I am ashamed of my school!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by kuyu, Mar 11, 2004.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Last Sunday, Florida came to Rupp Arena in Lexington to play the Kentucky Wildcats. It was the last game of the season, and senior night.

Florida is our #1 rival. There star player, Matt Walsh, was taken off his game by the chant from the student section "Walsh is gay". I'm a student, and was at the game standing in the student section, and this pissed me off.

It's one thing to boo (which I did), taunt (go home walsh...which I did), but this chant was uncalled for.

Kentucky has been trying to overcome the hillbilly stereotype for quite a while, and this was definately a step back. Our AD issued a letter of apology to Florida. He should have let some students sign it.

Any thoughts or related stories would be appreciated.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

yeah... your fans were RIDICULOUS... could definitely hear the chant on tv...

any respect i had for your school, gone. flat out, gone. and yes, a select few ruined it for everyone. there is razzing another team, and then there is being completely and utterly direspectful...

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

that really sucks the fans were chanting that.

on the other hand, your response shows your school is not full of "hillbillies", and maybe you can organize a separate apology just from the students.

that would be more powerful than one coming from the administration, it would show the students themselves care.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thats is a little extreme. well atleast you won. good luck with the win today as well, go win the sec tourney and go win in the ncaa for the sec, woot.

iJon

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

bad coach

i did my first two years of college at a cal state campus and when i root for basketball, i like it when one of the state campuses goes far ...actually, in any sport

one year, we got a very famous coach from another state to take over one of the cal state basketball teams and he stocked it with some felons, a couple violent, and a few rapists

what made me upset is that the school, which is accredited, let these thugs enter school and let some graduate, even though they were behind bars or not in class, in any major they chose...and only if they could shoot hoop even though one of them was a convicted murderer

at what price do we want to pay to have a team win?

hey coach, who i won't mention, why don't you recruit a few al qaeda soldiers with box cutters and put them on the court to help your god damn team win??

6. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I watched that game in a noisy restaurant. I totally missed those chants. I don't watch much t.v., I'm assuming it was all over the local news? I was already ashamed of those people for the way they treat Pitino year after year. This just makes it worse. I used to hang out in the campus area a lot. (Tolly Ho's, Paisley Peacock) UK is definately not full of hillbillies. Small minded people just tend to be louder than people who are just trying to have fun. I'm still a UK fan all the way, but I hope Louisville beats us every year until the "Pitino must die" crap subsides. The rivalry is fun, but my God they are downright mean to this man! We now have three good, fun rivalries, with Indiana, Louisville, and Florida. I wish these hicks wouldn't try and make it anything more than what it is.

7. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Walsh is gay...

So what? Am I missing something here or why is that "sooo bad"?

Maybe it's childish, but's that it. Don't get why americans pee in their pants because of harmless things like that while a lot of other things, way worse than that, are getting out of hands in their country.

Get a life...

groovebuster

8. TBR macrumors 6502

Not trying to start anything just wanted to say that you americans seam to be way too touchy, in England you will hear a lot worse at a football match.

9. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

yeah, you guys (and a good deal of europe) get pretty riled up sometimes about that, ...sometimes when theres rioting it makes headline news stateside

10. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Careful, you're running on thin ice here. That seems almost inflamatory. I guess discrimination is OK in Germany, but I'd rather not encourage it here.

timDaddy, glad to see another Kentuckian here. I love the Ho and Paisleys. Both cool places.

We beat Georgia today. They beat us twice this year, but I guess we won when it mattered. I've got to give them credit though, they played an excellent game. My hats off to Felton and co.

11. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Yep, I just watched the GA game. It was pretty close for a bit. I don't have a lot of faith in the Cats once the heat is turned up, so I was bracing myself for a loss. Go Cats!

About the fan harrassment, I am not exactly riled up. It is just extremely annoying, and quite embarassing. I feel like those people are what a lot of America is going to picture when they think of a Kentuckian. Did I mention that it gets annoying?

"Youuuuuuu Suuuck!!" "Brick" "Air-Baaalllll!" "Choke, choke, choke!" These are all just silly crap to yell at a basketball game. Calling someone gay, whether they are or not, is a stupid thing to say. And, Rick Pitino rebuilt our basketball team from nothing. Is he supposed to never work again, now? How about "Nice to see ya, Rick. You're going down." Why try so hard to hurt the man's feelings? He came down here made a lot of friends, won a lot of games, and kind of had a place in his heart for Lexington. Now, he is probably beginning to think of us as a bunch of hillbillies, and rightly so, for the way he's been treated. I, for one, welcome a powerhouse team at Louisville. I just didn't want them to beat Kentucky!

12. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

I can totally see where you're coming from. Speaking from experience of my school, and just those people I come into contact with, the term gay is thrown about here all the time. Here in the UK, 'gay' isn't really taken as an insult, it's said so often. Now of course, I completely understand why you would get annoyed, because it puts down your school. Here, it's said so often nobody even bats an eyelid. But obviously, things are different in different places. And I'm with you on this one - it's rediculous to insult someone based on their sexual orientation, with no knowledge of their inclination whatsoever.

Of course, you only had to watch the diabolical United - Porto match in the champions league to hear what's shouted at football matches - "the referee's a w*****". It fitted though; did anybody SEE Carlos Alberto's theatrics? Benni McCarthy kicking the ball away in last minute of extra time? The linesman disallowing Scholes second goal when he played onside by THREE players? Joke...

peace.

13. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I found it to be funny myself. Thousands of screaming fans. ahahahahaha.

14. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

And does that make it right?
    I equate calling somebody gay about as dispicable as calling a black player a n****r. And I know nobody thinks that's OK...well, anybody with an ounce of decency.
    We're not touchy. Perhaps we Americans aren't as uncouth as you Europeans make us out to be.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I thought gay was the preferred word?

16. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Shouting that at the ref was funny - and well deserved! But the result sucked, lol. Ah well, can't have everything :(

peace.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

*i don't know either team nor any player
    *i don't know if the player is gay or not ..and i don't mind either ..('jedem tierchen sein plesierchen' = "everybody's own business" translated it doesn't ryhme ;) )
    *what was reaction of the player ? i don't know

football without chanting,'the wave',etc. would be boring for me and many other people who enjoy watching games.. the 12th player is part of the game
    without that there wouldn't be any sense in playing 'at home'

i'm not chanting insulting but if the referee isn't fair to both sides equaly or a player is fouling/behaving like an a..hole ,well then it means: "you reap what you sow"

18. womencantsail macrumors member

I'm no angel when it comes to sporting events, but that does cross the line. I love a good insult, but that is just stupid.

I heard that this year when Duke (BOOOO!) went to Maryland, the MD fans were chanting things, and had t-shirts with phrases, much worse than the above mentioned chant.

19. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I'm just chuckling at this. If any of you remember, this also happened at Maryland a month ago. Since Maryland is close to DC area, it seems it was too easy to get national coverage for our "classless" fans and their "profanity". It seemed like pretty much any newsprint out there decided it was there chance to strike against the Terps and their fans.

Of course, the "Act Like You Know" promo video is playing again rite before the game. Common phrases like "A-***" and "BS" are typical college bball vocabulary. The "Walsh is gay" common is nothing extraordinary when Duke was considering bringing plastic bags filled with flour when MD came to play @ Duke (for DJ Strawberry); or when Virginia fans screamed "crack baby" to Juan. There are countless things being said out there, and while this is indeed rather profane, it is certainly not a suprise.

20. womencantsail macrumors member

I apologize if I came off as meaning that MD is the only school where this happens. I know that things like that happen at many schools, but that one is the only one I can remember.

21. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well its not your fault. I mean, who could forget when The Post, Times, B'more Sun, whatever newspaper you know probably printed an editorial on this.

22. Awimoway macrumors 65816

And your point is? :confused: In case you didn't know, we over here are well aware of English soccer hooligans' antics, and I wouldn't exactly hold them up as any sort of standard to admired. :rolleyes:

Some people believe that going to a sporting event does not entitle you to check your human decency at the entrance gate. Even more bizarre, some people actually go to see athletes perform at what they do best in a mature and controlled manner. They do not go to start brawls or insult people.

23. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Well I don't agree with accepting students who don't qualify academically to be there, and I certainly don't agree with graduating students who don't meet the class requirements. But on the other hand, I disagree with you that it is inherently wrong to bring convicted felons onto campus. You seem to be implying that anyone who has broken the law can be written off entirely, denied all rights, privileges, and opportunities. We in this country are obsessed beyond all reasonable limits with avenging and punishing and condemning convicts. It only aggravates crime rates when you write people off and shut them out.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if the felons did their time, then they paid their debt to society...but coach $$$$$$$ was using felons currently serving time and somehow he leveraged their release which shows the power this guy has...some of them committed crimes while they were out and where they would otherwise have been in jail serving out their time

of course, to no surprise these active felons/convicts were very good, and intimidating brutal players...

but no matter what, it's ok to use felons if

they did their time
    and they qualify by the most minimal standards possible

what is crazy is that these guys, if they produced, were graduating with science and business degrees if they wanted...if i ever hire somebody from that college who played basketball, i will check them out very carefully first ;)

i don't have anythng against felons and i had a two time felon work for me for a couple of years and he did a great job...the ironic thing is he got accepted for a full ride to arizona state but then right before college, he went to jail for arson by burning a podium at school as a senior prank...he was 18 so the book was thrown at him

my alma mater used to have a program for recovering drug addicts, some ex-felons, in a safe house and brought the school to them so they could finish their bachelor's and master's degrees...and i was so proud of my school for offering these students a second chance in life

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Fans who are especially rude to the other team make their own school look bad. Don't they realize this? Yeah, I've done my share of razzing the other team, but my friends and I didn't use ethnic slurs or other personal attacks.

On the other hand, we used to have one habit that wasn't especially polite. We'd pick one player of an opposing basketball team, it didn't matter which player, and then make as much noise as possible every time he touched the ball, going quiet as soon as he passed or shot. The idea was to distract the other team and make them self conscious about passing. I don't know if it ever really made a difference. That's about as nasty as we ever got.

As a fan, you really do have a conflict of interest. You want your team to win, and you want to let both teams know it, but then again the visiting team members and fans are guests at your arena. So go ahead and wave balloons behind the basket to try to make the poor guy miss the free throw, but don't call him names.