I am a switcher. HEAR ME ROAR!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrianSalts, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BrianSalts macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006

I just got my blackbook today. My first mac ever. And I'm really enjoying the experience.

Now I have a few questions:
    1. best program to use if i want to use the webcam on my macbook with msn messenger (i know it doesn't work on the official msn, but any other programs?)
    2. cool widgets that everyone has
    3. best mac browser (other than safari)
    4. how come the function keys (f2, f3, f4) dont work with office excel as it does with office excel on a pc?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Glad you're enjoying it!! :D You're part of the club now ;)

1. aMSN It's slow and glitchy, but it works for webcam. I use Adium most of the time, and then if someone asks for webcam, I switch over to aMSN.

2. Go Go Redball! Is pretty cool. Hula Girl 3 is pretty good fun too. I use widgets all the time, but I don't have that many...

3. Firefox! I personally think Safari is best.

4. You need to press FN+F10 (or whatever F key you want for that. If you want, you can change it so that the function keys work like normal in the KEYBOARD & MOUSE section in system preferences...
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    1. aMSn works, but can't handle video and audio together.
    2. no, widget costs memory
    3. firefox for extensions, 2.0 is really nice
    4. ............
  4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    The last time someone roared on this forum, it was to proclaim their gender. :)
    2. I like the Dilbert cartoon widget, gives me a chuckle each morning to start my day.
    3. Try Opera. It is fast and CSS compliant.
  5. BrianSalts thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
  6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    for broswer, camino or safari
    widgets i used to have about 30 but the memory..... i had a ho corner and when i accidenty went there it took about 3 minutes to load them up, so im down to 5 basic "helping widgets" that help me with school work.
  7. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006

ooooooo babay!
  8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    1. no idea, i use aim
    2. the movie times widget
    3. well, safari is the fastest free mac browser
    4. because
  9. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    2. i just use istat pro and weather
    3. i like camino

check out quicksilver. it has to be my most used free app.
  10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    I know you meant "hot corner", but that was really funny! :)
  11. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Get Little Snitch personal firewall at Version Tracker or MacUpdate.

Temperature Monitor is another handy mini application.

As long as your P/C friends have AIM, you'll be O.K. in iChat.

If you must converse with MSN download Adium.

Before you get rolling too far along, it's best for your security to run
    all your normal functions on a secondary Super User account.

You're primary Administrative account should only be used for Installs and maintenance.

Your secondary Super User account should be set to allow anything you normally
    do but with no install privileges.

Nothing can be installed without your administrative password.

Also each time you install an application, you need to repair permissions.
    Use Disk Utility in your Applications/Utilities folder.

I absolutely hate the Dock shadow.

Go to Verison Tracker and check out Unsanity " Clear Dock "

It's also a good idea to read through the MacRumors Beginners Guide.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    I fall into the category of those who prefer the Dock looking the way it's supposed to over the Clear Dock style. I like having a container, and I think it looks more "tidy" and under control, as well as making it clear that Dock icons are not the same as Desktop icons.

You should make up your own mind about that.
  13. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    I have a dark desktop wallpaper and like my dock icons just floating there with
    bright "application running" arrows.

To me it makes the desktop look less cluttered.

I also keep a STORAGE folder on my desktop to hold all the other loose unsorted
    stuff I've accumulated until the folder size is large enough for me to burn what I want to save to disk or put it away in it's proper place in my Home Folder.

14. BrianSalts thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
  15. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
  16. Mernak macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2006
    Kirkland, WA
    1. aMsn or ichat w/ AIM users
    2. iStat
    3. Camino or Firefox
    4. use fn + f1 or whatever or go to "system prefs">"keyboard and mouse" >check "use f1 - f12 for software features"
  17. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2006
    One thing I notice from those photos, which is extremely typical of a switcher, is the fact that you're running every window/app in full screen :D
    I'm not having a dig, I've just noticed so many windows users reverting to that on a Mac, whereas I don't run any apps with the window taking up the whole screen (with maybe the exception of iPhoto sometimes)
  18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    That is exactly what I was going to say :D

I also noticed this when I was at work and PC tech guy had to fiddle with my mac (hes never used one before) he kept maximising the windows and then closing them again to get to the desktop. It was really funny to watch! I then spotted an opportunity of showing him the cool minimise effect which he really liked. Then I blew his socks off with exposé. :D
  19. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Not always a good idea.
  20. NextTuesday macrumors member

Aug 31, 2006
    Cork, Ireland
    Thats interesting because I'm just after switching back to Windows (only until my MacBook arrives) and I run all my app's in full screen, because Windows just isn't as good for multi-tasking and when you don't run in full screen, a lot of information isn't being displayed and it just looks uncomfortable.
  21. BrianSalts thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
    i onno i just find it uncomfortable to have so many windows open and not at full size. plus, tha macbook screen isnt that big and browsing the web full screen would be pretty dope so i do that.

i use expose a lot. i have a lot of windows behind :p
  22. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Feb 21, 2006
    In general I think it is nice to make use of the full screen in an application. This is especially true on small screens. Most of the Windows floating around next to currently used one are not used anyhow.

One reason, why it is not done on a mac might also be the case that there is no button, which maximizes a window to the full screen.
  23. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    see sig for my fav apps

sexy macbook. I want it!
  24. Foggy macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2006
    London, UK
  25. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    Because a PC tech guy wouldn't know the MINIMIZE function on a PC? Come on now guys, minimizing really isn't an earth-shattering "Mac only" function...