I am seriously confused now with my 23 inch ACD!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gangst, Dec 20, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Well I got my first ACD last Wednesday, I really loved it until I realised that when it produced the colour blue there would be lighter blue vertical lines running through the colour blue, they could only have been a pixel wide, but were annoying and affected the clarity of the screen when viewed close. Personally, I didn't think it was acceptable for a £950 display which is meant to be colour accurate.

So, I rang Apple, TNT came to my house yesterday, and now today I have my new 23 inch ACD which has the same problem!!!

I'm starting to think that all Apple ACD's have this? If anyone with a 23 inch ACD could tell me if they get small vertical lines through the colour blue then I'll be really pleased. Maybe I've got two defective displays, but that seems really unlikely. These vertical lines are hard to see but are very annoying, they are very noticeable when you click the Spotlight button in the top left menu bar, and when something is highlighted in blue.

Thanks for any help.

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Personally I haven't noticed this, but I will check when I get home. Mine is a little older, so perhaps these things happen in batches, which could explain why you could get two together with the same problem.

Edit: any chance of a screenshot or photo to show what they look like?

3. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

do you use some sort of extension cable on the data cable becuase i had trouble when i did it with a crt display

4. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I'm using the standard stuff provided with the Apple Display, and it's hooked up like Apple say in the manual.

5. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't screenshot it because it's not a problem with the graphics card, but I'll try and get a photo.

6. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

This may sound stupidly obvious, but make sure you're running that display at its native resolution...1920x1200, I believe.

7. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, I'm running at 1920 x 1200, I've tried every resolution and the problem still occurs.

8. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

man, that sucks, I saw one at Small Dog electronics and that didnt have any issues (although I didnt use it too much...) buy hopefully you can get one with no issues, I'd say call apple again, cause thats one friggin expensive thing to buy and have work incorrectly

9. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Haven't we heard something about current rev powerbooks having a problem like this? :confused:

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes, but all over, not just in one color. Hmmm....

11. Jopling macrumors 6502

I'd actually think it were your graphics card before it were the display. Perhaps in the past your monitor wasn't clear enough for you to notice the defects. Try the display on a different computer and see if there is still the same problem.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I have the 23" Apple Cinema HD Display, hooked up to my Dual 1.8 GHz G5 connected to the GeForce 6800 Ultra.

I tried the 3 blue(ish) solid desktops and stared at it, but found no problem.

Good idea to try the monitor on another computer.

13. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tries my Powerbook G4 and still found the problem, at this rate I'll have to get my eyed changed!

14. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried everything now. Tomorrow, I'm going to Bluewater, I'll go to the Apple Store and inspect their screens, if I can't see the same issue on their screens I'll speak to a tech about it, and when I get home ring Apple and get another replacement, this is really getting tiresome, Apple will end up thinking I'm winding them up, lol.

15. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I don't know the rules, but can't you just bring it with you to the Apple store if you're going and exchange it on the spot?

16. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I've read I don;'t think that is possible seeing as I bought it online and through the business store, as I need this for my work, but I'll ring them early tomorrow morning and hopefully :eek: I'll get a replacement in store.

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Or I have to get my eyes fixed.... ;)

Good luck anyway!