full year later than promised would certainly be mentioned negatively in any press coverage of such an announcement.....I'm not so sure they'll want to attract that kind of attention so I think introducing it at a different event makes more sense.....assuming they ever get it into production that is

19. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Sun Baked:

There is absolutely no way that IBM is producing the chip, nor is there any way that it would be beneficial for them to try. They have enough trouble with their own designs.

quagmire:

You can only disqualify the Opteron by making an arbitrary decision that the PMacs are "deskops" and not "workstations". Given what PMacs are actually used for, I think that at least the higher-end models count as workstations.

In my opinion, what matters is who launches the first single-CPU dual-core machine. Dual-duals are not desktops.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Then there is no race. There are already dual core chips out there. I maybe wrong that the Power series was the first to get dual core. Maybe Sun was first. I agree that a dual-dual is not a desktop. What I was tring to say is that what the G5 is meant to be for the everyday person vs the opteron being a server chip not for average joe. I wasn't talking about the high end Powermac.

21. ddtlm macrumors 65816

quagmire:

I said single-CPU dual-core.

Whereas Apple takes all 970 chips are munges them under one title, AMD takes all the K8 chips and gives them names specific to their target market, i.e. "Opteron", "Athlon64" and "Sempron". Having the name "G5" does not mean that a 970MP targets consumers. If Apple launches the 970MP as a single-dual, I'll call that a desktop use (where Opteron does not compete), otherwise I'm calling it a workstation use (where Opteron does).

22. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

First IBM is supporting dual-core Opterons.
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117727,00.asp

Second, they have Dual-core PPC
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/ibm_g5_dual-core/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/16/ibm_confirms_antares/

Also, the Xbox2 as you can see above, is rumored to have a triple core or cell processor made by ibm. there is a lively debate out there.

23. ddtlm macrumors 65816

superbovine:

Not about the origin of the dual-cored Opteron there isn't. AMD designed it. AMD is building it. End of story.

Now AMD and IBM are officially working together on upcoming process technology, starting at 65nm if I recall, but that's an entirely different matter, and even then there's no reason for IBM to fab AMD's chips. AMD is very capable of doing it themselves.

24. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Hoping for NAB, an update does not need to be at WWDC, and the one more thing... will proberly be a new product at WWDC or a new gen product ;)

Hope that they will continue to make a single chip/ single "dual core" so that they can have a resonable price ;) The rest is OK, although PCIe and DDR2 should come, to keep up with the rest.

25. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I was refering to the debate about weather xbox2 is going to triple core or 9 cell processors. I never said anything about IBM designing the Opertron or building. The link to the article said IBM will support the opteron in their new blade servers. To be specific, I used the word 'support' which has nothing to do with design or making the processors.