Hybrid CD creation - Hidden files showing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tommyf, Oct 25, 2004.

1. tommyf macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking for some help with creating a Hybrid CD on a MAC (OSX).
    I cant keep the folders/files i have hidden on my PC hidden when i burn the CD.
    I am using Toast Titanium if this helps?

Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

Tommy

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think it could be a problem to keep the „hidden“ status when going from PC to Mac. If I understand you correctly, the files aren’t hidden anymore, when you read the CD in a PC, right? I don’t have a solution for this. But you could try one thing: put a dot before the filename, so it is called .filename, and burn it again. This makes the files invisible on a Mac and perhaps on a PC, too, but I don’t know for sure.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

whoa! how'd you get the upside-down quotes? is that a german keyboard thing?

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I write the text in Word, because I’m at work. Then I copy it into IE, where these things are kept.

5. tommyf thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Veldek,

Thanks for the advice.
    Im not sure i can do that though, as renaming the files will cause issues with other files linking to them.
    But yeah, when the CD is in either MAC or PC it shows all the files.
    On the PC, when copied to my desktop, i can see there they are hidden, but if i share that and view it on the MAC they arent hidden anymore.
    So when i cut the CD, obviously it read them as visible and burnt them normally. :(
    I found File Buddy that hides the files ok, but im checking now how the final CD turns out.
    Have you ever heard of this S/W?

Thanks again,

Tommy

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Those hidden files are used by MacOS X. I believe there is a switch in Toast that excludes them when you burn a disk. I am not a Toast user, but many on this forum are. You may save time by checking the Preferences or reading the Help files.

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

if you head over to MacOSXHints someone posted a guide to burning hybrid cds on mac

NOTE: this process uses Terminal and the hdiutl program that comes with it. Also, it can a little work to figure it all out.
    If you read through the "man" on hdiutil, you will find a section about making hybrid cds and how to hide files