Hustle: The Pro$ of Con

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm hooked on a new show on the AMC cable channel, which I've been watching since the premiere earlier this year.

The show is called Hustle and it's on Saturday nights (10pm, 9pm central).

It's about a team of con artists in London who pull "long cons", swindling rich fat cats out of their money, with carefully planned Ocean's Eleven-type setups. A bit like Mission:Impossible too.

The cast is great:
    Mickey Stone, the team leader and "inside man" (played by Adrian Lester)
    Albert Stroller, the "roper" (played by Robert Vaughn -- a great role for him)
    Stacie Monroe, the "lure" (played by Jaime Murray)
    Ash Morgan, the "fixer" (played by Robert Glenister)
    Danny Blue, the "wild card" (played by Marc Warren)​
    Stroller was Stone's teacher. Now Stone, having learned the trade from Stroller, is considered the best con man around. Monroe and Morgan are experienced pros too, while Blue is the new kid, very skilled with cards but wet behind the ears playing long cons. Stroller/Stone/Blue are like Yoda/Obi Wan/Luke.

The style is modern and sophisticated, with excellent camera angles and scene changes. The characters sometimes give knowing smiles or winks to the camera/audience, and they have occasional scenes where they freezeframe on the marks (victims) and the con men talk to each or to us as a way of showing what they are thinking. Even the theme music is great.

Even though you are rooting for crooks (grifters), they try to make it acceptable by showing that they have high moral standards (at least for crooks). They take care of each other like a family, and they only pick marks who are greedy and of low character. Law enforcement is rarely part of the story, so they get away with most of these cons.

Things don't always go right with their plans, so they have to improvise, and the plots are varied enough to keep it interesting.

You can read about the show here.

I recommend the show for those who get AMC, and would love to hear what anybody else who's seen it thinks of it.

2. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Characters, left to right:
    Ash Morgan
    Stacie Monroe
    Albert Stroller
    Danny Blue
    Mickey Stone​
    The website has a "Con Quiz" you can take to see if you would make a good con man. Apparently I would!

Attached Files:

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    is it an English import or an American show?

sounds good, i'll have to TiVo that. thanks.

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

It's an English show - it was on the BBC a couple of years ago. I only caught a couple of them when they were on, but really enjoyed the ones I saw.

5. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

im a prince among cons too. i guessed on all the q's.

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I've got the first series on DVD, but I can't find the second series anywhere :confused: At least I have my 4 series of Spooks to keep me happy :D

7. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Is it showing season 1 over in the US? Season 3 starts here on Friday! Yey! :D

8. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We colonists are watching season 1, since the first shows introduced the characters and showed Danny being added to the team.

I'm learning lots of con tricks. I'm sure I'll have uses for them in my daily life. Probably best if I start with short cons, however.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've seen it before it's cool. I wonder if they need some help;)

Bless

10. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

The 3rd series starts this Friday 10th March 9pm. I cant wait for it to start, my only dissapoint so far with Hustle is that the series's only seem to be short, like not many episodes to each one, or maybe it was only me enjoying them too much.

If you like Hustle, you should try and watch Hotel Babylon from the BBC too. Its pretty good too.

Lee

11. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Sorry, gotta disagree. :p I think its crap. ;)

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh I love this show! It's been going for a few years here now.

Last summer when me and my mates went down the pub on lunch from work, half the cast were in there shooting! Very weird, they were using the gents as a changing room :eek:

Albert looked like he was about ready to drop dead, I kid you not. Scary what TV and makeup can do for you.

There was no sign of stacie though [​IMG]

edit: new series starts this friday actually, look out for an episode when they're in the slug and lettuce! :D

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To be fair, it was probably a good thing that she wasn't hanging around in the gents. ;)

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

haha, but she was no where anywhere! ....not that we were looking [​IMG] much!

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Maybe she was in some cunning disguise as part of an ambitious con? Maybe that was why Albert looked so ropey, it was really Stacie in an unconvincing mask.

16. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A warning: Sometimes the TV guide here lists the show as being on for an hour, but in fact it seems to be an hour and 15 minutes. If you are recording it with a timer, make sure you get the whole show.

17. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Heh, nice. :) I will look out for it. BBC 1 9pm tomorrow people. :)

18. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Yes, an hour US is 44 minutes.

An hour BBC is about 54 minutes.

A big difference when you don't have advert breaks.

19. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Sounds like something I'd like. Too lazy to walk in the other room to set the Tivo so I'll do it online. Gotta love technology.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I always missed this. First series 1, then 2... I don't want to start on 3. Suppose thats the beauty of DVD.

Isn't this from the same team behind Spooks and Life on Mars? That godly awesome team.

21. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

haha, coming from someone in NYC too, all of what, 5 yards to the TiVo remote? i hear ya though, there's just something so wonderfully wrong about setting it remotely like that...

...i think i may set my TiVo with my TiBook as i can't be bothered to reach forward for the remote on the coffee table hahaha...gotta check Netflix too...

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Same. The aforementioned Spooks is very good, though

23. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Well it was typical Hustle tonight

People who haven't seen it, spoiler below I guess....

It seemed so ridiculous, the whole rap thing, lol. Made me laugh a little. :p The same old backup plans and how they always sometimes get out of it with loadsa money is cool, but very predictable. Oh well.. not reall anything else o say.

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As I say, I like it, and I liked it tonight. There's a lot of ooohhh, isn't that convenient, but if you can get passed that it's pretty entertaining.

25. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I just saw an ad for an AMC "Hustle Marathon" next Saturday evening, March 18. Perhaps they will show all the episodes so far, to let new viewers catch up.