I am getting an ibook but...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Nov 23, 2003.

1. niter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    I still have a few questions!

1) Should I bother with Apple Care? It is a lot of money.

2) The cheapest RAM I could find outside of Apple was ony about $10 difference from Apple. Should I just pay for it when I order the computer or should I try to upgrade later on? Is it that difficult to upgrade the 12" ibook G4? Does anyone know how to do it?

3) Is the airport card difficult to put in? I really do not need it now, but what if I do later on?

4) Can I hook up the ibook to an external monitor, then shut the case and have it work or will it go to sleep?

2. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    1.) It is always a good idea to get applecare on a laptop as the parts are more expensive, and applecare can often pay for itself with one usage.

2.) If the cost is minimal like you mentioned than just go with apple's. it will be guaranteed to work and than if it doesnt it's apple's problem :)

3. ) Just unscrew a little panel and slide the card in me thinks :)

4.) not sure but I am pretty sure yes.
  3. dr_fate macrumors member

Oct 18, 2003
    Re: I am getting an ibook but...

1) Don't bother right away, its a waste of money, because you are covered for 1 year anyways. Before your year runs up you might wanna buy it.

2) I think the ibook is the only computer in apple's line where they price the RAM fairly. Have them install it, you won't save much intsalling it yourself. If this was a powerbook, well that's another matter entirely....

3) Dunno, but it looks easy to put in from the video that I've seen.

4) Good question, I'd like to know too.
  4. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    1) Apple Care is worth it. Just imagine you not having it, and your iBook looses the spacer in side the USB port. To replace it, is $700, Apple Care is only like $250, and covers it. Which is better to your wallet?

2) Upgrading ram in a 12" shouldn't be a problem. I'd wait and upgrade after a couple of months, really 256MB will work for most uses of OSX.

3) Installing the Airport should be easy, have done it in several Apple 'Books and never took more than 10 minutes.

4) To use an external monitor with an iBook closed, you will need an external KB and Mouse, however ask a sales rep if it is even possible then, I'm not sure about the iBooks. If it is a necissity, go for the PowerBook, every PB has that ability.

Easy answer for all, if you don't need it now, don't buy it now. Wait until price falls, or timelimit comes. Good Luck.

5. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    Thanks for all the great answers. I do have one more question based on this response...what is an external KB?

Fortunately, my school has a pretty decent array of Macs to play with at the bookstore. Unfortunately, for me, whenever I manage to get the time to actually make it over there it is always during a PC saleperson's shift. I know plenty about PCs! Grr.

The closest Apple store (other than the bookstore) is 4 hours away. Double grr.
  6. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
    That's an external keyboard, as the one on your iBook will be closed in. Also, don't quote me on this, but I saw a buddy's new iBook yesterday, and I'm pretty sure that when he lifted up the keyboard, the Airport card space was right there.
  7. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    Thanks again!

I do have all the external pieces needed. I am a bit of a computer junkie with set-ups at home and at work. This is why I am getting the smaller iBook, despite prefering the faster processor speeds of the 14" iBooks.

I have a 14" laptop right now and it is just not cutting it for portability. I do hope the 12" can be used when closed as I will have an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse at both home and work. So when I want a big screen, I can have one.
  8. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    might be a little disappointed, the ibook only does 1024X768 on an external monitor
  9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    not with the spanning hack. It's only *supposed* to mirror (meaning max res. of 1024x768 of course) but there's a hack that lets it run externals at much higher res.
  10. SoarEyes macrumors member

Feb 4, 2002
    Here’s what the read me said about:

Screen Spanning Doctor v0.2 I

The second feature that the program will unlock is clamshell mode. This feature is only available on iBooks and does not always work well. Clamshell mode allows you to use your laptop with the lid closed (which may cause heat issues). To use clamshell mode after you applied the patch you need to sleep the iBook by closing the lid. Then you have to wake it up with an external USB device. The computer will turn on with the display off. You should probably open the iBook a bit after this to allow for proper heat dissipation during operation. The display will stay off until you sleep it again and then wake it with the screen open. The iBooks needs to be connected to AC power during clamshell operation. As I stated before there are some issues with clamshell mode. Sometimes the internal screen will be off but still logically there (you can move the mouse over) and display related control panels may crash. These issues only occur while you operate the iBook in clamshell mode so just applying the patch does not inflict these issues during normal operation.