Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
AS the title says I am dieing waiting until after MWSF to get my MacBook. Now, I don't carea bout new models, because I'm buying a refurb. I do care about new software though. I'm figuring iLife 07 will be released and will come with the refurb macbook after mwsf. is teher any way I could get an upgrade coupon if I bought it soon?

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
SCREW THIS SCREW THIS ...I feel liek poop. everyone else is gettign their presents (I'm 15) and im jealous. I tild my dad that i woudl get an upgrade coupon if i ordered within 2 weeks. ahs knows nothign so he doesnt even know what we were waiting for. Even if I don't get the coupon...there are other ways to get software...:D so....tomorrow I am ordering a refurbed CD BLACK BOOK and a STM Small Alley 13-inch Shoulder Bag

ricksbrain

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Miami, FL
iLife '07 will only come pre-installed after refurbs are available, likely with Leopard. That will probably not be until about next Summer.

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
really?...YAY

does anyone know if they carry that bag, or any bag at he Apple Stores?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You know, I thought this wasn't true, but then I just looked at the refurb site, and they list PB's as still coming with iLife 05 now. :eek: Has anyone bought one any time recently? Is this really true? I thought it used to be that they would image these computers with relatively recent versions of both iLife and the OS.

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
it sounded liek you meant refurb bags and cases...i didnt think they existed...do u mean they dont carry refurb macbooks or what?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Some of the stores may have refurb Macs. They also sometimes have refreshed Macs -- the distinction, as far as I know, is that refreshed Macs are non-defective returns that are only cursorily processed on-site (at the store). That is, they're sort of more like open-box sales. As long as you inspect it quickly yourself and see what's in the box, and make sure you're getting everything, though, they're still good deals. They carry the same warranty, etc. I actually bought a demo unit Canon Powershot from the Apple Store in Troy, MI, for an amazing (at the time) price, and I've been very happy with it.

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
i'm goign to the Apple Store in Novi, Michigan...a pretty decently siZed one. do you know the exact deal on the refreshed macbook. the refurb is 999...i'll just have to order it online if it is much more:eek:

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
If you buy a computer before the software is announced, you will have to pay full price for the software when it comes out. The upgrade coupons typically cover people who buy a machine after the software is announced but before all product lines can be shipped with new discs.

DO NOT COUNT ON UPGRADE COUPONS. If iLife '07 is that important to you, wait until it is announced.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
i'm goign to the Apple Store in Novi, Michigan...a pretty decently siZed one. do you know the exact deal on the refreshed macbook. the refurb is 999...i'll just have to order it online if it is much more:eek:

From what I've heard, the stores have pretty broad discretion on pricing for these, but I'm not 100% sure. Good luck!

P.S. is the store in Novi at Twelve Oaks? It's been a while since I've been there, but how is Twelve Oaks? I always preferred Sommerset, but then I lived 2 miles from it. :eek:

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
I haven't been to 12 Oaks in a while, but last time I wqas teher it was pretty nice. I live in Brighton, about 20 mins north of A2. They just built a new mall in Brighton. We now have liek 3 roundabouts...which are hell to drive through and a huge new mall!

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
AS the title says I am dieing waiting until after MWSF to get my MacBook. Now, I don't carea bout new models, because I'm buying a refurb. I do care about new software though. I'm figuring iLife 07 will be released and will come with the refurb macbook after mwsf. is teher any way I could get an upgrade coupon if I bought it soon?

Your dieing over a $79 piece of software? Man you kids have it rough these days. :rolleyes:

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
Your dieing over a $79 piece of software? Man you kids have it rough these days. :rolleyes:

no, first of all it's an expression. and 2nd of all...i was referring to the fact that I was waiting 2 weeks for my present when everyone else already ahd theirs. nopw i don't need lectures about how grateful I should be to get a macbook, much less a pack of cigareetees and a beating from my dad:p

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
no, first of all it's an expression. and 2nd of all...i was referring to the fact that I was waiting 2 weeks for my present when everyone else already ahd theirs. nopw i don't need lectures about how grateful I should be to get a macbook, much less a pack of cigareetees and a beating from my dad:p

hey get your facts straight, it was a carton of cigarettes :p

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
You know, I thought this wasn't true, but then I just looked at the refurb site, and they list PB's as still coming with iLife 05 now. :eek: Has anyone bought one any time recently? Is this really true? I thought it used to be that they would image these computers with relatively recent versions of both iLife and the OS.

What happens is.....actually lemme just tell my story. I bought a refurb PB earlier this year and it DID come with iLife 05 (hi-res powerbooks were released in Oct 05). However, they threw in an iLife 06 CD in as well so in essence i had two iLife suites. If i installed from restore CDs i get 05 so to get 06 i had to use the separate CD set.

Bottom line, you get the iLife suite that ships originally with your refurb system. However if you buy in say 2007, they'll also throw in the current version of iLife....in this case 07 if already released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.