I Accidentally Upgraded and Installed :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Capt Underpants, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I was in a hurry when installing my OS, and I accidentally upgraded instead of archiving and installing. Should I just wipe it clean and install tiger? I have all of my files backed up. Do you think I would get any better performance?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

If you weren't having problems before, you should be clear. If you were having issues with your system that you were hoping Tiger would fix, you'd be better off with a clean install.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Or if you were having problems, search here for the thread with the Proper Way To Clean Install tiger...

5. supergod macrumors 6502

I managed to do the exact same thing as you. I was having huge problems with Panther and I was going to clean install Tiger, than I decided on archive and install. I found the whole process a bit confusing, rushed, and upgraded! You know what? All the problems I was having with Panther have been fixed. I don't think the whole matter is as important as I was being told. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Unless you have specific problems with an Upgrade installation, there is no need to do the Archive and Install installation.

7. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Clean Install

It just "feels" better to do a clean install; that's probably the biggest reason people do it. I don't expect it to make a perfectly functioning system work any better than if you would have only upgraded. My policy is to always preform a fresh install after every OS X release. Primarily because I like things neat, and it's good way to clean out all the meaningless folders, files, settings, plugins, and system changes left behind by old programs. So for me it's mostly a "state of mind". Plus I'd rather rebuild my system freshly from backup data than trust automated transfers.