Hybrid Car Rental

Discussion in 'Community' started by uspcommuter, Jul 24, 2005.

1. uspcommuter macrumors regular

Hey all,

I am thinking about going on a road trip with some friends. I was also thinking about car rentals. Personally, gas prices are high so I am considering a renting a hybrid car (if possible). Plus, less carbon monoxide to the ozone is always a plus. Anyways, does anyone know if any of the national rental car companies have a hybrid unit? (companies such as Hertz, National, Enterprise, etc.) Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Check the car companies websites. I'm pretty sure they don't rent out hybrid cars but I could be wrong. They might, but you may have to order it in advance.

I know that hybrids are environmentally friendly, but I just wonder if in 15 years or so if those batteries in them will be recycled or will they be rotting in the junk yard with the car. :confused: :confused:

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

They do rent Hybrids. Some friends of mine rented a Prius when they came out from Hawaii last year and drove to Phoenix. Averaged 57 mph. Not bad since there is no premium to rent one.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you're taking a road trip, a Prius would get the same mileage on a highway as any other car with it's engine size and power because the battery isn't used much, or at all, on the highway.

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

That's not true.

6. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

I agree...that's not true.....I have a Prius (2004)...And even in speeds as high as 60+ I can make the car run on the battery (stealthing).... :rolleyes:

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow. That is pretty impressive.

8. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Somewhat on topic- ordered a Prius with navigation system and bluetooth.... cannot wait for it to come in, hopefully in september. :)

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

"Here are the keys to your car sir!"

"I thought I told you I wanted a Cadillac."

"Oh, sir, but this is the Cadillac of Hybrids."

Know the movie reference?

10. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

There is a movie I know where the guy said

"I thought I told you I wanted a Cadillac."

"This is the Cadillac of minivans"

For some reason I think its a movie with Steve Martin in it.

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Close, that was get shorty :) John Travolta got an Oldsmobile minivan...

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Be Cool.

Man did that movie sucked.

Well I didn't think so either after seeing the mileage they get, but someone told me that it works on battery only when idle and to accelerate, and then on petrol at higher speeds, so it did make sense at a time, while not being too believable to me.

Anyway.....

13. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys still need the company name man.

"Be Cool" was a pretty good movie. Dude 50mpg vs. 30mpg on even a ford focus is a pretty good savings on gas in my view.

14. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Be Cool was awesome. One of the best movies I've seen in a while. But its a different kind of humor, not good in the traditional sense of of what I call a good movie, but really original and hilarious, I thought. And yes that is the source of the Cadillac of Hybrids quote.

15. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I knew it was an Oldsmobile minivan- haha

I don't even remember that movie. I guess I thought of Steve Martain because of the auto-pilot rental car in "The Out-of-Towners" and the missing rental car in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" (The movie was decent the first time, but when they started playing it every day on USA and TNT it gets old quickly, and I'm not a big fan of John Candy).