I almost had a heart attack last night

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Foxer, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Around 1am last night, I finished my mammoth task of transferring my CD collection to hard drive. I had done this once before, but due to HD limitations, I had to sacrifice sound quality. Well, with the ample HD of my new 1.4 PM, I decided to reinvent the wheel and re-record the collection at 190 KB or whatever it is. It took me a week to transefer the over 700 CDs involved. Most arduous was clicking the appropriate tracks (or rather, declinking the inappropriate ones). Risking a repetitive stress injury, I dutifully switched disks whenever my wife would let me "go play on the damn computer." I have a raw wound on my thumb from pulling and pushing discs into and out of the case logic books. Never again.

Well, to get to the point, as I insert literally the final disc last night (Johnny Cash's "Murder") into the drive, the most ungodly sound is emmitted from my wonderful new computer. I high pitched grinding sound. I worried that I had destroyed something. I eject the disc. Luckily it ejects without a problem. I make sure it is set well in the cradle - no problem. I reinsert and the same noise. Nothing shows up in the iTunes window. I eject again and assum it is a problem with the disc. Worried that the computer has finally just given up at the finish line, I get another disc that I know is fine. As I remove the Cash disc, I notice that I never removed the previous disc. After never making such an idiotic error with the previous 6429 tracks, I screw up at the end. I am a moron.

Just wanted to vent. I do not feel that I was given my due "props" at home for accomplishing this herculian task. (Although I'm sure many of you have recorded collections of similar or even larger sizes.) Sorry to waste your time.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Nothing broken?
    Still, you're a hero doing them all at once! I would have made the same mistake about halfway through.:)

3. Foxer thread starter macrumors 65816

Foxer

Nope. I put the cash disc back in and it worked fine. Yahoo! Now I only have to organize the damn things and recreate my playlists!

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ouch...that's quite a task. Don't feel too bad about that last mistake; no harm, no foul. ;)

5. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

:) where s the problem? Everything still works finem now take a deep breath, and let me congratulate you to have finished the work :)

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Foxer

Unless you are going to be burning CD from it right away, I'd say don't kill yourself.

Just do the Browser thing in the Library. The CDDB will take care of Artist, Genre, and Album for you.

Personally, I only create playlists when I need to burn a CD, and I delete them when I'm done.

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That's a lot of music you got there. Is that like 30 something gigs?

8. Foxer thread starter macrumors 65816

Foxer

27 something. Not too shabby...

9. Mr. MacPhisto macrumors 6502

I'm glad nothing bad happened. I've done that too in the past with no damage. Thanks for sharing, though. I actually found the story to be funny - because we've all messed up at some point or another.

10. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

for a fair few of us it was purchasing a pc - or installing symantec software.

11. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

at least you didn't have anything like a real heart attack. it was just your music, and you have the cds so you can redo them anytime.

believe me, having a heart attack on 20++ years really would have sucked. lung deficiency and some medicines reacting quite badly together..
    argh.

sorry, made me remember...
    :rolleyes:

12. macmax macrumors regular

i am glad you made it to the finish line and everything is still working good.

I would hate to see a macpal sad.

Enjoy your music.:D