I am a switcher-er!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by radhak, Dec 1, 2003.

1. radhak macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Is that a good word for 'somebody who makes another a switcher'?

My aunt's husband visited us a few days ago, and was shocked to see my new iMac; shocked because I have been big on PCs for years. So he asks me about it, fiddles around with it, and tells me that he was fed up with his PC. This was a top-of-the-line super-charged PC which cost him around $6500 (!) last year. His primary use for it was creating DVDs out his old videos dating back to 15 years ago when his daughter was a toddler, and the PC would crash in the midst of things, making each DVD creation a labor-of-frustration. He has managed only around a dozen DVDs in the past 6 months.

So I told him that the last time I had booted my iMac was on Sept 26, when the day it was delivered! Of course, I have not done any heavy video-editing as yet, but have fiddled around with all of iLife quite a bit (and am only unhappy with iPhoto), and I am not even on Panther yet.

To make it short, we sat down and went over what sort of configuration would be suitable for him, and the day before Thanksgiving, he went to the local CompUSA to place his order. He is at least an hour away from any Apple Store, and just 2 minutes from CompUSA, and once his mind is made up, he is very impatient, so he did not want to wait for Apple's delivery schedule :D.

His set-up : a G5-Dual with 1.5 Gig memory, 2 x 160GB HD, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a variety of software. I told him not to bother with the display because he already has a good 21" LCD.

Pity was, CompUSA did not have the video card right then, and asked him to pick the order up on the day-after Thanksgiving, which meant I could not see it when I visited them for Thanksgiving.

But at least I noted that he had forgotten to order the Airport Extreme Card to use with his existing wireless LinkSys router (he thought he could use a PC wireless card ;)), and suggested he ask CompUSA to put that in too. I also told him that he better buy Apple Care, as he is not a techie, and for the money he is putting in, the $250 would be worth the peace of mind. Did I miss out on anything?

So, for a 3-month-old Mac-newbie, I think I did pretty good, inducing a switcher :). Not only that, at the TGiving dinner, seeing both of us talking about this so animatedly, two other guests got excited enough to say they would be visiting the Apple Store to check it out. Spread the word, I say :D
  2. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    Let's here it for all the people working hard in the trenches to bring forth more converts.

NICE WORK --
  3. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    Nice work! Its amazing how easy it is to fall in love with Macs once you actually use one....

This is what I hope to accomplish with my iBook....I work with a lot of windows-slaves, and I am gonna be sure to bring in my iBook and show them just what Macs can do...

PS- All it took was Steve Job's demo of Panther from apple.com to get my dad interested....fixin up an old CRT iMac for him right now... :)
  4. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2003
    The exurbs, MN
    I am a switchmaker too

I have a family friend who I have helped with computer troubleshooting for about 5 years. Seems she could get herself into some odd computer problems...she picked up the latest bunch of viruses a few months ago (on a Dell) and I visited her a month ago and told her life would be easier with a Mac. So that day we ordered a new iMac for her, and she loves it. Not only that, but she has no more worries and frustrations. Wahoo :D
  5. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003
    me too!

I switched my girlfriend using the brute force method....I bought her an iBook 933 for xmas.

Shhh...she doesn't know yet

6. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    I'm switching my parents at Christmas with a 1GHZ eMac.

Power to the people! ;)
  7. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    Torrance, Californizzel
    Re: me too!

Hehe...That's a great way to do it.....My buddy is contemplating buying a mac as well....You know..Its weird buying a mac is more than getting your work done...I have way to much fun with the computer period.....I love my mac.
  8. radhak thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Re: I am a switchmaker too

That reminds me : i claimed to my uncle that OS-X has no virus to fear that i knew of, and that he need not even bother with an antivirus program. Did I stretch it too much, or will he be okay?
  9. rjrufo macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2002
    Re: Re: I am a switchmaker too

I'd suggest that he get an anti-virus program... just to be on the safe side. I've been using Mac's for almost two years - well, full time for just about a year - and have not had any viruses. I bought Norton's anti-virus, and also downloaded Virex from .Mac. I feel that it's better to be safe, than sorry, even though there haven't been any reported viruses for OS-X. You might suggest .Mac to your uncle, since he can get Virex for "free" that way, and he also gets the other services that go along with it.
  10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    Re: Re: I am a switchmaker too

He will be OK.

I have an Uncle that has a PC and he has 4 different Firewalls and 3 different anti-virus programs installed. Every time I go round, he has reformatted (around every 6 weeks). Using different anti-virus/firewall software together, generally causes more problems that it solves.
  11. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    Re: Re: Re: I am a switchmaker too

never use norton...ever; on any computer.

no need for anti-virus on mac...not even MacAfee. worms are only problems for OS9. OSX may start seeing viruses after Longhorns release...but that is just a conspiracy theory.

btw — radhak good job on the switch. my dad just switched a few weeks ago.

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Funny story--

I just got my eMac--1Ghz G4 with 512MB ram and 160GB HD the day before thankgiving. Yesterday I brought over a friend that has been a windows junkie since, well, whenever, forever. When I sat him down in front of it and just told him to play around...it only took him about 5 minutes to proclaim that the MacOS kicks the crud out of anything Micro$oft has ever released. Now he wants an Apple of his own.

Spreading the message of Apple to the people!
  13. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    Wait. So if you were to switch back and then switch back again, would that make you a switcher-er-er-er?:D
  14. grafikat macrumors 6502a

Dec 5, 2003
    I fall into that switcherereerer...er thingy!
    My poor G3 is quite tired, and I found myself surfing more on DH's el cheepo Emachine of all things...blech! (He needs it for a pkg not available on macs). (I also used a Dell at my old office...but no more...different topic). It is so fast next to my poor mac, even after a major upgrade that I bit the bullet and got ordered a G5 1.8 dual (Phew! Glad I waited that extra week, or it would have been a single!)

Anywho, I'm looking forward to working on a mac again! Yeah!