I am female hear me roar!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by celebrian23, Jul 26, 2006.

1. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

On every single forum I'm a member of everyone thinks I'm a guy. At first I attributed it to celebrian so I dropped that moniker and no matter what I try I must be giving off male vibes. So I am here to say I am female. 100% female. I must act masculine online or something, because it never fails. I am not a guy! :mad:

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

If it makes you feel any better I knew you weren't a guy :) Hopefully you won't read this white text saying that I lied and I did think you were a guy. You see, it's a white lie.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm listening.

All I can hear is traffic noise and an episode of M*A*S*H

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

** puffs up chest **

I noticed you mention in one of your very first posts that you were female, and I've remembered that ever since.

** deflates chest **

But seriously, there is usually an assumption (particularly on tech-related forums) that people are male. It's not fair, but it's tough to change that culture. The best you can do is to mention upfront that you are female and do it periodically afterwards to remind people.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Initially I thought you were a guy as well, BUT a few months ago I remember you mentioning that you were female so since then I've known. Like Wildcowboy said, the nature of the forum doesn't really help, not to mention that picking up on someone's gender can be difficult simply by reading something they've posted. :)

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Get yourself the demi-goddess thang* and forget about it.

*$25 at all good retailers (i.e. here) ;)

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I knew you were female. :)

...You could become a demi-godess, then no one would have any question about your gender. ...or you could just place "I AM FEMALE!!!" in your sig, I think that would get your point across. :p

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I can't remember who or what thread, but that wasn't enough for at least one poster to realize my gender... :rolleyes:

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I stopped bothering to remind people about it... ooo, about 2-3 months after I joined up. Life's too short to worry about things like this.

Besides, we're all on a similar (admittedly male-biased) playing field. Do the MR ladies really want to be saying things like 'are you staring at my avatar' every day? ;)

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I really don't recall the last time I did point it out (aside from this thread)... :eek: As for 'tars, I think it's interesting that typically men feature women in their 'tars and are mistaken for being those very women. :D

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I went one step further, I though edesignuk WAS Keira Knightly. :D

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I can remember making that mistake several times. :eek:

13. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Hey look!
    I, just a lowly "macrumors regular", knew you werent a guy!

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Wishful thinking by the geekerati.

Wow, Lacero is sooo hot... and uses a Mac!!!11!11

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You already had me confused, from back when you asked how to delete your account but didn't want to delete your account! Or maybe I just get confused easily.

When I joined MacRumors, I didn't care whether people thought I was male or female, and carefully didn't say which I was, to see if anybody noticed. Nobody noticed. However, many were curious when I finally pointed out that I had never said one way or the other. (I'm male, married, two kids.)

16. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

well, congratulations.

so, what are you doing tonight?

who's lacero? :p

17. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

apparently, nobody's mistaken me for a woman though... :rolleyes:

18. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I think that you've correctly identified the problem: you post like a boy. No problem. With only a few subtle changes the confusion can be stopped.

First off, we have that username. Details aside, she's a Tolkien character. Come on, Tolkien. Conclusion: boy.

Next, let's look at the way you type here:

[​IMG]

It's black sans text. That has boy cooties all over it!

Try a more girly approach. The dots over the letter 'i' need to go, use circles. And violet.

[​IMG]

And if you really want to pull the stops and prove you're a girl, add a little flourish.

[​IMG]

Next, we need to do something with that avatar. Wales needs a new symbol. Sheesh, it has a spiky red dragon on it! That's a boy flag. Fortunately, it can easily be salvaged. Alter two minor details and voilà!

[​IMG]

...and that should pretty much settle it. Simplicity in itself!

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Giggling... like the girlie I am :p

And while being a demi-goddess helps, it was only a few months ago that I was being called 'he' by some veteran members.

20. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Just change your avatar to a picture of yourself.

The unicorn suggested above may not dissuade someone from assuming you're a male, as there seems to be a lot of members of MR who are gay. However, that's even less obvious, so go for whatever girly object, inanimate or animate (hint hint, rawr) you wish.

21. Lau Guest

Heh heh. "Oi, you, look at my username, not the 'tar". :p

celebrian23, as another girl on the forums, when I notice someone mentioning they're a girl in their posts, I usually remember, and so therefore I knew you were a girl from a previous post you made. I forget which one.

Before that post, I think I had always assumed you were a bloke from your avatar mainly, I think. The name's ambiguous to me (and I'd never thought of "Brian"), and I don't know Tolkien's stuff. Maybe it seemed to be more blokes who had 'patriotic' type avatars. Maybe I'm just an idiot! Either way, I don't think you should change it, but you could do something in your signature to clarify if you wanted. Amateurmacfreak has 'I'm thinking about becoming a demi-goddess so that people can automatically know that I'm female" in her sig, and for a while iBlue had the female symbol, the one with a circle with a cross added on.

22. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

i dont think ive seen many posts from you... either im blind or not paying attention. from now on, i'll remember.

23. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Oh my God I only wish you were Mischa Barton.

24. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I often wonder about the effect having a female character in my avatar (especially before contributing). I think I've been called female at least once or twice.

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

For a very short period of time, I thought you were female. :eek: