I accidently use Windex on my Apple 23 Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Neonguy, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    So I see greasy finger on my Apple 23. Not knowing and I'm a complete noob I spray a little bit of windex on a cloth that come with my display and start wiping it. I learn later my Display is not glass and you're not suppose to use Amonia on it. I just got a little bit of Windex on it. It is ruin? it is damaged? I check and check but I don't see any harm done. But I still have 5 days left to return or exchange it. Should I take back and get a new one? But I can't tell them that I use Windex on it. What to DO?:eek:
  2. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    Surely you've just answered your own question?! :confused:
  3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    A small amount should not do to much damage. Just don't get in a habit of it ;)
  4. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006

It a small amount, but I heard it kill the Anti Glare off. I just want to know if iy does harm with one wipe or have to do it continuesly for couple of days to kill it. It's a 1K monitor so I don't have to keep worrying about it if it still fine. I wan't to take it back though if it actually going to kill the Anti Glare.
  5. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    Sit and watch it for a couple of hours. If a hole appears to slowly grow and burn its way through the monitor, you are doomed.

More likely though is what people have suggested already - nothing is wrong.
  6. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    But how can I tell if the Anti Glare protective coding is still there? Is there anyway to tell? Good thing I didn't directly spray on it and actually read my manual afterward. But I should really alway read the manual first.
  7. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
  8. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    It is an LCD? What model LCD? How long you been using and are there any sign of symptons yet? :D
  9. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    You can use Windex on your Mac Pro G5 Xeon though. They have special coating those G5s do.
  10. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Give the guy a break, at least in this thread he admits his n00bicity. ;)

Neonguy, we're really not usually this glib and unhelpful. Are we?

11. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2005
    Clear windex or Blue? Clear is fine to use on LCD's only Blue can really cause problems.
  12. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2006
    Not at the beach...
  13. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006

It was the blue kind. I alway use CRT and now recently switch to LCD so didn't know I can use Windex on it. It also the cheap kind from Safeway. It say it can use on Plastic too, but it say it does contain Amonia which make me paronoid.
  14. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Hehe..very funny. You are just jeoulous that I got a Mac Pro G5 Xeon. Yep! How I get it is a secret though.:rolleyes:
  15. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Neonguy, I bet your ACD (Apple cinema display) is just fine and dandy-- just don't do it again.

And maybe you should give this page a thorough reading. It's Apple's official stance as far as how to care for Apple displays/ LCDs. Hope that helps.
  16. Kartel macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    For my LCDs I use a purple bottle of 409 glass & surface cleaner. Not that I use it all that often, but I haven't had any problems with it.
  17. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Yeah I thought so too, it look fine to me. Guess I'm too paranoid about it. I got the 1 years replacement which is not bad incase something does happend to it. Maybe I will extent it to 3 years AppleCare when my 1 years is almost over.

I bought iClear at Apple Store and been using that instead, and it been working great. Never going back to Windex since I'm so use to cleaning it with my CRT Monitor.
  18. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Did you read the back label see if it contain Amonia. That would be interesting to know.
  19. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Eh. I just went to Clorox's 409 site (linky) and took a look at their ingredients.

Whaddya know, ammonia is listed.

Attached Files:

20. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Oh that's not good. I hope it not one of the expensive ACD.
  21. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Ammonia is fine.... it is ALCOHOL that kills.
  22. brikeh macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2006
    I use iClean...works fine but I never spray it directly on the screen, I spray it on a microfibre cloth and then wipe the lcds clean. ;)
  23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Well..if you got it in a similar fashion to how you intend to return your monitor that you messed up (if that is what happens) then no, we probably do not want to know. ;)

On that note, it seems like it'll be fine. Good luck.
  24. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006

On the manual it said never use Ammonia, but I guess it isn't as bad as Alcohol. Some people like to mix Half Alcohol and Half Water to clean their LCD, even give suggestion it a good way to clean it give me quite a shock. Can't believe people put Alcohol on their LCD. You never know, it like sickness. Keep doing it long enough you overkill your LCD.
  25. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Here at the Apple Retail store in South Center. It's very horrible services. My 1st LCD I bought have weired back lighting when you watch movies in a dark room. Have to take it back to them 3 or 5 times. I have to nag and bitch a lot until they let me exchange another one. After my 2nd exchange..same thing. I think because my production was made late 2005. This one was a little less but it annoy me. Take it back but they won't let me exchange no matter what. Just give me lame excuse every ACD is like that. They didn't even package my ACD very good and put greasy finger everywhere. I can nag and keep taking it back to get a new one, but it not worth it. I may get even a worser one and dead pixel. I just wish with this price ACD would be better and flawless but I heard people got worse problem then mine. So guess I'm going to keep this one. If the service here is better, I take it back for exchange in a heartbeat.