Husband Wants Pregnant Wife Off Life Support

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Dec 23, 2013.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The state forcing life support for a non-viable fetus that will likely have severe health issues.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/With...and-hopes-to-fulfil-her-wishes-236654371.html

2. macrumors 65816

I'm as pro-choice as they come.

However.

I see nothing wrong with maintaining life support if it means the baby can survive with a reasonable chance of being healthy.

That's what [I speculate] I would do.

3. TheAppleFairy, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

I can't pick a side in this one. I am pro-life in most cases, but there are a couple of factors here. One this father is going to be without his wife/mother of this child. Leaving him with the options of raising it alone, or giving it up for adoption. Two this woman is going to have to be kept on a machine for the next 24 weeks just to keep a child/fetus alive for someone who doesn't seem interested in keeping it?

Hope I am never put in this situation, or have to make this type of decision for someone else.

4. macrumors G3

NT1440

Wow, thats a tough one.

I can't imagine the husbands position. Lose both wife & child, or use his wife's body as a machine in the hopes that the child will make it. Either way some serious emotional and mental scarring is going to occur here. :(

Jeeze.

5. macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

If I were to walk a mile in his shoes (I hope I'd never have to) I want to try to keep the baby if possible.

6. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

As a father of two awesome children I can see that point, but it would be really hard without my wife.

7. macrumors 601

Technarchy

I would do everything down to my last dollar to preserve that baby's life, especially at 14 weeks progress and counting.

If it was under 8 weeks I could see considering this action, but for me the pregnancy is too far along to end.

8. macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

I don't know if I could recover from the 1/2 punch of the loss of my wife and child though.

9. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

I understand, it wouldn't be easy either way. Someone would consider that child their miracle baby and another would mourn their dead wife every time they look at the kid.

10. macrumors G3

NT1440

Keep in mind guys that he has to see his wife's body for the remainder of the pregnancy, and not only see it as a lifeless body, but as a biological machine growing his baby. This is just an awful situation all around.

11. Huntn, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

macrumors G3

Huntn

I'm Pro-choice but if the intent was to have the baby, then that plan should proceed (to have it) although I would not dictate that. Father and Doctor's choice, imo. However, if the Mom expressed the desire not to be kept alive on life support, she was probably not thinking of this circumstance. This is a temporary situation in consideration of the fetus, the caveat is that it is healthy. If I was to guess, I'd bet the Mom would be good with keeping her alive to allow her baby to have a life.

12. macrumors 603

quagmire

My opinion is if the baby wasn't severely harmed when the woman was unconscious, they should let it come to term. But, if the baby is going to live a horrible quality of life due to brain damage, then they should pull the plug.

13. macrumors 603

Why is the state even involved in this? This should be a private medical decision for this man and his family.

More unnecessary and ridiculous government overreach in a supposedly "free" country.

14. macrumors 6502

Jesla

Who decides what 'reasonable' is? You, the doctors or the state?

15. macrumors 65816

When it comes to the health of the baby, I wouldn't count on myself or the state to be a good judge of that.

For that assessment, I'd rely on the doctors.

16. macrumors 65816

MOFS

This is all a it odd. I feel desperately sorry for the family and Mr Munoz and his wife's wishes appear to have been bypassed entirely.
    • The lack of a firm diagnosis for the mother is strange. A CTPA is ok in pregnancy and would show a massive PE (which, to cause a coma, this would surely be).
    • The fact she has had a massive event resulting in a coma to her (with likely prolonged cerebral hypoxia) means that the foetus is extremely likely to have gone through a similar process and is extremely likely to have sufferred a significant hypoxic episode too resulting in significant disability.
    • The Texan law not allowing this gentleman to follow his wife's wishes seems deliberately obstructive to the family wishes (other articles about the case note a DNACPR would also not allow Mr Munoz to allow his wife to die).
    • The "only at 24 weeks can we assess the baby" seems very arbitrary and I am suspicious that assessing so late is an attempt to prevent any chance for Mrs Munoz to die.

17. macrumors 6502

Jesla

....but aren't the doctors working within some sort of state guidelines/rules?

18. macrumors 65816

If they are, then that's fine.

I have nothing against doctors following state guidelines.

19. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Did you read the article you posted? Where does it say that it isn't viable? This is what I saw in there.

Before I read the article I would have sided with you. If the fetus isn't viable then they should take her off of life support as that is what her husband wants and she isn't likely to come back. However if the fetus is going to be viable then they should try to save it especially considering she was planning of going through with the pregnancy beforehand. As it is they should keep her on life support until they can find out if it is viable or not, and then make the decision based on that.

----------

They are following state guidelines.

20. macrumors 65816

I like it when people follow state guidelines.

It's very ... lawful.

21. thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, I read several before I posted. The fetus was 14 weeks when the mother had the embolism. A 14 week old fetus is not viable.

22. macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is an important question that I suspect has few good answers.

Thanks for this post. I agree.

23. macrumors Core

MacNut

They don't even know if the baby will be healthy, so why put everyone through that pain. Everyone will suffer no matter what the outcome.

24. macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

The point is they don't know. So why are you assuming there will be pain no matter what the outcome?

----------

Would it really be the will of the mother to take her off life support in this situation? If it is a wanted pregnancy, I can't imagine many a mother that would not have all steps taken to try and save the baby. That being said, I can't even imagine being in this situation as the father. I would think I would do anything to try and save my unborn child but having to artificially keep my wife alive for so long would be beyond difficult and hard to fathom.

25. macrumors G3

Huntn

My understanding there are tests which will give them a good idea on the condition of the fetus.