Hyperlink problem with Apple mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Passante, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So it's adding 25s before the numbers at the end of the hyperlink. Just out of interest, on the tested (and failing) email, does the link show up with the extra 25s in Mail or does it seemingly add them in the browser. I wonder where the URL change is occurring.

3. Passante thread starter macrumors 6502a

Passante

Madjew

The extra characters appear to be added to the email. I emailed my work account (pc running netscape) 4 dotmac links and everyone of them is broken. The address is incorrect in the received email. I should check my sent email files to see of they are incorrect.

I've found two complaints about this in the Apple support site and filed an OS X feedback. Very odd issue.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Gaaaaah people who put spaces and punctuation characters in URLs.... :mad:

Are you sending mail in rich text format or plain text format? I think the issue is that when you paste something that looks like a URL into rich text, it gets converted. If you switch to plain text I'm pretty sure that the problem would disappear, although that's not a great solution.

Also check your encoding against the encoding being used on the PCs.

I'm not saying at all that this *shouldn't* work and that Apple *shouldn't* fix it, but also, if you just avoid using punctuation and spaces in your web page names ... you'll save the whole universe trouble. That's just asking for something to go wrong somewhere along the path....

5. glennp macrumors member

Lose the "special" characters

Lose the "special" characters from you URL (meaning the ' and spaces and stuff like &, *, \, $, and ?). That's the problem. While not forbidden for local file names, they shouldn't be used for web files - servers don't understand them and must substitute with character codes which, as you are finding out, leads to problems.

Change the filename to something like "Dicks75th.html" or "Dicks_75th.html" and you'll be good. Also, remember that web servers are often case sensitive so that typing "dicks75th.html" in you email may result in a page not found error when clicked on by the recipient.

6. Passante thread starter macrumors 6502a

Passante

Hey I'm just a victim of trusting iWeb :D

I'll take your advise for future web pages.