hypocrites of the mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tazo, May 19, 2003.

1. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

It really upsets me when people are like OS X is slow. I am using an iMac at school, a 600mhz G3 with only 128 ram, using 10.2.4; 128 of ram and it is still running fine. What I cannot understand is how someone could have like a dual G4, like a dual 867, and call it slow with upwards of 512 ram. Augh. True this comp is not a speed demon, and it does not have as much ram as my comp at home (i have this comp with 384), but it still opens itunes in around 5 seconds, IE almost instantly, and word is not too shabby either. People need to grow up and realize that patience is a virtue.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: hypocrites of the mac

Patience might be a virtue, but speed is directly proportional to productivity which relates to $.

Once you get out of school and have to earn money and have it impacted by your computer you'll have a better understanding where all these 'hypocrits' are coming from.

I'm on a dual 1.25 and its nice, but try booting to OS9 and see the difference in speed.

With faster processors coming along this all might change. :D

D

3. neut macrumors 68000

neut

productivity = more **** to throw away at the end of the day

$ = how many macs do you need?

macs are fast enough. it can still keep up with my typing and if I render something on my machine...more than likely, someone else can run it just fine.

peace.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah anderson is right, time equals money. i think you just have low standards. you say your itunes opens in 5 seconds. my itunes opens in less than one bounce. the system may be fast on the dual 1.42's but doing photoshop and 3d rendering the pcs got us beat bad. i have no problems with the speed, just boot times.

iJon

5. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

disclaimer: individual results may vary based on need, expectations, and tasks performed.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

absolutely - if I try and render a 3d animation i spend a lot of time waiting right now. I'll looking forward to cutting that wait in more than half with the 970s....:D

D

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

yes, this is very true. For me, an 800mhz iMac is plenty of speed for what I use it for (ie. internet, itunes, ichat, word processing). But, for someone who is doing a lot of graphics work, 800mhz may not be enough.

8. moose macrumors newbie

I feel like when a newer OS is substantially slower than the OS it is replacing, leveling the criticism that it is slow is both easily justified, and warranted. Especially in a demanding work environment where time=$, and when not just apps, but basic OS level functions (dropdown menus, opening windows, etc.) are slower.