I am Ashamed to be American

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I feel your pain. Think Bush would get the picture and resign if there was a mass exodus to Canada?

2. makisushi macrumors 6502

no.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm feeling kind of ashamed of being a liberal today the way some of you are acting. Venting the rage and anger isn't going to help the cause. Be magnanimous in victory and gracious in defeat.

If only I had a nickel for every time a leftie has called Bush or America stupid today....

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Amen. I am with you, except in that I don't have dual citizenship anywhere. :(

Why is it that international polls showed Bush losing roughly 75%-25% and only Americans are stupid enough to think he's done a good job? Why is this country blind to what the rest of the world can see as so blindingly obvious?

It's not about republicans vs. democrats, either. It's not like Bush Sr. or Regan faced this kind of hatred from overseas. It's this particular administration, this particular man.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If the shoe fits... mactastic... if the shoe fits.

I've never been so disgusted in my life as this morning.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Never be ashamed of being an American.

You can be frustrated as much as you want or need to be but this is a good country, despite the idiots. Remember that there are idiots in other countries, too--they're not an exclusive to the U.S.A.

There have been times when I doubted why I had been brought to this country or how it would work out but I will never be ashamed of being an American.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That sir, is a puzzle :confused:
    Speaking as someone outside the US, you're spot on...IMO anyway :)

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Same here. But that doesn't change the outcome, nor the fact that we need to work with what we are given.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Has Bush ever changed his mind about anything?

I used to believe that. But this country's choices don't match its professed image of benevolence.

:confused: "Brought here"? I thought slave ships went out some time ago. ;)

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ditto
    every reaction i got today when speaking with people at my age about the election was this:
    :confused:
    and of course the famous sentence"how can they vote for that guy _twice_"

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Here is what is moving me right now. I am a republican. However, when Bill Clinton was elected, I was reserved to the fact that he is my President, and I will support him. He was my commander in chief when I was in the military. I actually voted for him in 96 because I did support him. I cannot understand how someone cannot have the opinion that they will disagree with the President, but, they are their President.

To say that you would leave the country, and to act like the world has come to an end does not make those that are moderate, or even right think that you are capable of supporting anything but your own view, and that, is narrow minded. I do not support Bush blindly, I disagree with him on many subjects, however, to say that we are stupid, is calling over 50 million Americans stupid. I just cannot buy that. We are divided, however, Bush won by a larger margin than any President in over 12 years.

Do not be ashamed of your countrymen, be proud. Be proud that they actually voted in this election. Close to 60% turnout! Are you kidding me! That is wonderful.

Do not insult your party, your candidate, and your causes by portraying yourself as a radical that incapable of working with the otherside.

12. ocellnuri macrumors regular

I just figure that the prophecies of Revelations can come to light now... :rolleyes:

13. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Its not football, ya know...

Since when was venting your anger at a loss of something you thought had a better idea wrong. As an outsider, from just about every post by anyone who didn't want Bush to win, they've given a reason ruled by head as to why they voted for Kerry. Even the Nader voters wanted Kerry to defeat BUsh. That seems to be the whole reason for this anger - a dislike of Bush and his policies, particuarly on Iraq and terrorism - but also for a fear of what may happen in the next four years. Never have I felt that one decision could affect the world on such a grand scale. I can see repurcusions from the anti-American (Middle Eastern) world, and an increasingly religiously lead Bush causing havok over the next four years.

With tony behind him :(

14. mypantsaretight macrumors newbie

Great gooogly mooogly. Fear the Illuminati.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that a lot of peoples issue is with Bush, not necessarily the party (though of course for many it will be party).

I cannot understand why over half of America would vote this man (ignoring his party) back in again, it make no sense what-so-ever to me :confused:

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's bad sportsmanship. I'm sorry, but I don't like gloating winners, nor non-gracious losers. Life continues.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Because I voted against him, twice. Because I think he's a terrible president and a despicable person. Because I have yet to see him make one right decision, or admit one wrong decision.

I'm not going to respect him or call him "my president" just because 2% more americans made the wrong choice than made the right one. Why should a simple majority vote earn a man *my* respect? Only he can do that, through his own actions.

That's my feeling exactly. The choices and the actions don't back up the words and the image.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Same here....I've literaly been sick to my stomach all day after getting the results. I couldn't eat much at all because I was just disgusted about what the country did yesterday. And I'm not ashamed to be an American, but I'm ashamed to be from the same country that voted this crook into a 2nd term in office

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Backtothemac, the anger is at a Republican party that has given itself over to its radicals. Regular conservatism we could live with, but this stubborn "We are right and the rest of the world is wrong" neo-conservatism scares the crap out of us. It's basically telling us that we don't count anymore.

Really, it's not that some of us are considering leaving the country. It's that the country has left us.

20. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    in spite of my feelings of anger and sadness with the election outcome, i'm proud to be an american. it is a great country...with many problems, but still a great country.

i believe we have lost our way and yet i feel that somehow this misstep into the dark unknown will somehow help us choose a better path in the future.

the one thing we can't do, regardless of party affiliation, is let any administration proceed without the scrutiny it so justly deserves.

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Indeed.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I thought the same thing when Clinton was reelected

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, but you had some preperation. Everyone knew Dole didn't stand a chance.

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Thank you.