I am Mac-less

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Deefuzz, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

It really sucks.

Last night I was working on an iDVD project, but the drive wouldn't mount. I tried a different blank (thinking maybe that particular blank DVD was a lemon) and that one didn't work either, my iMac just spit it back out. So I tried an audio CD...that was spit out too. Frustrated I found the Hardware Diagnostics disk that came with the system and rebooted...

The boot noise sounded but no display...WTF? I waited about 5 minutes and still nothing showing on the LCD. I rebooted again with the same results. So I took the back off of the Mac (iMac G5 btw) and inspected, did the troubleshooting watching the 4 lights (as stated on troubleshooting the iMac on the support page)...Turns out that the logic board is not communicating with the LCD and needs to be replaced, noticed a couple capacitors were popped too.

So I brought it into the Apple store today, and the Genius confirmed. A new logic board is needed, he also put me down for a new Superdrive and power supply...which is all luckily covered under my Apple Care Protection Plan (the total would have run around $1250 dollars!). The downside. The earliest I will get my baby back is Weds (that is if they have those parts in stock) but most likely not until Friday. This is my first Mac issue, and my first time dealing with a Genius...It was surprisingly painless and almost enjoyable, the guy was very nice and knew his stuff!

Very sad, but I guess it could be worse, 5 day turnaround isn't too bad, just wanted to whine a little and share my troubles with my fellow MR people.

2. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I'll be macless soon too. As soon as I backup my data I have to send mine in :( I don't know anyone who lives close to me who even has a mac. I won't complain. Better a PC shared with 4 other family members than a broken mac.

3. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Thats why you buy 2 or 3.:p

Sorry about your loss though.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I'll be Macless for about a week starting Wed or Thurs, whenever I take it down to the Apple Store. Luckily the only thing I need a computer for is a DVD burn, which this computer can't do anyways. I'll miss it though...

jW

5. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Yah...I sent my MBP in on Friday and the repair status page just says "repair in progress" Oh well. At least this dell can play Rome Total War...

Hopefully when I get it back it will not be whining (I made a wallpaper that says "Please make my computer shut the F*** and stop whining" which I hope will help :cool: )

Wensday is not a bad turnaround at all , although Friday is a bit long, but not too bad in the world of repairs. Good luck!

6. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

When I sold my iBook to get a MacBook I was Mac-less for a little bit. I couldn't stand being on my crappy sticky (yes stick, thats what happens when a 17 year old sister takes hold of a computer for 6 months) old computer so I just studied more. My grades went up, a blessing in disguise, well maybe not :p

7. Deefuzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Thanks for the good wishes and shared experiences guys...now I know what it is to have an addiction ;)

Still working on the multiple Mac thing myself. Waiting to see what, if any, design revisions will be happening to the MacBook Pro, and then maybe snag that.

I just hope nothing is wrong with the hard drive as well, because I didnt get a chance to do a backup lately...and it's been a while since I did it last.

Guess the plus side is I will have some all new parts, and a refound respect for sticking with the backup process. And also a stronger desire to have a second Mac around the house ;)