I-65 sniper kills one man and almost my parents

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bobdude161, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Article here

My parents happened to be passing through there from visiting my sister at Purdue. They were at that exact location about 3 minutes before the guy started shooting. There were hardly any cars in the area so his pickings were slim. He prolly wasn't ready to shoot at that time when my parents drove by. :eek: Talk about a close call.

2. imacintel macrumors 68000

Poor parents.:mad: Sorta lucky, though.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'm glad your parents are OK, Bobdude.

Were there similar shooting in Indiana recently (other than those mentioned in the article)? I seem to remember a highway sniper in that area a few months ago?

The yankee in me is probably blending the whole midwest together.

Indiana is in the midwest, right?

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, that is rather scary Bobdude161, I am glad that your parents are okay. :)

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Indeed. It's just a shame that the shooter finally decided s/he was ready to start shooting. Hopefully they will find the person before they get the idea to try it again.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Same from me too.

I understand how scary it can be. My Dad's car was shot at on the Cross Bronx Expressway almost 20+ years ago. Fortunately only a small "dent" in the rear 1/4 panel.

Hope they catch the bad guys quickly.

7. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Yeah Indy is mid-west.

Looked at some other articles and I found that in "2004: A man who authorities say shot at several vehicles along U.S. 20 near Angola is shot and wounded by police following a standoff. He is taken to a state mental hospital after being declared unfit to stand trial."

From here

Has some other states as well.

But up in Central Indiana (between Indianapolis and Louisville), there's nothing to do there. So you have to resort to other forms of entertainment.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, hopefully they catch whoever is responsible for this.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Having lived through the Oct 2002 sniper shootings here in the DC area, I can share the pain in not knowing what is next.

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hopefully this is not a reoccurrence of that type of sniper shooting spree. :eek: It must be truly terrifying to think that you may well be the next target. :eek:

11. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

How often does this sort of thing happen in America? :eek:

I don't want to sound like an a**, but it seems like Americans kill for fun most of the time.

At least in Canada they usually have a reason. Most of the victims were having affairs with the murderers' wives. :p

12. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i will admit there are some crazy people in this country. this is absolutely disgusting, just picking people off who are minding their own business. it makes me sick to think about.

13. calculus Guest

calculus

I don't want to turn this into another gun control argument but come on America - wake up!

Glad your parents are OK.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No no, I don't think you sound like an ass to anyone. In fact, I think there are many people here who would agree. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Unless you live in Scarborough, Toronto. That's just not a safe place. Even murders that happen in the downtown area, where all the clubs are at, seem to be done by Scarborough people/gangs. Not saying that all the people there are bad, as I did grow up there until I was 6, but a large number of bad people come from there.

We're still not nearly as bad as America, though. :)

15. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

yea, that was rather scary. one of the shootings was like 3 blocks away from my dad's house, at a gas station he frequently used. others were near where my grandparents live in arlington, va.

anyways, congrats on still having your parents. hopefully they catch this guy before he kills again.

16. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

cnn.com says the police are questioning a teenager in relation to this shooting. Nice work. Hopefully they have the right person...

Scarey stuff.

17. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Its called the news. Because of it people think crime has gone way up in America, yet it has been steadily dropping for years. Its lower now than ever before. A lot more horrible things have gone on in other countries but it never gets reported, hence the perception that its safer there.

18. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

their have been sniper shootings in my state. Is it sad that people on the other side of the globe know this before me?

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I saw that they have caught a suspect earlier today. This article was in the India-no-place Star. (I love Indiana. :p)

20. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

these people should be put in jail and never ever let out. who just randomly shoots people, either that or every single person in the country should havea gun. im really glad your parents are alright

andreas

21. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Awesome!!! Now I can drive out of the border of I-265 in peace. It's like anything north of the Louisville Metropolitan area is hazardous.

Attached Files:

• map.jpg
      map.jpg
      File size:
      202 KB
      Views:
  22. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I guess. But if anything happens in a Canadian city it's reported immediately. But most of the time the evening news is reporting things like new legislature in caucus. And we don't have sniper shootings. Once every few years the Greater Toronto Area will have a serial rapist or killer, once every few months a gang driveby, and assorted miscellaneous murders/missing persons reports.

But honestly, usually the media in Canada has very little to report on locally. Maybe new speed bumps (ooo!) or a garbage workers' union strike. Most of the news is international.

I mean come on, in a country of 300 million people America has 13 000 gun murders a year. 0.00004333 percent. In a country of 30 million Canada has about 100, or 0.00000333 percent, a rate that is 13 times lower. Something's got to be different.

23. cait-sith macrumors regular

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

Canada has a 0.0149063 per 1000 murder rate, whereas United States has a 0.042802 per 1000 murder rate. That's a difference of 2.87 times. Although Canada still has less murder per capita, we do have our share of murder.. just not with handguns. Mostly, knives. Whether murder is done with guns or knives or whatnot.. I don't think it's really important is it? Murder is murder, and if someone has no access to a handgun, they will likely find something else.

Possible reasons for United States having a worse murder rate:

No free health care system -> lots of mentally unstable people untreated

Warmer climate, temperature. Not only does this lead to irritability, but also gives more opportunity for crime outdoors (e.g., who wants to go out in -40C?)

Far denser population, more over-crowding, and more concentrated poverty (ghettos).

The latter are things Americans have no control over.. and note they are #24 in the world ranking for murder, not bad.

23,677,800 crimes committed in US per year,
    2,476,520 crimes committed in Canada per year,
    US is about 10x the size of Canada.

I think anyone that wants to lecture the United States on their levels of crime should do a bit of research first. My guess is that it's just the way news is covered in the United States that leads to this 'dangerous' preception the world has.

24. rockandrule macrumors 6502

It's amazing to see what is going on in America right now. In the city of Orlando, FL alone this year there have been over 30 murders, just as far as July. Last year, Orlando posted only about 25 killings for the ENTIRE YEAR. Now I understand why I'm more comfortable going around Jacksonville at night.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Indeed, but they have to get close to use most anything else, except for bow and arrow. They could be killed by the person they're trying to murder. Guns are safer for criminals because they can kill from a distance. However, the dumber ones might shoot themselves by accident.

There were 36 murders in the Orlando area when I drove up here last week. I'm sure there are a couple more already. Not many of them seemed to have any reason, but several have been about cars and fancy wheels.