Hyperloop - LA to NY in 45 Minutes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by heehee, Jul 16, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

heehee

What do you think about travelling from LA to NY in 45 minutes? Can it be done? I'm skeptical, but never bet against the real life Tony Stark.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/07/elon-musk-hyperloop/

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a cool idea but I do question the feasibility and the cost of such travel

With web conferencing the need for such travel may not be all that needed.

3. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

While i've learned never to say never (assuming the idea does not violate the laws of physics as we know them)...so let's say it seems to me to be highly unlikely.

But...

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm skeptical but I long for the day I can get from one coast to the next quicker. Right now, travel to and from CA is long. Usually, travel time is about 7-8 hours if I am lucky. With time changes going to CA is great, coming home, not so much. I venture to guess if there were some way to get to and from CA in just a couple of hours (even 4) I would take the trip more often.

5. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That would be really neat. I think technologically, its possible. The only reasons why it couldn't be done would be funding and property right-of-ways along its intended construction paths.

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Funding and right of way are likely harder to achieve than the technology.

7. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Concept is really neat and if the technology is not there now, I would bet that it wouldn't be far away. But the logistics of putting this into reality would be a massive undertaking. That would be just for US alone, not even considering what world wide would take. On top of the funding that would be required.

None the less would be some real state of the art stuff.

8. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Considering the obstacles I had to overcome last year in building several radio towers, the politics and property rights to achieve this, in the United States, would be a monumental task. It may be easier to achieve in other countries where they have less regulations on building projects.

If it were like the days of the trans-continental railroad, this wouldn't be too difficult to achieve!

9. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Looks pretty cool, however, I'm waiting for the transporters from Star Trek to become a reality. :p

10. macrumors regular

I imagine going that fast would require a pretty straight route.

11. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Long gradual curves would also work. Especially considering the distances they're talking about.

12. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

I don't want to go on vacation by web conferencing.

13. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

How much would they charge us, though. :eek: And how does a capsule make bends and turns?

Edit: Guess that question has already surfaced...

14. macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't want to go on vacation in either LA or NY. :)

15. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Than you are missing out on some really good stuff!!! :D

16. macrumors 603

Technically feasible, I believe. One of the great SF writers from, iirc, the 1960s had proposed essentially the same thing.

However, hugely expensive. And I believe Musk has not included any failsafes into his capsules. Or accounted for security precautions needed.

He wants to put people into capsule surrounded by a vacuum. Any damage or failure to the capsule will cause an explosive decompression, so you need backup air in the capsule - enough air to keep people going until a rescue team can arrive. Any damage to the tube magnets will strand the capsules. Some system will have to be put into place to get to stranded capsules, and to get to them relatively quickly.

The system wil have to have the ability have the air reintroduced and subsequently removed for repairs, rescues, etc. Probably on a section by section basis.

A very small rupture in the tube, caused by natural forces or human (accidentally or intentionally) would knockout the whole tube system, unless you can divert traffic around the problem area.

I can think of many other things that Musk has not accounted for in their promo piece. So, while it may be technically possible... I doubt anyone has the money to actually build it. And if they do I think it will be too expensive to run, and prone to breakdowns.

just my 2 cents worth

17. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

how much they gonna charge for checking your suitcase? :D

even if the technology is workable, the cost of building it would prevent it from ever happening

18. macrumors 68040

Future complaints ........

I can't believe this $!@#!! A 10 minute delay? Really? I need to be compensated for this. It should not take me over 55 min to reach the other side of the country. I swear, travel is getting worse by the years.

19. thread starter macrumors 68020

heehee

I think it would be less than the cost of a plane ticket.

The estimated cost is $6 billion, 1/10 of the cost of California's proposed high-speed rail system.

20. macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Riiiight, these things are never underestimated. It would cost a few billions just to acquire the property rights along the route, never mind designing and building the thing.

21. macrumors 65816

Physically face to face is always the best. And for seeing relatives like thanksgiving makes traveling a breeze.

22. macrumors 68020

This will be awesome if it becomes a reality.

23. macrumors G3

So, a variant of the Swissmetro project.

24. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

6 billion estimated cost!? AHAHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!! Add a quite a few zeros onto the 6 for the true cost of such a project.

I do think think this kind of thing will be possible in the future but I cannot see how its economically viable any time soon. Even just normal mag lev trains are hugely expensive at the moment.

25. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

that alone should tell you they haven't a clue about what it would really cost