I am a Time Traveler from the Future. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Mar 2, 2007.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

John Titor. When I first heard that name, I was but a innocent, awkward freshman in high school with a affinity for all things science fiction. Even at the tender age of 15, I knew this was bullsh*t.

I was sitting in Starbucks last night sipping my spanish latte and minding my own business when I overhead these two seemingly sensible looking young men talk about donating money to the John Titor foundation.

"No ***** way, I thought to myself. People can't still be on that!"

A quick search on Google revealed several dozen dig comment threads about John Titor, filled with people who actually believe this guy's foreal! How anyone with a good sense can believe this bs is beyond me. I guess I now know how Scientology gets such a following with their incredulous "theology".

If that name means nothing to you then perhaps the following Wikipedia entry will help.

[​IMG]
    Image of the "time machine"

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't these idiots know anything, a tackle box time machine ... when all real time travelers would alter a Tickle Me Elmo or Teddy Ruxpin.

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

lol, John Titor. To some extent I believed this mid-last year when I spontaneously researched that idea of time travel after watching Donnie Darko.

His pics also seemed quite legit. and explain the random dissapearing. any IP tracking...

oh and that image isnt of the time machine as such but of the device used in conjunction with the time traveling delorean vehicle. or whatever he used, cant remember exactly...

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I just watched Back to the Future last night... there was a marathon on WGN last night...

What a great movie!

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The real question is.. Who owns the story rights for the movie.

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    There was a guy who wanted to buy a time machine to go back in time and undo changes done to his life by other time travelers.

I wish I had saved some of those spams. They were hilarious.

7. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

you can't seriously believe this ****.

8. shecky Guest

shecky

honestly, i would much sooner believe in this than i would in all the religious bullcrap spouted on here by certain individuals over the past week.

not saying i do believe it at all, but its a hell of a lot more likely than god.

9. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Well the topic isn't whether you believe this story more than god. The topic is what kind of a moron would buy this junk.

10. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Time travel is BS - I know, or at least I think I do...you see I followed a simple plan that can only have 3 conclusions.

I wanted a distant relative to come back in time and let me know. I droppedthat thought in my head and passed it on from generation to generation.

Outcome:
    1. Time travel is not possible
    2. The world ends
    3. My geneology is stopped short of reaching the period of time when it becomes possible.

I know, I know - you would all pick 3 as it is the most logical conclusion versus giving up on the other logical conclusions in 1 or 2. In reality they could all be equally probable...;)

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I remember when this first came out.

Nobody was readily convinced, but the guy definitely spun an interesting story. It was pretty funny at the time, but the guy really kept it up for a couple of months. The pictures were pretty cool if I remember correctly, he even posted a manual on how to use the machine.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised that its all still going on.

In this day and age, he would be tracked down immediately. Back then, nobody really cared enough to find out who he was.

When you get some time, do a google search for the original posts. If not anything else, it is highly entertaining. It also makes you think... What if...

The story doesn't come off as hokey as the OP made it sound.

I have to say, it was one of the best leg pulling adventures I've ever seen on the internet.

For the lazy, here is the archive page of the original threads:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010405011723/bbs.artbell.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=25

12. shecky Guest

shecky

yes, i know. its also a forum where people are allowed to post tangential opinions on a topic.

the point being that there are morons who believe in god all over the place, but they are not (usually as) belittled as the ones who believe in time travel. seems to me they should both be equally considered moronic at the very least.

13. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Or someone down the line forgot to pass along the request. Or someone did try to come back to visit you once it was possible, but then someone later yet in time went back and stopped that person... And to clean up that mess, someone later yet again went back and destroyed all knowledge of time travel. :eek: What have you done?!?

14. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

does anyone reading this thread watch Jericho?

15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Slightly off the topic...but what's in a Spanish Latte?

16. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

more milk and sugar!?!?!? I'm not sure. ... and yes, I watch Jericho. great show!

17. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

18. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I don't think so, but in Jericho, they talked about how the US is in divided into different parts... like John talked about. And they said that there were different capitols...

19. shecky Guest

shecky

maybe spanish lattes came from the future and carbonmotion is a time traveller! there is no mention of them on the starbuck's site.......... in 2007!!!!

that would be ironic.

::: sighs :::: kinda a slow day at work today.

20. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

or maybe im jesus coming to tell you to change your atheist non believing ways.............

21. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

So, John comes from a TV future... :cool:

I think you need a Spanish Latte

22. shecky Guest

shecky

ohh! that would be even more delightfully ironical. :D

23. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think time travel is entirely possible in theory. I highly doubt we will be able to do it anytime in the near future and maybe not ever. But really, why not someday? There are so many mysteries in this universe and we've barely scratched the surface, why can't this be one of them?

Oh, by the way, this guy is a total nut.

24. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Actually, there is a fourth possibility – I remember reading some physicist fella once who put forward a theory that it would be impossible to travel to a time before the time machine you were using existed. So if time travel isn't invented before the end of your life, you won't get to meet future ziwi. I couldn't tell you the reasoning behind this theory, though.

25. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the vulcan high council has determined that time travel is impossible.

that's all i have to say.