I admit I was wrong about John McCain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 28, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

C'mon kids. Don't be shy- I expect to get the crap beat out of me for supporting this guy for so long. It's OK- I deserve it.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Don't feel bad. I fell for it too. So either he's a vote whore, or he's a wolf in sheeps clothing. Too bad, I really wanted to support him.

Maybe it is just pandering, but that doesn't make me feel any better.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- it's definitely pandering, but I thought he was above that. I was wrong and I apologize. So I guess there are now no Republicans in the Fed who'll stand up against the neocons. Sad. He WAS my hero.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

McCain's been falling steadily in my eyes too. One minute you admire him for his campaign finance reform work, and the next he's doing something like this, or defending some indefensible Bush position.

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

****. That's really ****ing despicable. And yeah, I respected him a lot too...

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, I was considering voting for him in 08. Now that's not happening.

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I was surprised when he made this announcement, surprised and disappointed. Though considering Frists new position on stem cell research, McCain needed to do something.

Optimistically, it is an issue he runs on but does not do anything about once elected. Optimistically at least.

It didn't seem to be an issue before Rove though, so it may be an issue that disappears with Rove. I have a feeling that Rove is not going to stop at Bush though. I have a feeling that Rove is going to realign himself with other Republican nominees for President and try to continue to be the man behind the man, serving his own interests and the interests of those who support him.

If Rove is held accountable for his actions though, the issue may go away.

Either way, it is early in the process, and with all that has come to light it may be hard for a republican to gain the support needed to get to the Whitehouse.

9. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

McCain really could have been an amazing candidate. He has typically radiated credibility and he more so than any other high profile politician he had the opportunity to truly stand up and unite america behind a man who could lead us thru an amazingly divisive period.

But his stand on Gay mariage is just amazingly out of touch and he is completely selling out to what her perceives his republican base here in Arizona. McCain completely lost my respect when he could have seized the opportunity to address the hatred and fear of the religious right and simply say something to the effect of "As christians we cannot fear others, or judge. In "John 13:33-34" Jesus said "So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other." and in this spirit we must find our new voice. As a society we do not have to fear the degredation of marriage - for it has already failed. We have failed to teach values of love and integrity - and instead we are preaching hate and bias. When 76 per cent of second marriages fail within five years we have failed God and we have failed ourselves - and today I will not avoid this topic. It needs to be said that God is not going to punish us for allowing Homosexual Marriage; but instead we are less in God's eyes BECAUSE we are preaching hatred and we are not respecting those who do love one another. This is bigotry. This is Hatred. This is a sin and I tell all of america this kind of thing is insidious and terrible, and all marriages, be them homosexual or heterosexual should be entered into out of love, out of respect and out of a deep underlying faith that one party cannot live without the other... and that is all that matters."

Politicians can be magnificent if they lead, a true leader can be an enormous comfort and they can pave an incredible road map to inspire us to grow and be better than we are. But this leadership is rare and I truly regret that a man who I believed could lead us thru such a period has just completely destroyed any faith I have in him.

But the greater crime is that there is nobody who I can expect to rise up and take his place. Frist is no better.. Hillary is just as hollow - It is a tragic crime that our heros lie in the past and there is nothing on the horizon for us to look to.

- Doc

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Anyone who thinks McCain is anything but a conservative is deluding themselves. He is a maverick with a dislike of Bush, but he's also looking to try a presidential bid again.

He's the kind of conservative I can live with since I don't think he'll go around starting wars he can't finish, but he doesn't give me warm fuzzies with his approach to politics.

He lost me when he let Rove smear him like he did in South Carolina, then embraced Bush after the primary was over.

Also I don't agree that more troops in Iraq is a solution. He does. I at least respect him for saying we can't continue the present course, but I don't know where he thinks he's going to get the necessary people.

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

Gay marriage is only a political issue. If it was called "same-sex partner benefits", nobody would care. The republicans successfully identified gay marriage as a wedge issue to divide conservative and liberal democrats and to motivate the republican base. No matter how good McCain is on lots of issues, he's still part of the republican machine and has to support anti-gay marriage legislation, John Roberts, and plenty of other party-line issues. For example, I believe he voted to impeach Clinton. Meanwhile, he's developed such a reputation as a maverick, that the machine will never support him as a president or even a cabinet member. He's put himself into a box that maybe he's comfortable with, and maybe he's not, but that's where he lives, and we really can't expect much from him.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, good luck with that. The neo-cons already don't like him, and if this thread is any indication of the feeling he inspires in liberals and independents.... [​IMG]

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

While I've never supported McCain in anything (although I admit to being intrigued by the unlikely rumors last year around a Kerry-McCain ticket) and I don't think he is a shoe-in for the 2008 GOP nomination, I do think he is a very formidable candidate. He will be opposed by the Christian right and large sections of the Republican establishment making his pursuit of the nomination a uphill battle. But the question becomes who will he be up against in the primaries? So far the competition looks to be a crowded field of ambitious nonentities, with the exception of Chuck Hagel - who will have a even tougher shot at the brass ring than McCain. With the early primaries favoring McCain, it becomes a question of whether the Christian right can unite around an alternative in time to stop him. I'm thinking they will, but who that will be would only be a wild guess at this point. If McCain wins through to the nomination, he will be the favored to beat the Democratic nominee - including if that's Clinton. Needless to say, I wish him the worst of luck.

14. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

You know what - I am voting is 2008 and the man just lost any chance he had at my vote. I'm a Democrat, but I always considered him a stand up guy. Not anymore.