I am devistated.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by icetraxxg5, Mar 29, 2003.

1. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

I found a dead pixel on my new iMacs 17' display, I probably would of never of found it if I didn't use software to check.

Now everytime I look at my screen my eyes go right to the pixel.

And I know there is nothing I can do... :(

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

you and me both man...i should have never have checked.

3. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: I am devistated.

Sucks to be a sucker. You used software to find it? You deserve what you get. :)

have you tried rubbing the pixel out?

4. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

There is nothing you can do. Apple says there has to be 50 pixs out in a 3x3 square. These arn't the exact numbers but close. If you bought it in the last 90 days you can send it back and get a new one, but you will have to pay a 15% restocking fee.

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Not even close. it's more like a half dozen.

dont speak if you dont know

6. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Moxiemike relax chief. Where is the hostility coming from? I'm only trying to help the boy out.:D

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

LMAO! This is exactly why I didn't use that app that was posted a few days back to check for dead pixels, if I have any (which I havn't noticed) I don't want to know about them, because they'll drive me mad!

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Right. Sure. BUt misinformation doesn't help anyone.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

My iBook has a stuck red pixel on the left side of the screen, and it is rather obvious. But I still work with the iBook and Photoshop etc. often.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i hate to hear this but it makes you wonder if lcd is really the way to go, i have a 17 studio display crt and dont have to worry about dead pixels, emac owners be happy you dont have to deal with this. i want to hand off my system to my wife when the 970 comes out but am still concerned about this issue.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

>hate to hear this but it makes you wonder if lcd is really the way to go

Many eMac owners had to deal with displays that didn't just get rid of one pixel, but rather the entire monitor. A few eMacs had to be recalled because of the hardware issue.

As for which is better, CRT of LCD, in terms of quality and resolution, the CRT will always be superior. Unfortunately the radiation of the rays displaying the reds, blues and greens gives off a tremendous amount of heat, as well as light. Also, CRT magnetic fields are easily disrupted and can cause cathode rays to bend incorrectly instead of beam straight.

This is where the LCD holds an advantage. The emission of energy from the liquid crystals is almost entirely light. You could stare at an LCD up close for a long period of time (how close?? Put your nose on the screen and stare at each partial pixel of red, green and blue) and not go blind or have vision impairment. Also, LCDs are not as affected as magnets.

The trouble here is getting quality liquid crystal monitors so you get BOTH a consistency of pixels AND a quality image. And that's where you have to draw the line.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Those emac issues are history, but really who the heck wants to look at a dead pixel all the time. You spend 2 grand for a top notch computer and then have to look at this? Off to the side may be tolerated but in the middle would really suck. Plus crts are cheaper maybe i have just talked myself out of getting a lcd with my next computer purchase.

13. icetraxxg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved! I changed my desktop to a blue/black background image and you can barely notice the problematic pixel unless looking at it while the surrounding area is pure red or white.

14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i have one dead/stuck pixel on my imac which i bought the day they came out last year (it's red sometimes, against the white of this macrumors page it's ok) it annoyed me at first but i don't notice it much now.

and as for crt v lcd, personally, lcd all the way, it's so much easier on the eyes, much more stable. i do miss the resolutions of a big barco monitor for instance, but, just the lack of a flicker is a winner for me.

and i thought it was approx 10 dead pixels on the entire screen to warrant a replacement???

15. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Looks like 10 is the correct number, at least on the 17" displays, according to a comparison table provided by Formac. Then again, I can't find the info with a quick search of Apple's display hardware pages. And Formac says that the 17" model's viewing angle is 160°, while Apple claims it's 170°. Hmm, who to trust?

16. Bear macrumors G3

Formac website is misleading...

The dead pixel and warranty information is for Formac's Platinum line. The pricing is for their newer Oxygen line.

Also, while they explain their benefits, they forget to add one of the footnotes needed for the Apple displays. That being if you buy an Apple LCD Display with the system and you have AppleCare, the warranty is three years on both the system and the display.

This is what marketing is all about. Putting your stuff in the best light possible even if you have to add footnotes limiting it while ignoring what you can of the competitors features and benefits.

17. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

you can try to massage the dead pixel out. ive watched peopled o it before but never doen it myself. im sure someone here can advise you on how to do it or you can hit google and see if you can find some tips. it seems to work best for stuck pixels.

apple doesnt have an official number/placement on what qualifies for replacement. i know people who have had apple replace monitors with a single dead/stuck pixel. it just depends on who you talk to and how you represent yourself and the problem.

also if you want to avoid dead/stuck pixels when buying its very simple. always test the computer/lcd you are buying before you leave the store with it. if you see a stuck/dead pixel simple ask for another computer. for this and other reasons i dont think it is ever a good idea to buy a computer or lcd without checking it out first. unless you find some amazing deal online or something buy froma real storefront and open that box before forking over the dough.

one last comment the overwhelming majority of lcd screens from apple dont have ANY stuck or dead pixels. having bought several myself and for our laboratory i can say that the chances of getting a dead/stuck pixel are pretty low. in fact it is much lower than encountering other problems (like bad motherboards, hard drives, optical drives, etc)

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If you b*tch enough at apple they will get you a new monitor,
    but is it worth it?

19. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Re: Re: I am devistated.

9 times out of ten that works... anyone with dead pixels should try it. Besides, what have you got to lose :D

20. comrade macrumors regular

One of my Professors is the head of our Optics Center. He told our class that a current optics project was a monitor that essentially from what I remember, worked similar to a CRT, but was able to be as compact as an LCD. Apparently, they are trying to work on a prototype with Phillips. He also said that they are working on a 3-d viewing device. Sounds like cool stuff, and would be interesting to see it come out. There would be no more CRT's (if the price were to be close enough).

21. bombensington macrumors regular

first of all, apple has NO designation for a certain number of pixels. why won't that rubbish statement ever go away? it is NOT true. it is handled on a case by case basis.

and 50 in a 3x3 square? did you just pull that number out of nowhere? seriously.

next, the restocking fee is 10%, not 15%.

jeesh.

22. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Re: I am devistated.

i have one on my tibook. you will soon forget about it.

just give it some time.

23. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Re: Re: Re: I am devistated.

i would make that 1 time out of 10, not 9.

24. Hockey Nut macrumors member

I got a 20" about 2 weeks ago, and am happy to report I have no dead or stuck pixels (and no, I do not want software to prove me wrong).

This thing is great. My biggest problem is getting my prints to look anything near as good as they do on screen.

25. icetraxxg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what I thought until I opened up that evil pixel testing software. :p