I-35 Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WildCowboy, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Wow...an entire bridge carrying I-35W over the Mississippi River collapsed in Minneapolis during rush hour.

Link

Brings back childhood memories of the 1987 Schoharie Creek bridge collapse on I-90 near Amsterdam, NY, but this could be much, much worse. No word yet on injuries and/or fatalities.

2. macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

That is crazy! My prayers go out to those involved.

3. macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

i live in minneapolis, and the news coverage is scary... cnn does not have the local news helicopter footage... wow, this is so messed up.

i'm goign to donate blood tomorrow. there was a school bus with a full load of kids, and thankfully, people who survived the collapse helped the kids out.

this is so sad..

inital reports say it was bumper to bumper traffic when it collapsed.. at least 50 cars, and 60 constrution workers working on the top end of the bridge

4. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, my thoughts too for those affected by this tragedy. :(

5. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Really scary pictures coming out of Minneapolis. But as of this moment, they're saying things could have been much, much worse.

I hope everybody got out of all those cars that went into the water.

Weird how something like this can happen. They demolished an extremely old bridge in Cleveland, the Fulton Rd. bridge, a few months back. I should say, they tried to demolish it, 'cause the dynamite charges didn't take it down the first time. They actually had to regroup and come back a few days later and try again. It finally went down on the second attempt.

And here this thing is newer, and it goes down on its own. (Shakes head.)

6. macrumors 68000

pivo6

The pictures on the local news are just awful. Our family is just sitting in front of the TV in shock. We have friends and co-workers in the Cities and we are praying for all of those involved.

7. macrumors 68000

Newer = Lower quality construction?

Hopefully there are not too many fatalities.. this is horrible. My wife always notices why I'm in a hurry to get off bridges.. or if I'm under an overpass.. I'll try to drive forward fast..

Poor souls :(

8. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Terrible. I was in MN, last year - drove over that bridge with my kids in the car. Thoughts and prayers out to those affected.

9. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Damn...I felt that one. I hope everyone got out alright...prayers are with them.

I'm giving it several days before everyone(analyst & whoever) starts placing blame and picking this bridge apart...things like this in such times are not needed but we will get it anyway.

Bless

10. macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

the bridge that collapsed is a steel design, where each part is reliant on the other for supprot. if one section starts to go, it's a snowball affect.

the bridge to the east, 3rd ave bridge, is about 100+ years old, and pure stone. they tried to demolish it a while back with dynamite, and it didn't budge. so they rebuilt it. they thought they were going to be ok with this "newer" bridge

My prayers are going out to everyone.

11. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Could someone from the area please post a link to one of your local news sites? I'm sure they have much better coverage.

12. macrumors 603

swiftaw

13. macrumors 68000

pivo6

Minneapolis Star Tribune

14. macrumors 603

SkyBell

They say 1 dead, CNN says 5. pssh, wonder who I'm gonna beileve more.

This is really tragic. I'm just speechless.:(

15. macrumors 65832

I usually only cross the bridge on Fridays, but I was supposed to have crossed it today (but didn't because a part I needed for a client didn't come in).

They've been doing construction (road work) on it for more than a month now. And there was a notice in the paper yesterday that it was to be closed from 7 PM to 7 AM everyday this week (until Friday). I don't believe any of the construction was to do with the bridge structure itself, just repaving it and upgrading the de-icing system.

Pretty scary though. :eek:

16. macrumors newbie

local websites...

www.kare11.com
    www.wcco.com
    www.kstp.com

and others....

Really scary considering there was a Twins game at 7:00 about a mile away.

17. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Man, I hope not, but...

I really wouldn't be that surprised. Remember the Big Dig tunnel collapse in Boston a year or so ago? And didn't they trace that to adhesive applied in a faulty manner?

18. macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Oh, my God. This may sound rather clichéd, but I wasn't prepared for the pictures. :( My prayers go out to all affected by this.

19. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Coming from MN, aren't they working on that bridge already? I remember 35W being worked on all through Mpls.

20. macrumors 68040

If it's not a hurricane,tornado,earthquake,explosion or "Act of God", then it's more than likely structural failure.Which is a result of shoddy worksmanship and/or people putting $$$ in front of human life. Having lived in Boston my whole life, I can relate ;)

God bless to all the people involved....What a way to go :(

21. macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Bridge Collapse in MPLS

Full Story

So, this is very near here. Probably about half an hour from my house.

My friends were just on this bridge yesterday and I was scheduled to go on a field trip with my work (YMCA) that would've taken us over this bridge tomorrow. The fact that it happened between those days makes me feel lucky in a strange way.

At the same time it feels sad that it has to happen to anyway. My thoughts are with those who have suffered from death, injury, or hospitalization.

22. macrumors 65816

scary stuff man...

kinda makes you think of those "I had a dentist appointment on 9/11" stories

If you're religious, thank god. If not, count your lucky stars.

and, well, if you don't believe in luck calculate the probability of you being on that bridge, find it small, and say "ha!"

23. macrumors 68000

pivo6

Apparently there was work being done on the bridge, but it was just for resurfacing and not for any kind of repair.

24. macrumors regular

kbrain2929

Speechless

sorry to be the barer of bad news... but Fox News = 7 dead. Thoughts are going out ever second... :(:(

25. macrumors regular

I just read about this on USAToday and couldn't believe it. Sounds like something entirely out of a movie.