I am going to switch now-imac 20"--cannot decide

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pcpacker, Sep 28, 2004.

1. pcpacker macrumors member

Sep 28, 2004
    First time poster, long time lurker.

I will soon order the ImacG5 20". I cannot decide on a few options.

1. Blue tooth--does it interfere with 2.4 ghz cordless phones?

2. Is there anyway to order a two button scrollmouse and not even pay for the mouse that I don't want? Do you even use two buttons with a mac?

3. I am not interest in pda/cell phone connectivity. Is there any other reason to get blue tooth?

4. Airport extreme is just wireless networking, right? I don't have a need to network at all. Anything that I cannot add later that I might regret?

Thank you.
  2. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    not sure, but I highly doubt it.
    Apple mouse and keyboard comes with all new mac, you cannot get a new mac without them. I'd recommend a 3+ button mouse. I use 5 buttons (1 for normal click, one for right click, the rest for expose).

With a mac, right clicking = clicking the left button an holding ctrl. it opens up a contextual menu, such as "change background settings" etc, just as you'd expect it to in windows.

Thats all I can answer for you.

I just switched, 17"imac g5 for me...I LOVE it!
  3. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Wireless keyboard and mouse, for one. Although your options are more limited.

You can add Airport later, so if you don't need it now don't sweat it. Just keep in mind that you can also use it with Airport Express to stream iTunes to your stereo.
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    1. I think 2.4 ghz is the "bad" frequency for bluetooth, etc. 900 mhz works fine.

2. No, you have to get the Apple mouse, but obviously you can buy a separate mouse, too. Many people like to have them for all the "right-clicking" options, which work pretty much the same as in Windows machines. You can get around this using "control-click", but it's a bit more awkward. And obviously the scroll wheel comes in very handy.

3. Other than wireless keyboards/mice, I'm not aware of any other reason for bluetooth.

4. If you don't need wireless, no need to buy. You can always add later. Most of the components on the iMac are easily upgradable, but for me, the hard drive is kind of a pain--not so much because it's physically difficult to remove, but because transferring your data can be troublesome. So you might want to upgrade the HD now.
  5. logicat2001 macrumors regular

Apr 16, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bluetooth transmits on 2.4 Ghz as well.

The only other bluetooth peripheral I've heard of is a printer. The bottom line: if you're not interested in paying a premium in order to loose some wires, don't bother with bluetooth.

Airport can be easily added later; don't buy it now.

6. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
  7. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    Airport can be added in later, but not bluetooth - that must be factory installed.
  8. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Well, you CAN add BT later, but only with one of those D-link cards that eat a USB slot. They run under $50 most places.

I'd go for the BT module with keyboard and mouse. For $99, it's a good deal. You could probably sell the mouse on eBay for $30-50, since it retails for $69. Then, buy whichever 63-button mouse you want. Not having the cable clutter is really nice.