Hypocrisy at its finest....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Mar 8, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_on_go_co/gingrich_affair;_ylt=AtmHbV2z.Esj8gGJskTkmVWs0NUE

2. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Was this the one we already knew about, or is this another one? He's going to claim he isn't a hypocrite, because he was angry at Clinton's lie, not the act. That's what the rest of them have been saying. As they defend Scooter Libby BTW. But it is hypocrisy, because they did lie about it. They could have come out with the truth at the time, but they didn't. Choosing instead to hide it and only admit to it when the truth came out.

And yet he's still a hero of the same right that still criticizes Clinton's lack of morality. Amazing. Hypocrisy indeed.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Saw this last night and thought, "Yeah, we have only Gingrich's word that he would've told the truth in a situation similar to Clinton's (i.e., under oath)."

And we can take him at his word because, as we all know, neocons are the most honest people on Earth. :rolleyes:

Not to mention, we have no idea if, in the same circumstances, he'd try to weasel out of it the way Clinton did. Remember, Clinton tried to define "sex" narrowly as "intercourse", so that in his own mind, he "didn't lie". How do we know Gingrich wouldn't have done the same thing?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually Gingrich was caught lying. On several occasions. I'm sure this is one of those "established" things, but I thought everyone knew about the affair too (even mentioned in the Libby thread), so if anyone needs proof, I can find a few links. Here's a good one to start you out after a quickie Google search:

http://rackjite.com/newt_gingrich.htm

(scroll down and/or do a search for the words lie or lied, or where he lied to the Ethics Committee)

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Kind of makes it even more imperative that we all follow George and Laura's model of fidelity. ;)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's not what the tabloids say. ;)

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think you have forgotten to include Condi in your model. ;)

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If someone could find a link to Gingrich defending Libby I'd like to see it. Of course I'd also like to see anyone try to defend that Gingrich is not a hypocrite with that sort of evidence in front of them. It would definitely weed out those who've had too much of the kool-aid.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Is there really anyone rational that believes that Condi and our President have slept together? Get real.

Contrary to popular belief, there are men that can have a close working relationship with a woman without shagging her.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're right, but I highly doubt any of their names are George W. Bush.

Well, wait- actually you could be right. Who in their right mind would sleep with W? Couldn't that be construed as bestiality? Yuck. :)

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well, Newt, if you live by the sword you die by it.

I'm just wondering why this came out now and not 10 years ago while the Clinton/Lewinski was at its peak.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

:confused: It did come out back then. Why do you think Gingrich resigned as House leader? Because he doesn't really like power after all?

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Oh you're right. It did come out back then. So this is the second time this report has come out?

15. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

This time he's publicly admitting it so that he has no dirt for Democrats to dig up when he runs for president.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm sure Dobson is helping Gingrich clear this stuff up now rather than later. To paraphrase you, I can't imagine why Focus on the Family would do anything to hinder Gingrich...

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

That yahoo article listed this as being his reasons for resigning:

It seemed strange that he would have resigned because of a messy divorce.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think you're referring to this thread. But I can't see where Focus of the Family published this article. Its was the Associated Press. Maybe they (FOTF) had it published in lue of his upcoming interview.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Actually, they're all hypocrites. None of this stuff (Zippergate or Gingrich's affairs) was about morality, it was (and is) all about party politics. Nobody gives a damn who is shagging what, unless it can gain one party an advantage at the other's expense. The Democrats and Republicans are equally guilty in that respect.

That's the sad thing about Washington; there never was, or ever will be, a real Mr. Smith.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Right. And when you hear government officials resigning "to spend more time with their families" do you always believe them?

The rumors were flying pretty thick about Gingrich's affair at that time. Those rumors, coupled with his assertion that the GOP would pick up a bunch of seats in Congress in '98, which they did not, were the straws that broke Gingrich.

And then of course there was Bob Livingston, who had the same problem keeping it in his pants...

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Damn you're smart! You even got my reference. Kudos to you sir.

This interview was conducted by FOTF for broadcast today I believe. The AP story looks like it was based on an advance transcript. But FOTF is still the underlying player here. And, as you would say, I can't imagine why FOTF would do anything to hinder Gingrich.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Slept? I don't think there was any sleeping. *wink*inuendo*wink

Now you're just making stuff up. ;)

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Another draft dodger, anyone surprised at these guys? If these guys wont even fight for our country why the hell do we want them running our country?:apple:

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It was actually a joke (hence the ;) ) so don't get so worked up about it. The joke is based on the much publicized story that Condi had a slip of the tongue at a public gathering and called Dubya "my husband" when she meant to say "my president." I have no proof or any interest in whether or not she has "slept" with Bush. Now, why any one would want to any kind of relationship with George is beyond me, but that is another question.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Especially if one of them is gay.