I Admire Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I am just so fascinated with Steve Jobs' spirit! Considering a man that pays himself only $1 a year and manages to handle a very important job with an upbeat attitude tells me a lot about him. Unlike Bill Gates, who is controlled by greed, Jobs just simply likes doing his job and is happy to go about doing it. For a man who pays himself so little for doing an extremely difficult job, you just have to admire that! I say that Steve Jobs deserves more rounds of applause than any other person has ever received.

I wish I were like Steve Jobs. I could be, though. I just don't have enough money to back myself up on a $1 a year salary. Oh well, there's always the alternative: philanthropy. ;)

Does anyone else here admire Steve Jobs? If so, tell why you admire him here.

:cool:

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I still don't believe the $1 a year thing, I could see it more as hmmmm I need a hounderd thousand, I'll take that yoink :D

3. iGav macrumors G3

It's probably safe to say that Steve has much more than $1 entering his bank account every year......... Think of the interest he earns a year.......... :eek: :eek: :)

I wouldn't be too hard on Bill Gates though... fair enough with regards to Microsofts business practices... but he has also given some $17+ billion to charities.... and for that I think he deserves some respect for that.......

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Steve has a fixed sallary of $1/yr, but he gets some rather large bonuses. Like that gulf stream jet he got a few years back... I think it was a pat on the back for the iMac :)

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I admire him because he isnt afraid to go up against M$. :D . Mr Gates has more then he deserves and SJ isnt afraid to take some of what he doesnt deserve away from him. I like that :)

I would like him even better if a 7500 g4 came out with Rapid IO, Hypertransport , DDr, etc. came out by the end of the next 2 weeks! :p

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I really like Steve, Steve is a great guy, he has some quirks but then again who doesn't?

Ensign

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

he's just a CEO like any other. yes, he is particularly good at marketing but he's still just another suit, er, turtleneck.

8. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Question: If Steve Jobs is CEO of Apple, then who is chairman? :confused:

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(Shrek)Considering a man that pays himself only $1 a year...

Then, again, if he paid himself $1000 a year would that make a difference? :rolleyes:

I still like the Steve Jobs that kicks cameras off stages. :p :p

Before MWSF, apparently "Steve Jobs" did register and tell us that the iWalk would be a terrible name for even a PDA. Probably he's reading these posts, and a job well done on keeping Apple alive. Now we just need some faster chips, DDR-RAM, and a better purpose for philanthropy. :D

As for philanthropy, I still wonder if just $1 is enough to buy a bottle of liquor for 4 billion people. :D :p

10. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Um, yes. It would show that cares even more about money than we'd like to believe. Even though SJ has stock options, he apparently hasn't gotten himself trapped in the "I love money business." He doesn't seem like the kind of person that is controlled by greed, unlike BG.

He's not like that anymore I hope.

Yeah, I agree. iWalk sounds like a walkman or something, which is way outdated. Today we have MP3 Players instead.

Yeah, I certainly hope so! GO SJ!!! :D

Don't blame the hardware slowdown on Apple. It's all Motorola's fault. :mad:

Well, it's certainly enough to buy me a FREE iMac! LoL. :D

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

>Um, yes. It would show that cares even more about money than we'd like to believe. Even though SJ has stock options, he apparently hasn't gotten himself trapped in the "I love money business." He doesn't seem like the kind of person that is controlled by greed, unlike BG.

That's what make the rich people look very popular and charismatic. SJ looks out for the company instead of himself. BG is another story. :rolleyes:

>He's not like that anymore I hope.

He probably does it in his spare time. :D

>Yeah, I agree. iWalk sounds like a walkman or something, which is way outdated. Today we have MP3 Players instead.

The walkman I think came out in the 60s. mp3 players are much newer. They may be more expensive, but they're newer and of MUCH better quality. I'm sure some people are working on even more powerful mp3 players with newer technology, which I am sure Apple will be one of the first computer companies to adopt. Then, of course, the peecee world will copy us.

>Yeah, I certainly hope so! GO SJ!!! :D

I will let such a statement stand out for everyone to acknowledge. :D

>Don't blame the hardware slowdown on Apple. It's all Motorola's fault. :mad:

I'm well aware of that. But if Motomoron can go faster than 1.4GHz and DDR-RAM (guessing) than Apple may have to use IBM/AMD chips.

>Well, it's certainly enough to buy me a FREE iMac! LoL. :D

Easy, big guy. See if Macraffle or something like that offers one.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Don't forget all those stock options--they're worth quite a bit more than $1 per year.

I do admire what he's done in his lifetime. He and Steve Wozniak starting a computer company at just the right time was great. His NeXT initiative was also great and it goes to show how wrong John Sculley was. :D

The other side of Jobs--the tireless, maniacal, screaming, creative person--wow! In his arena, he's probably as creative as many famous artists, along with all the other artist's traits. :)

13. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

14. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

this is a joke, right? "The" Steve posted here. Find that a bit of a stretch....

15. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Would you mind linking to this post for us, King Cobra? I'd appreciate it. :)

16. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Here's the link.

Steve Jobs

Doesn't sound very Steve-ish, IMHO. Then again, I've been wrong before. :)

17. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

I highly doubt that was really steve jobs... anyway it says "IP Logged" some moderator could get the ip and do a traceroute on it and see if it leads to any of apple's servers.
    I admire SJ because he is running Apple quite well. I mean, I say to guys I have an apple and they frown and say "Oh Apples suck!" yet they know nothing at all about them.

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(iH8Quark)Here's the link.

Steve Jobs

This was around 7 months ago. And in just 7 months we've managed to post about 10000 new threads. But Macrumors has been around since 2000.

Jobs is innovative, and also the java in which we wake up to on the forums. :p

19. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

umm...I would take that to mean Steve Jobs isn't running the company well.

I have mixed emotions about his job performance. His marketing of OS X has been extremely poor. But we've discussed that in other threads.
    I admire him for his energy. But lately he seems like a car salesman. And he throws around too many marketing "buzzwords". But you have to admire his energy. He actually believes in the company, and he's excited about it. :)

20. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

I mean its tough for him to run a company that 90 % of the world hates / dosn't know anything about.

21. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Why I Admire Jobs...

Unlike so many stuffy CEO business types, Steve Jobs, IMHO, is an artistic and tenacious visionary-- I just wish he would show a little bit more appreciation towards his loyalists...

Bill

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

steve jobs borrows the gulfstream and it will go to the next apple ceo...but for now, it might as well be his

steve jobs made money with next...tons of it
    ...he didn't do badly with getting kicked out either from apple

and then there is pixar...this eventually made him worth, at one point during dot.com, a billionaire

he is still worth hundreds of millions, so that is how steve jobs can

1) own one share of apple stock
    2) get paid one dollar a year

i am sure many here, if worth conservativley 500 million dollars, could take the helm of apple for free...i would

but i admire him for his lack of greed...bill gates, before the charity thing, was the epitome of greed and quite of opposite of steve jobs

neither man is said to be pleasant to work with, and that may be their character flaws, but they are both revolutionaries in this usually boring high tech field

about the stock options??? i have never heard of steve jobs recently owning any...and the last time i heard he took a big salary for apple was in his first go around with the company

woz could have made the same as steve jobs, but he shared his wealth with early apple employees...30 million worth!