Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I don't think this has anything to do with backwards compatibility. Have you ever tried to run Adone Premiere Pro on an old Windows XP machine? It'll start up, but it won't be much use for anyone. However, if you question Apple's software design effciency based on Aperture's hardware requirements compared to other similar programs, well, that's another matter.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I installed this Aperture, tried it and removed it. It is simply not worth it. The Lightroom is so much simpler and it does what I need it to do. I´m more interested in photography than photographic apps so Lightroom is my choice over Aperture, hands down, regardless of hardware requirements....that are far less anyway.

Thanks for all your help! I won´t be upgrading either of my iMacs...they run every good programme I need pretty well.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Dark said:
I have a revision B iMac that I bought just a month before the iSight versions came out. Sure I wish I could get a PowerMac but I make do with what I have, no use complaining to the world about it. I still run Photoshop CS and Adobe Lightroom on my computer.
the rev Bs have a 9600

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
TBi said:
I don't get why people so easily accept this limitation. On the windows side of things photo shop and 3d studio max are both pro applications but will run on a $500 Dell. Is windows better than OSX or something... or did apple artificially limit how many computers aperture could run on. All the effects apperture does can be done in software, albeit slower than hardware, so why doesn't it have a software path?
Actually I wish windows would. It would limit all the fake hacks out here posing as graphic designers with pirated copies of photoshops on their 500 dells.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
According to Apple imacs are supported, probably just not the rev As, so all this talk about pro app and consumer machine is hogwash.

One of the following Macintosh computers:

* Power Mac G5 with a 1.8 gigahertz (GHz) or faster PowerPC G5 processor
* 15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with a 1.25 GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor
* 17- or 20-inch iMac G5 with a 1.8 GHz or faster PowerPC G5 processor
* Not supported on Intel-based Mac computers with Rosetta; a Universal version to be available before the end of March 2006
# Mac OS X version 10.4.3 “Tiger” or later
# 1GB of RAM
# One of the following graphics cards:

* ATI Radeon x600 Pro or x600 XT
* ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition
* ATI Radeon X850 XT
* ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro
* ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
* ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, or 9650
* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE or 6600
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL
* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
* NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500

# 5GB of disk space for application, templates, and tutorial
# DVD drive for installati

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
If I remember correctly with FCP4, there is Program flags that tell the program what kind of requirements to check for. You can just change those. I changed on my G4 the requirement of AGP to PCI and it ran perfectly then.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
If you seriously want to run Aperture- the bright side is your machine has strong resale value and while it's not fun spending money (when you begrudge the cause) you have options. Sell the iMac and upgrade if you have pro needs.
No matter who the manufacture is Apple or Dell or Sony- the rule of the market place is buyer beware, and research those big purchases. If one needs pro apps - get a pro machine. If the consuler line is ones choice- then teh apps available will bein that line. Wether it is computers, cars, or toys- a buyer has to think it through.

To play devil's advocate- it's good to expect a lot out of a manufacturer and let your voice be heard. So it's not unreasonable to be frusterated- and lord knows Apple has a lot to offer- so it's easy to expect a lot!

Good luck with your decision!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
decksnap said:
I am amazed that you could be upset about this. It's not like they used to support the iMac with Aperture and now they don't. Aperture is an odd duck- brand new, and with the highest requirements I've ever seen. Seriously, (and a quick look a the price tells you this) this is a serious pro app, not a consumer oriented one. It is designed for pros to run on their pro hardware. Building it to be useable on lesser systems would likely be to the detriment of the software.

Indeed. I'm sad that I can't run it on my PowerMac because the machine is behind the times. Even if I remove the programme that checks if the minimum requirements are met, the application isn't going to run at decent speed anyway.

It's possible that Apple could have made Aperture leaner but it would have required changing the visual metaphor to something less dramatic--more like Lightroom. Still, a bit more synergy would have been useful.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
People are talking in this thread like Aperture is really abundant and cheap. It's like $400! Just to sort and catalouge photos! That's not a program you'd get for a $1200 computer ... that's almost a quarter of the iMac's price.

Aperture was made for a fairly small market of professional photographers. Those photographers have Pro machines anyways, so Apple made the program powerful to utilize the muscle of their Pro machines.

As people have said: it's not a consumer application. Use Lightroom or iPhoto 6.

.Joel

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
i'm starting to wonder how many of the people complaining actually downloaded the program instead of buying it... Thus really no reason to complain as u didn't pay for it in the first place.

/waits on the "i didn't download it i paid for it" flood of abusive posts.

Marvy

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Germany
.Joel said:
i'm starting to wonder how many of the people complaining actually downloaded the program instead of buying it... Thus really no reason to complain as u didn't pay for it in the first place.

/waits on the "i didn't download it i paid for it" flood of abusive posts.

My thoughts exactly. I mean all the talk of "installed Aperture, not really worth it." Is there a demo, did they buy it and send it back? This is what I'd also like to ask the creator of this thread: Did you actually buy Aperture? Then I could imagine being a bit upset, because of all the hassle. But if not, there really is no reason to complain.

Now let the abusive posts begin! :p

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
TBi said:
This is precisly why windows took over industry and why apple couldn't get a foot hold. Backwards compatibility! Sure it's nice to have the fastest PC you can get but all newer versions of software will run on the lowest machine you can run windows 2000 on. Which means machines all the way back to 2000 and earlier.
This is exactly why there are so many problems with windows. There are so many layers and complexities associated with the backwards compatability it becomes very difficult to plug security holes. It also takes a long time to create a new version (ie delay in Vista) because of all of the backwards testing they have to do. THis is also why it is difficult to get peripherial devices to work sometimes.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
On a basic level, I agree that Apple's minimum requirements for aperture are screwy. My 1.5GHz G4 Powerbook meets the specs, but a 1.6GHz G5 Powermac maxed out on RAM does not. Where's the sense in that?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
technicolor said:
According to Apple imacs are supported, probably just not the rev As, so all this talk about pro app and consumer machine is hogwash.
That the newest consumer Macs will run it is just a bonus. If you want a machine that probably can run also the next pro app to be released you're much better off with a PowerMac then an iMac, even if the current iMac (G4, that is, for now ;)) can run all Por apps today... :)

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
This is up there with "Why wont MAYA run on my G4 Mac Mini Debate", honestly Apple evens states "Aperture. Designed for professional photographers" the magic word being "Professional".

If Aperture is a professional application, it stand to reason it needs the newest professional machine to run it. The only thing that I do agree with that the Universal Binary version should have been ready in the start of January.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
MBHockey said:
Absolutely not. Pro Apps are designed for Pro users using Pro machines.

So then what you are saying is that there are two lines of Apple computers and applications, and never the twain shall meet.

Bogus!

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
janstett said:
So then what you are saying is that there are two lines of Apple computers and applications, and never the twain shall meet.

Bogus!

Not quite. It makes sense. What would Apple or its consumers get out of merging the two lines, as you seem to think should/will happen.

You'll get a machine that is more expensive than a consumer needs/wants and a machine lacking the horsepower a professional would need.

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
TBi said:
I don't get why people so easily accept this limitation. On the windows side of things photo shop and 3d studio max are both pro applications but will run on a $500 Dell. Is windows better than OSX or something... or did apple artificially limit how many computers aperture could run on. All the effects apperture does can be done in software, albeit slower than hardware, so why doesn't it have a software path?
And I thought ignorance was bliss. All that ignorance brings this guy is misplaced anger...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
rt_brained said:
Yeah, with all the money and R&D Microsoft has put into Windows all these years, isn't it nice to fire up a brand new top-of-the-line PC and see those first couple lines of DOS load up underneath Windows? Microsoft is all about backwards compatibility...Hell, "Backwards" is practically Microsoft's middle name.

Ever run Windows NT? Windows 2000? Windows XP? None of them are based on DOS. A 'brand new top-of-the-line PC' hasn't run a DOS-based version of Windows for years.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Aperture, if you havn't got it your not missing much. It has very poor RAW support, and from what I have heard it is very buggy.

Want to dish out, get Photoshop. You get Bridge which is far better than Aperture, and you also get Photoshop with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.