Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I use the Altec Lansings FX6021 as my main speakers and i usually have them do most of the amplifying, so my iMacs volume is never really over half way. So my Altec Lansings are near full volume.
Since i got Tiger the following has happened twice, a really really loud noise/bang has blurred out of the speakers instead of a system sound. The first time was when i dragged a folder out of the left side of the main finder window, and instead of the nice puff sound i got the loudest bang i have ever hear.
Second was when i just emptied my bin. They last as long as the system sounds so i assume it is somehow bypassing my iMac system volume, this doesn't happen everytime but just twice. But i tell you i have bad ringing in my ears because of it, my speakers seem ok tho.
I don't know if there is a problem with my iMac or what, but now i am terrified of turning the volume at all for this problem to happen again when doing any system sound, i swear my hearing is no where near what it was after this second bang as well. I never ever got this with Panther, so i am assuming it is Tiger, has anyone else had this?!

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
hey,

i haven't had that specific problem, but one i do have is that the balance keeps on changing itself. it's majorly annoying because it means i have to go in and check it every 10 mins if the sound im getting sounds one-sided..

i used to get the balance problem on my PB too, but that just seemed to fix itself after a certain update i think..

oh, and another sidenote - with my imac g5, when i used to take headphones in or out of the optical out port, i used to get a five to ten second delay before i got any more sound. tiger seems to have fixed this..

sorry i couldn't shed any light on your situation! :(

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
When i take the Altecs headphone out of the iMacs port it takes about a good five minutes for sound to come through the iMac speakers.
It is a really annoying this sound thing, because it is so damn loud and i dunno could happen anytime when doing an action that requires a system sound it can be just fustrating, also one more and i swear i will go deaf. Apple may well have another lawsuit on their hands if it happens again...
:rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, I haven't had this happen, but for those of you who use external speakers (or me, when I have my iBook plugged in to my stereo once in a while, with big floor-standing speakers and way too much wattage! :eek: ), this is not playing around....

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I am just calling Apple now, this is a really serious problem - and i seem to be the only one having it or discovered it. My speakers aren't even that powerful compared to pro speakers with 50w rms upwards, imagine those letting off this bang?
I seriously can't hear as well as before the bang this morning and it was similar to the one experienced the day after i got Tiger on the saturday the 30th, but that one was more of a really loud bang, this one was more of a really really loud buzz.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Fredstar, is this happening for all system sounds or just some? When did it start happening; immediately after you installed Tiger or after you installed another app or changed a setting maybe in Cocktail or something?

Did it happen before you enabled the Quartz 2D Extreme? Who knows perhaps loud bangs is why it's not on by default. ;)

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Applespider said:
Fredstar, is this happening for all system sounds or just some? When did it start happening; immediately after you installed Tiger or after you installed another app or changed a setting maybe in Cocktail or something?

Did it happen before you enabled the Quartz 2D Extreme? Who knows perhaps loud bangs is why it's not on by default. ;)

This definately has nothing to do with enabling Q 2d because the first big bang from a system sound came the day after installing Tiger on sat 30th - it was disabled then. It doesn't seem to coincide with installing any new apps, i still haven't got round to installing a lot of the 3rd party apps i used.
thanks
On the phone to Apple atm, they tried to charge me for the call since my 90 day phone support was up!! gave them a right bollocking, been on the phone to them for 50 mins now...sigh, still no fix or any issue they have heard of.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I hope your hearing is alright. I have a feeling that it might just be temporary or psychological that your hearing is not as good as it was before the second bang. But you never really know - so you ought to go to the Doctor and have it tested.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
StarbucksSam said:
I hope your hearing is alright. I have a feeling that it might just be temporary or psychological that your hearing is not as good as it was before the second bang. But you never really know - so you ought to go to the Doctor and have it tested.

Thanks, i hope it is psychological because i am having to turn the tv etc up loader than before to hear it properly. The first bang, the one after the first day i installed Tiger, was louder but i was fine the day after.
Finally after an hour and a half spoke to the 'highest level' of technical support after explaining my issues for the 20th time. They are looking into the issue, they are very concerned that it may be a serious issue Tiger (although not heard any reports yet), i said i doubt it was just coincidence that it happened after i installed Tiger. Hopefully, they will give me a call back. I am seriously concerned for musicians who use their main studio speakers to amplify the Mac's volume. If i had my pro speakers i use to own, that were 60watts each satellite, i would for sure be deaf.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I know exactly what you are experiencing. whenever an alert pops up, it makes a loud BUZZ/BANG noise thats louder than hell. I had that when I first got my PowerBook, running 10.3.6 or something. I don't know what caused it, but all I know is that it scared the bejezus out of me. It was very hard to replicate because it seemed to be random. Ever since I updated to all the point releases and Tiger, I havnt had that problem...

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
JeDiBoYTJ said:
I know exactly what you are experiencing. whenever an alert pops up, it makes a loud BUZZ/BANG noise thats louder than hell. I had that when I first got my PowerBook, running 10.3.6 or something. I don't know what caused it, but all I know is that it scared the bejezus out of me. It was very hard to replicate because it seemed to be random. Ever since I updated to all the point releases and Tiger, I havnt had that problem...

Yeh it is like that, system sounds are really LOUD. It seems really random, grr i am bloody frightened to do anything involving a system sound. I have resorted to using my iMac speakers, bad for listening to music and doing audio ichats, but at least when it next happens it won't completely kill my ears.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
asif786 said:
hey,

i haven't had that specific problem, but one i do have is that the balance keeps on changing itself. it's majorly annoying because it means i have to go in and check it every 10 mins if the sound im getting sounds one-sided..

i used to get the balance problem on my PB too, but that just seemed to fix itself after a certain update i think..
I've been getting that to, ( i have the same altec lansing speakers and what fixed it for me was switching the speakers, i plug the opposite colors into the sub and switch the speakers on my desk, seems to fixed it...
I also got a static noise, when i my pb up from its nap, but it hasn't happened it a while...

I'm running panther

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
I just had the same problem after having Tiger for a week. Luckily I don't have my speakers turned up very high. What is more interesting is that it happened with my Apple Pro Speakers that came with my iMac G4. I hope this is fixed in 10.4.1!

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Chimera said:
I just had the same problem after having Tiger for a week. Luckily I don't have my speakers turned up very high. What is more interesting is that it happened with my Apple Pro Speakers that came with my iMac G4. I hope this is fixed in 10.4.1!

This is a major bug. Apple need to sort it out ASAP, i am just hoping music professionals are not completely deaf by now because of the sound.

AlephNull

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Fredstar said:
This is a major bug. Apple need to sort it out ASAP, i am just hoping music professionals are not completely deaf by now because of the sound.
Just read your post, so I decided to try it, so I dragged a folder out of my Finder side-bar, and BUZZ/BANG! Wow, my volume wasnt up very much on my externals, I can imagine how loud it could be. I am as yet unable to reproduce it again... Hope your hearing is alright.

edit:// I'm using Tiger on a Mac mini btw

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
AlephNull said:
Just read your post, so I decided to try it, so I dragged a folder out of my Finder side-bar, and BUZZ/BANG! Wow, my volume wasnt up very much on my externals, I can imagine how loud it could be. I am as yet unable to reproduce it again... Hope your hearing is alright.

edit:// I'm using Tiger on a Mac mini btw

My hearing is better today thanks, if whoever experiences this problem send feedback to Apple on their website http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/ - i know it doesn't give an option for 10.4 yet (no idea why) but just tell them you are using Tiger and have this problem.
Yup the above sound i got the day after i got Tiger, a bloody huge bang that on my Altecs is almost deafening and it is completely random.
Apple are giving me a call back on monday (doubt they actually will) but i hope they do, i am going to give them a right drilling and tell them to pass it on to the developers of 10.4.1. This needs to be fixed, i am forced to not to hook up my Altec's because i don't want to be shocked again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.