Hypersensitive 'w' key after playing too much WoW

Discussion in 'Games' started by floyde, Aug 10, 2005.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Like most of you already know, the 'w' is used in WoW to move your character forward. Those of you who play WoW know just how much "walking" this game involves, so it is no surprise that something like this happened, I just didn't think it would happen so soon... It seems that I've used the dubya key so much that now the slightest touch will trigger a keypress, this is a two month old powerbook we're talking about! :mad:

I was wondering if it is a good idea to remove the key to see if there is something stuck or bent beneath it. I remember doing this with my old inspiron without doing any harm to it, but I am reluctant to do it to my powerbook. Any suggestions? thx

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. hoyboy9 macrumors member

Switch your walk forward key to something else to save it! Or you could program the "autowalk" command so you press one button and your character will keep walking forward until you stop him.

4. shortyjj macrumors regular

Weird - I don't use the letter keys when playing on my PowerBook...

5. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

I've taken out a key off from my Powerbook's keyboard (and it was also the 'w'!) because it was making a weird clicky sound. I had no problems at all, and fixed it by removing a hair that was stuck in the mechanism. I just used a small flat screwdriver to push the "legs" to separate them from the keyboard (be careful though, you could break them if you push too hard), and a flashlight to see under the surface of the key (I did it from the 'e' side). I'm sure there's plenty of guides to do this out there.

6. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

OMG! I'm so glad there is an autowalk otherwise I could really injure my fingers in the long run :D

Thx, it's good to hear someone has done this before. Was it a backlit keyboard? I'm a bit concerned about the lighting...

7. Apmonia macrumors regular

I had the same problem with my new Powerbook so I went out and bought a Belkin Nostromo n52 gaming pad. It was the best thirty-six dollars I spent on gaming since, well, buying WoW. Saved my W key, that's for sure.

Apmonia

8. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

So did I! :) I was just about to suggest this! :D

Since we both have the n52, wanna start a new thread and discuss programming? I got mine last night and haven't had a chance to start fiddling with yet.

I'm really intriqued about the ability to do macros that the WoW client won't let you do (cast multiple spells, for instance).

[Edit] Link for the unaware.

9. PharmD macrumors 6502

10. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Thanks for the help guys. I think I was able to fix it ;) I'm gonna try the n52 now.