Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
2016 Sonata Limited
Doesn't that already have CarPlay in it? The 2016 Sonata SE that I had as a rental a couple weeks ago had it. Plus I've been helping someone shop for a new car and the 2016 Sonata SE and Sport models on the dealer lot all have it.

aressaress

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
Good for Hyundai. I'm absolutely dumbfounded that the newly announced 2017 Acura MDX mid cycle major refresh will not include CarPlay. For me CarPlay is a must on my next vehicle.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Loving the CarPlay's retro look. Brings back the original style of the 2007 iPhone. Remember that? A great and subtle way to mark it's 10th Anniversary next year. Watch your passengers exclaim "Wow! An iPhone in the dash?. Respect, man!" Lovely. ;)

Yeah, I want CarPlay, but it still looks so out of place in any car.

Reactions: BruceEBonus

steelo3232

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
Doesn't that already have CarPlay in it? The 2016 Sonata SE that I had as a rental a couple weeks ago had it. Plus I've been helping someone shop for a new car and the 2016 Sonata SE and Sport models on the dealer lot all have it.

Depends entirely when the car rolled out of the plant. Any 2016 made after March 31st already has car play. Any made prior while still a 2016 needs this upgrade to have car play.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Good for Hyundai. I'm absolutely dumbfounded that the newly announced 2017 Acura MDX mid cycle major refresh will not include CarPlay. For me CarPlay is a must on my next vehicle.

I don't think all the specs are announced for that car yet right? The 2017 Odyssey should get CarPlay though? lol

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Depends entirely when the car rolled out of the plant. Any 2016 made after March 31st already has car play. Any made prior while still a 2016 needs this upgrade to have car play.
Aha, that explains it. Hate those slipstreamed mods. Thanks for the info.

KrawNET

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
DOWNLOADED 9GB FILE LAST NIGHT!!! --> 3hours (!)
Write to car's SSD this morning --> 35 minutes
Installed in car this afternoon --> 6 steps, lasting about 40 minutes

I HAVE CAR PLAY!!!!

2015 Sonata Sport w/ Nav

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Yes finally CarPlay!
Almost a 10GB update. I believe the maps are being updated as well.
[doublepost=1464202145][/doublepost]
DOWNLOADED 9GB FILE LAST NIGHT!!! --> 3hours (!)
Write to car's SSD this morning --> 35 minutes
Installed in car this afternoon --> 6 steps, lasting about 40 minutes

I HAVE CAR PLAY!!!!

2015 Sonata Sport w/ Nav
Why does a car update take about 5 hours? Im downloading now. 30 min for 10gb download.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 2.37.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 2.37.06 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 13,804
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 2.43.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 2.43.18 PM.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 13,380
Reactions: N8Howell33

jameskk1

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
Mine took about an hour or so to download 1GB file for my 2015 Genesis, now its taking about 30 min. to write the files to the SD card (I have 60mbps internet and top of the line iMac).

KrawNET

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
[QUOTE="Zmanbaseball2, post: 22936948, member: 730655"
Why does a car update take about 5 hours? Im downloading now. 30 min for 10gb download.[/QUOTE]

No idea, I have 50/50 Fios... And it was coming down a 2 MB/s

jonnywrx

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2009
2017 Sante Fe Limited Ultimate

No downloads link on myhyundai.com

anyone with this car get the update?

jj6648

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
Nice!
How big was the download?
And does it connect through BlueTooth or cable?
Also: can you now see the same music layout as on your iPhone? For example the albums, playlist, artists and numbers?
And last one: what does "Maps" do? Does it launch the Hyundai stock navigation, or does it launch Apple Maps? If Apple maps launches, can you also still use the stock navigation?

1. About 1.4 gigs
2. Both, settings on iPhone to change it
3. Music app is actually pretty awesome. Access to playlists, artists, for you, new, and more.
4. Maps launches Apple Maps. You can switch back to Hyundai at the home screen.

Reactions: matthijst

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
Great news. Definitely was a factor when I decided to buy a 2015 Sonata... and a 2017 Santa Fe. Not a huge one, but definitely at least a tiebreaker. Looking forward to this.
[doublepost=1464208696][/doublepost]I have a 2015 Sonata Sport but without the nav, just the regular screen. Can i not get carplay on this?
[doublepost=1464209301][/doublepost]Where can i find the download for the update? Not seeing it on the Hyunda site.

jameskk1

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
So just finished installing... couple of notes:

1. I followed the instructions inserting the SD Card and turning on car but it never prompted to start the update. It just came to a screen that said Navigation Failed to initialize. Maybe because I put the car in reverse after turning on so as to pull it out of my garage first. Anyway, I went into the settings on the system and there is a button to start update manually so I did that and luckily it found the update on the SD Card and started it.

2. At first my steering wheel controls for Siri and phone did not work, but after turning car off and back on they now work.

3. I was not able to get Carplay to work via Bluetooth so if anyone else is able to do this let me know. I only tried once because I am at work now and don't have a lot of time to mess around... but tomorrow I am off so I'll be spending more time with it.

I have had car play on my wife's car for over a year now so for those of you who are new to Carplay, be forewarned that some of the 3rd party apps (most of them in my experience) are buggy on Carplay. For example, you click on Spotify or iHeartRadio and it never launches. I have found that if you go to the phone and open the app there it will then come up on CarPlay. I have been hoping these bugs would get fixed for a long time now but they still persists. Just noticed the same behavior on the MLB app a few minutes ago in my Genesis. Overall Carplay looks and sounds awesome on my Genesis.

N8Howell33

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
So just finished installing... couple of notes:

1. I followed the instructions inserting the SD Card and turning on car but it never prompted to start the update. It just came to a screen that said Navigation Failed to initialize. Maybe because I put the car in reverse after turning on so as to pull it out of my garage first. Anyway, I went into the settings on the system and there is a button to start update manually so I did that and luckily it found the update on the SD Card and started it.

2. At first my steering wheel controls for Siri and phone did not work, but after turning car off and back on they now work.

3. I was not able to get Carplay to work via Bluetooth so if anyone else is able to do this let me know. I only tried once because I am at work now and don't have a lot of time to mess around... but tomorrow I am off so I'll be spending more time with it.

I have had car play on my wife's car for over a year now so for those of you who are new to Carplay, be forewarned that some of the 3rd party apps (most of them in my experience) are buggy on Carplay. For example, you click on Spotify or iHeartRadio and it never launches. I have found that if you go to the phone and open the app there it will then come up on CarPlay. I have been hoping these bugs would get fixed for a long time now but they still persists. Just noticed the same behavior on the MLB app a few minutes ago in my Genesis. Overall Carplay looks and sounds awesome on my Genesis.
To get it to work with wifi go to settings--> general-->CarPlay and it will walk you through the process

jameskk1

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
To get it to work with wifi go to settings--> general-->CarPlay and it will walk you through the process

Did that, but it says press and hold the talk button on the steering wheel and when I do this Siri Eyes comes up and it never works. What am I doing wrong?

N8Howell33

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Did that, but it says press and hold the talk button on the steering wheel and when I do this Siri Eyes comes up and it never works. What am I doing wrong?
That should start the setup process
[doublepost=1464214371][/doublepost]
It should show your car on that screen on your iPhone under the CarPlay section

vidsmart

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
2017 Sante Fe Limited Ultimate

No downloads link on myhyundai.com

anyone with this car get the update?

I have 16 Genesis Ultimate, and ultimates (the 9.2" display) did not get this update; only the 8" displays. I don't know if that is the case for Santa Fe's but it is definitely the case for Genesis Ultimate. Several angry threads on the Genesis forum...

Reactions: 15danielp

N8Howell33

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
I have 16 Genesis Ultimate, and ultimates (the 9.2" display) did not get this update; only the 8" displays. I don't know if that is the case for Santa Fe's but it is definitely the case for Genesis Ultimate. Several angry threads on the Genesis forum...
You may want to email Hyundai. I did about the hybrid and plug in hybrid and they said its coming as well just later. I can't see how your upgraded version won't get it.

Trevorkian

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
Newport Beach, CA

Dude, stop giving everyone false information. You are not using CarPlay wirelessly because nobody can. There is no system that is available with wireless Carplay yet, regardless of the car company

Reactions: Lancetx

jameskk1

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016

Dude, stop giving everyone false information. You are not using CarPlay wirelessly because nobody can. There is no system that is available with wireless Carplay yet, regardless of the car company

I didn't think so either but was hoping Hyundai would be the first

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.