I am disappointed in Apple, Tiger is not worthy of OS X stature yet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrSugar, Jun 2, 2005.

1. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

Jul 28, 2003
    I stood in line with the rest of the Mac nerds to see Tiger at my local Apple store. Had they told me it was still in beta testing I would have left and spent 2 hours of my life doing something better.

Tiger is very very disappointing in my eyes. To me it is an unfinished product, it feels unfinished, it acts unfinished, and the more people I see talking about it the more problems I see coming up.

I have done a clean install of Tiger, because the upgrade install messed up my entire system and I had to do a clean install. But even with that fact, Tiger still has tons of problems. I have noticed problems with preview, problems with safari, problems with dashboard, problems with Ichat, and so on.

These aren't just minor annoying bugs either, they are frustrating bugs that force me to restart, login and out, or not be able to use an entire program.

I find myself anxiously awaiting for 4.2 to come out. A few weeks ago I was waiting for 4.1 to come out, even with 10.4.1 I still feel like we are beta testing this OS.

The fact is my school's VPN doesn't work for wireless anymore, so I can't use it. iChat is so horrible with my iSight that it just comes back saying "user did not respond" even though I am talking with them on the phone with the person and we are both doing everything right! My safari quits more often than I ever remember it in the past. Preview loses it's borders and completely and locks up every now and then. I can't create new windows in safari, they just don't appear, and finder windows sometimes get cut in half and go completely buggy. The OS feels slow and runs slower than I ever remember Panther. Even with the 64 bit "claim", Panther ran faster on my G5. And still, I find myself trying to justify that Tiger is good. The problem is, it's not! Dashboard widgets don't run as fast as they should, they don't refresh until I hit F12 and then I am stuck waiting for my weather to appear for several seconds. It doesn't work nearly as well as advertised.

Realistically Tiger has a lot of problems. I use it worrying that it's all of a sudden going to crash or mess up. This isn't how an Apple OS should feel. Panther never felt like this! Panther felt stable even with 10.3.0, I never had a doubt it was worth it. Tiger feels like an operating system that shouldn't be out until this fall.

What happened Apple??? This is the first time I have ever used Apple software and felt that it wasn't what it should be. I have put thousands of dollars into Apple, I bleed white plastic blood, I profess my Apple view upon the world, and my car happily holds an Apple sticker. With this dedication I expect the best of the best. I expect that every time I turn on my computer for it to stay on without problems until the power fails. I expect it to run every program I want, and do it perfectly. I expect that the Apple made programs will work when I first open them, if I want to video conference I just hit connect, and BAM ipto facto there it is. I expect Apple's OS to increase my workflow, and make me feel like the thousands of dollars I have given them are going to a good cause.

Tiger is not what it should be, plain and simple.

And please don't tell me to re-install Panther, I shouldn't have to downgrade just to achieve a worry free computing experience.
  2. MacTruck macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
    I'm with ya. If it wasn't for a few features I would go back to panther. Spotlight, dashboard = worthless.
  3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    It might be a hardware issue...

Tiger has in fact been fine for many of us.
  4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm running Tiger on 2 systems (G4 PB 12" 1.33GHz and iMac G5 20") and not having these problems. I note from your signature that you also have 2 systems - are you getting the same problems on both your systems, or just one? Given that we're both running the same software and getting different experiences I'm wondering if something is up with your system and/or it's configuration.
  5. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    My overall experince has not been bad but....

Safari crashes more than it used to.
    Sometime when I attempt to put my powerbook in clamshell mode, the window server frezzes. Kinda sucky

but other than that, i think every thing has went well.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Well, it's good that Panther was better for you when it was first released. Tiger is way ahead of Panther for me. Even with 10.3.9, networking two machines never worked as well as with 10.2.8. I'm just glad that by 10.3.4, I was able to print.

I upgraded two machines and haven't looked back. Tiger's performance is faster and slower at the same time but that will improve. Panther's did, eventually.

If you're expecting Apple to release a fast and bug-free operating system, don't, because they can't. Things are better but .0 releases of anything rarely work correctly.
  7. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 28, 2003
    My second system is a laptop I use for school, I have to have wireless for it. This means that I can't use Tiger because of Cisco vpn that my wireless uses.
  8. chibianh macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm running Tiger on 3 systems.

Powermac G5 - clean install, no problems so far
    Tibook 550 - upgrade install, no problems either
    iBook G3 500 - upgrade install, no problems either

I use the G5 mostly, but haven't had the problems you described. I think Safari has crashed once. Besides other minor things and the fact that VPN doesn't work with the setup at school, I'm satisfied overall.

Sorry to hear you're having such bad experiences though.
  9. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island
    Tiger is not only fine on my computer, it's great!
    I have had not problems, no crashes, nothing!
  10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    No (major) problems with my Tiger install...

Have you reset the proper encryption mode? (Like this article from Apple Support suggests.)
  11. dsharits macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    Same here. No problems to speak of. None on iBook, B&W or MDD.
  12. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If it's Cisco's VPN that you're having trouble with, there's a Beta out there that works with Tiger (on single processor Macs). I'm using it right now.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Cisco's VPN client works just fine with Tiger. Supposedly, it causes kernel panics with multi-processor Macs, but I haven't had that problem yet.

Some of the problems you're seeing, I've not seen yet in Tiger and I've got it installed on some 25 Macs. Of course, none of them are G5s. But what you are seeing is not normal.
  14. jaseone macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
    Well get on Cisco's case then for not having a VPN client for Tiger.

There is something seriously wrong with either your hardware or your configuration if Tiger gives you that bad of an experience, sure there are minor annoyances but for the most part Tiger is great for the majority of people.
  15. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
  16. me_94501 macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2003
    Some minor quirks, but no major Tiger problems here. It's as solid as any version I've used before.
  17. unfaded macrumors 6502

Dec 12, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I completely disagree in every single way. Tiger is my favourite, and I think, the best OS release to date. Using 10.3 on computers faster than mine seems sluggish and unbearable now.
  18. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    It works fine for me. It's likely you haven't opened up the correct ports in Tiger.

Also, it's possible you've altered the IP address used by the Mac in question and/or have altered firewall rules in your router.

iChat works in Tiger. It works with other iChat users, and it works with PC users with AIM - at least as long as it's the latest version of AIM. I assume it works with Trillian Pro as well.

Attached Files:

19. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I'm still on Panther but anxiously waiting to install Tiger. Apple has done a good job getting 10.4.1 out the door so quickly and it won't be long until 10.4.2 is available. Keep posting bug reports. The more bugs they know about the better.

I was a little surprised at how many users on here had problems with Tiger but since this is a specific Mac forum i supposed it's expected. It seems the majority of people with Tiger are happy to have upgraded. Just give it time.
  20. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Mar 16, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Been using Tiger since the day after release, only problem is login items refuse to hide, apart from that, not a single problem of any kind :)

Alot of people are having problems, but i'd bet there's even more who aren't :)
  21. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Well, I've got 28+ days of uptime 4.0 -not updated- and am just fine.

VPN stuff doesnt work because the kernel was changed too much.
    Now that there is a KPI (Kernel Programming Interface) VPN kernel
    extentions shouldn't break with updates any more.

Other than that, I'd say I don't miss panther.
    Most problems are from old kernel extentions, and a bad hardware.

I had a trouble installing Tiger in a computer, removed the airport card,
    it was fine. In fact I now know why it was freezing before in panther.
    Another was bad ram. In both cases, tiger was blamed, in both cases, it was
    faulty hardware.

Sometimes it is the O.S, but sometimes the O.S jsut exposes a hardware flaw...
  22. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Tiger on:
    iMac G4 1GHz 17" - Upgrade
    PB G3 500MHz Pismo - Clean install.

Absolutely no major problems here at all. Installed in the middle of my masters' project report write-up and did not loose a thing.

I suggest you revise your "Tiger is not worthy of OS X stature yet" to:
    "My experiences of Tiger have been less than good".

Making sweeping statements is just an inappropriate thing to do, when mainly everything you experience on your Mac will be unique to you.
  23. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    lmfao@ Tiger being beta. OMG. Even the Micro$oft Nazi's haven't said that oen yet. lol

OMG. I'm running 10.4 on a PowerMac G4 2002 Quicksilver and it's purring away. Love it. No complaints (except the annoying file transfer sound)
  24. Pismo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2002
    Tiger is working great for me and I hope Apple gets the 10.4.2 update out soon. I haven't had a lot of problems so far, just some really annoying things. My biggest gripe is not beinig able to put my mailboxes on the right side in Mail. I naturally look to the right of the screen because that's the way it has always been in previous versions.

Other than that, everything is cool.
  25. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Tiger has been fine for me too.

And contrary to people saying Dashboard and Spotlight is useless, I actually find them very useful. Widgets are only in the beginning phases don't forget - they only have a small user base adopting this new technology. I am very interested to see how it develops in the long run.

As for spotlight, it's great! I simply cannot understand how people don't find is useful.

Everything works much better than it did in Panther, and I have to say, I'm glad I paid the upgrade price.