Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I have been kicking around an idea in my head.

Every morning after my morning workout I make these fantastic fruit smoothies. It's usually a combination of a few different types of berries, protein (vanilla or chocolate), greens (spinach and kale), and almond milk. I have 3-4 different combinations I make - all of which taste great. I'm not stretching when I say that the taste is on par with Jamba Juice, Orange Julius, places like that.

My thought is this - is there any practical, profitable way to create these and sell them online? I know there are pre-packaged fruit smoothie type drinks out there, but none of them seem as "whole" or organic as the ones I make. I have no idea what type of shelf life a drink like this would have, and I have no idea how it could be delivered in a prompt manner, kept cold, at an affordable rate.

The other idea would be to open a small shop. However, this is a business/industry I know NOTHING about, lol. The only thing that I DO know is that I am making these natural, healthy, fantastic tasting drinks at home - and I have to believe that others would be willing to pay money for something like this. I just don't know how to take these from the kitchen to the bank!

Thoughts?

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
There are a few stores that sells organic juices in downtown Toronto. They are expensive, 500ml for $11. https://greenhousejuice.com Grocery chains have a one as well, don't remember what brand they are. I'll post it when I pass by tomorrow.

I've always wondered why there aren't more healthy ready made drinks for after workouts.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I have been kicking around an idea in my head.

Every morning after my morning workout I make these fantastic fruit smoothies. It's usually a combination of a few different types of berries, protein (vanilla or chocolate), greens (spinach and kale), and almond milk. I have 3-4 different combinations I make - all of which taste great. I'm not stretching when I say that the taste is on par with Jamba Juice, Orange Julius, places like that.

My thought is this - is there any practical, profitable way to create these and sell them online? I know there are pre-packaged fruit smoothie type drinks out there, but none of them seem as "whole" or organic as the ones I make. I have no idea what type of shelf life a drink like this would have, and I have no idea how it could be delivered in a prompt manner, kept cold, at an affordable rate.

The other idea would be to open a small shop. However, this is a business/industry I know NOTHING about, lol. The only thing that I DO know is that I am making these natural, healthy, fantastic tasting drinks at home - and I have to believe that others would be willing to pay money for something like this. I just don't know how to take these from the kitchen to the bank!

Thoughts?

You should follow through by scouting out your local high school for crossing guards or janitors with prime connections to totally legitimate Polish entrepreneurs. They'll set you up and facilitate your success. :D;)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Whey protein; isolate, blend, casein, etc. will go bad after a certain amount of time after being exposed to moisture. You're looking at selling cubes of blended fruit and vegetable product. The protein would be an afterthought. Now if you were using plant based protein such as soy and or pea protein, then it wouldn't be an issue. However, it's worth noting the aforementioned two taste awful and no one will buy product from you after consuming one drink.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
FWIW, Smoothie places seems to pop up all over Long Island and they're usually gone within 6 months. A new one just opened on main Street in my town and after 2 months, it looks like they've added a bunch of other products.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
You should follow through by scouting out your local high school for crossing guards or janitors with prime connections to totally legitimate Polish entrepreneurs. They'll set you up and facilitate your success. :D;)

I totally don't get the reference...but I'm guessing it's a funny one. lol

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Aaaaah, yes. Brings back memories, this does.

To the OP: Why not some real life over-the-counter sales, first, to get some feedback? You may like what you make, but this may not be shared by everyone. Thus, some hands-on market research might not be such a poor idea before launching some sort of online business.

Take a look at the website of the (excellent) British company Innocent; they started out selling (very good quality) smoothies at festivals, and give the story of how the company developed on their website.
[doublepost=1461861841][/doublepost]
I totally don't get the reference...but I'm guessing it's a funny one. lol

Hm, how about a mad mix of business 'plans' that managed to be simultaneously, astoundingly creative, completely untenable, more often than not borderline illicit, and utterly fantastic (a word here used with the meaning of one derived from the world of deluded fantasy) all set in a sort of surreal psychological parallel universe?

Reactions: sdilley14

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Aaaaah, yes. Brings back memories, this does.
Yes. Yes, indeed...
To the OP: Why not some real life over-the-counter sales, first, to get some feedback? You may like what you make, but this may not be shared by everyone. Thus, some hands-on market research might not be such a poor idea before launching some sort of online business.

Perhaps a relatively low-cost entry to this would be to set up a stand at a Farmer's Market or local event?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes. Yes, indeed...

Perhaps a relatively low-cost entry to this would be to set up a stand at a Farmer's Market or local event?

As I recall, that is what Innocent did, and how they started.

Also, such face to face feedback is invaluable, and a lot more easily obtained than online responses are.

If I don't like something I buy online, I am merely unlikely to buy it again, and will offer that opinion if asked.

I am not, however, likely to waste my time writing to the entrepreneur in question telling him (or her) that this combination of flavours simply doesn't work for me - that is too much like effort, and a wast of time (mine).

Even if they write to me requesting feedback, I am very unlikely to respond - as I tend to see this as a waste of effort, (mine) and time (mine), and I don't much care for unsolicited communication from an online source.

But, face to face, yes, if I like the person, and think the product doesn't really work, I'll let them know, politely, what my thoughts and impressions are. And, if I am in a really helpful mood, I might even offer suggestions, or recommendations as to what combination of flavours might work better.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Whey protein; isolate, blend, casein, etc. will go bad after a certain amount of time after being exposed to moisture. You're looking at selling cubes of blended fruit and vegetable product. The protein would be an afterthought. Now if you were using plant based protein such as soy and or pea protein, then it wouldn't be an issue. However, it's worth noting the aforementioned two taste awful and no one will buy product from you after consuming one drink.

Actually, the protein isn't really an afterthought. It's more of a focal point. The idea is to create healthy, tasty smoothies that have the added benefit of a protein "boost". Health conscious, fitness conscious consumers want delicious products that contain protein. The vanilla/chocolate flavoring in the protein play a critical role in the taste of the product. And it can't be replaced by any type of "flavoring" product. BUT, you are right - the problem with whey protein is that it goes bad quickly when exposed to moisture.

The suggestion of starting out at a farmer's market or a festival seems like a good idea! Start off small, see how people react to the products, and make a decision from there.

Thanks for the input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.