Hydrogen Powered Motorcycle.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Spaceman Spiff, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Montreal Gazette

Read this in my local newspaper a while ago, if you Google it is was featured in a good few other nes sources. I wouldn't mind riding one of these things in a couple years. If the two stations in Vancouver open up then I'll simply have to get one. Would be brilliant for commuting around town.

I read that there's group petitioning to get it to have an artificial engine noise so pedestrians would hear it coming.

EDIT: The offical website...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For more images...

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Very cool. Thanks for posting. People need this and soon. The earth needs this.

3. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

The technology is there, its just the oil barons and the governments of the world who won't let this happen. Why ruin profitability when natural resources still exist? Keep plundering them as much as possible.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Somebody is also releasing a true diesel motorcycle in 2006, that'll have so-so performance and get 100MPG with a 600 mile range.

Not really anything spectacular, but quite nice range for a on/off road cycle.

Which should make the eco-nuts crazy with the black soot being ejected out the back. :D

Wonder if someone will do a propane conversion cycle.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

man i would love one of those, i hope the governments and technology come together on this....

6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Sounds cool, and I'd gladly get one if I could ever afford it, but I'd really prefer that they make a more conventional looking on-road bike (like a sport-bike). The one in the pictures looks like some bad MX bike from a 80's movie about the future.

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I think they look kind of cool. I'm sure there will be much variety if these things take off.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But does it rumble like a Harley or bark like a Hayabusa?

Meh, I'd still love one. :)

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That would be da bomb....

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Looks horrible, and still not more efficient than just plugging the darn thing in...

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You need energy to produce the hydrogen. Kinda back to square one.

12. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Gross sweeping generalization. Honda and several other manufacturers have the capability of producing hydrogen powered passenger cars, but their production cost is several hundred thousand dollars per unit. There is no artificial government or oil lobbyist limit on alternative fuel powered cars. The limitation is strictly cost.

13. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Tell me more about this diesel bike? who is releasing it? I must know!!

14. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

At least you'd be able to choose how to generate this energy now, as opposed to gas.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed.

And when you plug in an electric vehicle, its not like no waste is being produced.

I think hydrogen is the future, but right now it just seems pointless with the way they're getting the hydrogen.

What happened to all the cars that run on biofuel? On vegetable oil and stuff like that? Surely if that can be done now, it is also the best option right now.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Wake me up when the technology to power our cars is truly revolutionary: like being powered by my poop and the emission from the car is stuff I could eat.

17. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    By then we'll also have to be able to revive you from the dead :D

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

HDT, one of the mil-spec companies.

They have a website at www.dieselmotorcycles.com with expected civilian introduction somewhere around March 2006.

Biodiesel in a motorcycle that can keep up with traffic isn't too bad.

19. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

unfortunately, the flux capacitor is on back order right now...

20. neut macrumors 68000

neut

We have the technology: poopy link

Imagine eating food that was cooked using natural gas generated from your own human waste. Thousands of prisoners in Rwanda don't have to imagine it -- they live it.

peace | neut

21. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Thanx SunBAked... You rock, and the diesel bike ain't too shabby. Let's see it in 2 or 3 years ... everywhere!

Biodiesel will be more plentiful, I hope.

22. neut macrumors 68000

neut

how about chicken poo?

Russell discovered that combining chicken waste (excreta plus sawdust or hay) with water under pressure yields a fuel that can power conventional diesel engines.

The Poop on Fuel-Efficient Cars (Wired)

peace | neut

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Comparing their fuel to chicken poop should really make them happy. :p

24. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

BMW has been working on Hydrogen for years, and has even built a car that currently 9 world records for hydrogen combustion engined equipped cars. The concept is called the BMW H2R, and was at NAIAS 2005 in Detroit not long after completing the tests that won it world records.

BMW has financed the build of many of the Hydrogen refilling stations in Germany and other european countries, and is leading in making it a real world reality for automotive transportation.

BMW is also close to world production of bi-fuel vehicles that can run on Both Gasoline or Hydrogen. If you are unable to get to a hydrogen filling station, simply fill the normal gas tank, and have the car run of that mode.

And as some of you may know, BMW also builds some tasteful bikes ;)

25. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Once the hydrogen generation problem is sorted out, the remaining problem is that these fuel cell engines need a part made with platinum to work. There isn't enough platinum on the planet to replace every gasoline engine wih a fuel cell engine.... However, I seem to remember reading recently about research into using some sort of silver alloy instead. Or something.

And I think the "artificial engine noise" idea is just too silly. Sure, here we have a near-miraculous engine that also happens to reduce noise pollution as well as other kinds, so let's just deliberately add noise pollution back in? No way...how about people look both ways before crossing a street, instead....

--Eric