i am an idiot

Discussion in 'Community' started by barhnt, Feb 28, 2003.

1. barhnt macrumors member

i had started a download on IE and decided i did not want it. then i could not trash it. tried for days. spent hours in the terminal and was going to go in unix and force it to trash by code. just on a fluke i decided to startup in OS9 instead of OSX. I found it in there and trashed it.... OMG all those hours spent. I totally forgot about OS9 being on my computer because i always use X. no need for me to be in 9. I have had this computer for 3 months and never opened OS9...lol
    I can answer so many questions about mac for others but when it comes to myself i swear my braains fall right out on the floor.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

don't feel bad... if you couldn't get it to delete via the terminal, you were probably using the wrong command that whole time anyway.

:D
    pnw

3. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

yes i was... i was so angry that i could not get rid of it. i just did not take the time to think it out. oh well now i know the easy way. lol

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've had my MacOS X system since last year and have yet to start Classic on it or boot under Mac OS 9. I decided to force myself to buy, learn, and use all X-based software rather than slip into my old comfortable software and habits. So far it has worked.

I felt a little wobbly when I first used X, after having been the master of the universe under Mac OS 7, 8, and 9. I got frustrated a few times. Now I'm just competent, not an expert, under X, but that's fine. I'll learn more as I use it more. That's part of the fun.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm the exact opposite. I can fix any of my own problems, but
    I can't fix people's problems when they come to me for help...

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: i am an idiot

You could have opened Internet Exploder's download manager and deleted it from there. :) That's something the Windows version doesn't have and doesn't do.

7. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

I did delete it from the IE download manager but it was still on the desktop. would not delete from there at all. that was the first thing i did to no avail.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Don't be too hard on yourself. Just take a slow deep breath. Patience, at least you eventually figured it out that's what is important!

9. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Yes, the knowledge needed to remove internet exploder is all important :D

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Look what happens when you remove IE from Windows:

11. Mac til death macrumors regular

Can't argue with that... ;) :D

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

but he just joined!!!

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The post ends prematurely? :D

Mac til death: Don't do that...it's my job. :D

14. Mac til death macrumors regular

yes sir! ;)

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

You know you could have posted your problem here.

We have told you about Force delete apps, terminal commands or booting into OS 9.

Remember there is always people around to answer you, and if you keep bumping your topic up like I have and unless people hate you, you get an answer. (Maybe) ;)

Don't be down on yourself.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

After the supportive comments of fellow Mac Forum members, has your confidence been restored? ;)

17. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone . :D I would have posted here about it when it was a problem but i really thought i could figure it out.... and i did eventually. sometimes i just get really into solving a problem and I refuse to give up until it is resolved. I am just weird that way. :cool:

18. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Re: i am an idiot

Same damn thing happened to me few months ago. I also found the OS 9 way of deleting files that dont want to leave.

19. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

glad to see i am not alone Markjones. I was starting to think i was the only one who has had this happen to them. :)

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm the same way, just can't give up untill I figure something out. It's not weird, you are persistant! ;)