Hybrid Discs and Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by poppe, Jan 1, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello,

In DVD Player preferences there is the option for High Definition. Under high definition there is the option for hybrid discs? What exactly is the Hybrid Discs it talks about?

2. adamyoshida macrumors regular

Off the top of my head, some HD-DVD's have both a DVD and an HD-DVD transfer on them. Could it be talking about that?

Though, I wasn't aware that OSX was yet equipped to play/deal with HD-DVD's.

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Thats the first thing that came to my head! But it wouldn't make sense really... I just have no clue honestly...

4. adamyoshida macrumors regular

Perhaps it's useless now, and will be fully implemented soon (another thing which we might see in San Fransisco, which I've yet to see mentioned, is Blu-Ray or HD DVD in the updated Mac Pro).

5. adamyoshida macrumors regular

For that matter, given that Microsoft is selling HD DVD drives for $170 for the 360, they'd make sense as a BTO feature, at least on the 24" iMac and perhaps the 17" MacBook Pro too.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's exactly what it's for. Remember that the HD DVD playback functions are primarily for authors at this stage, and they'll want to try out both parts of their discs.

7. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

A Hybrid Disc is one that is a DVD on one side and a CD on the other. This is something that usually comes with a music album, audio on the CD side and music videos and/or high-fidelity audio on the DVD side.

I'm sure this will be implemented in the future with HD on on side SD on the other.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, that's not it. A double-sided disc gives different content when you flip the disc, and you don't need to tell the computer/player which version to play. The option in DVD Player is to select between the SD layer and the HD layer, which are both on the same side of the disc.

9. Time Machine macrumors newbie

From the DVD Player help menu:

Attached Files:

10. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I could have sworn my NIN "With Teeth" disc had a sticker on it that said "Hybrid Disc".

ah well... if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well that's a hybrid disc too, but that's not what this option is for :)

12. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh crazy... so nothing to do with HD DVD/Blue Ray?

Also is my C2D 17" 2.33 MBP able and cable of this hybrid disk?

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

That is an audio and video hybrid.

14. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

You can currently burn HD content with DVD Studio Pro to regular DVDs. These will only play on Macs.

What this is talking about is making a DVD that has a regular SD DVD structure so it plays on regular DVD players, but also has an HD version in a subfolder of the DVD. In this instance, you can tell your Apple DVD player to always opt for the HD version if it finds one.

15. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

What HD Content is available that we can put on a Mac? Our own shot HD Videos/Pictures?

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Most likely a dumb question but am I right in thinking if I go out and purchase a commercial HDDVD movie it will happily play on my Mac?

Taking into account Quartz Extreme etc.

The reason I ask is I have a HDTV hooked upto my MB to play iTunes movies.

17. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

No. A hybrid disk, in this instance, is a regular DVD that contains HD and SD content. DVD Studio Pro can burn this special type of DVD. They do not require a special drive to play because they are burned to regular DVDs. DVDs can contain audio, video (in SD or HD) or generic data.

A HD-DVD is a new type of optical disk that allows for more storage capacity. It does require a special drive to play. A HD-DVD, just like a DVD, can contain audio, video (in SD or HD) or generic data. The only difference is that it can store a whole lot more of it.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, support of commercial HD-DVD/BR-disk movie need anti-piracy tech implementation, u might need to wait for leopard.

19. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Thats DUAL-DISC

Dual Disc's are Audio/DVD Combined.

Hybrid disc's are HD/DVD combined.

- Doc

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Hybrid HD-DVDs have DVD on one side and HD-DVD on the other...

Last I heard, the external XB360 HD-DVD drive will work on a Mac to play only regular DVDs as the player software isn't set up to play HD-DVDs (yet)...