I am so happy with Jaguar, is it worth to move to Panther?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by gusanitoverde, Nov 18, 2003.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I was a switcher from PC to Mac recently, and I could say that i am in "dreamland with the Mac. I have been following Panther close. But there are so many complaints. Is it worth to upgrade? Latest not necessarily means best!...

Thanks!

Powermac G4 Double 1.42 Processor and Sony Clie NZ90-

2. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

i hear u i too still run jag and not sure to install panther yet , but i do believe u mostly only hear the complaints, most forums are like that its rare someone posts about how normal there os is running lol

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Wait a couple of months and you'll see the complaints fade and the stability will be there.

10.2.8 is a good release. Panther is better in many ways but right now, it's unstable for some. If you have a store close to you, go try Panther to see whether you like it or not. By the time 10.3.2 is out, you'll most likely have your answer.

4. zroll1 macrumors newbie

It's totally worth it. Panther has worked fantastic for me even though there were some bugs. There is just so much more that is greater in Panther. You hear about the major changes but there is so much more that are very suttle but also very helpful. I wouldn't go back to Jaguar for sure.

5. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Update 10.3.1 makes Panther very stable

I am a PANTHER early adopter since Night of the Panther. Installed on G4 dual 1GHz and on iBook G3. Had some problems on each, easily resolved by Repair of Permissions and archive install.
    DYMO LabelWriter printers great in Jaguar, no Panther driver yet, still prints in OS 9 if Panther installed. Update for Panther due by Nov 30th.
    Update 10.3.1 makes Panther very stable. ;) No need to wait until 10.3.2.
    Increased speed on G4 particularly noticeable, :) little less on G3 iBook.
    Jaguar was great and 10.2.8 was very stable.
    PANTHER is much better & faster, great new capabilities :D and would NEVER go back.
    Really worth the cost. :p Also, some new programs will not run on Jaguar, only 10.3.0 or better. ZINIO is one of them.
    :cool:

6. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

You will throw rocks at Jaguar after you install Panther ;)

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Panther is definitely worth it. Now that programs have been updated to be compatible with 10.3, I don't have a single problem anymore, in fact, it has fixed a few issues I had under 10.2.7/10.2.8.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i didnt notice too much of a speed bump on my newer imacs, but my old G3 500 imac is running soooo much better now that panther is installed. much fast boot speed and now iphoto doesnt hate me nearly as much. and brushed metal is growing on me

9. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Panther improves upon Jaguar

You will forget Jaguar after installing Panther:D

:)Jaguar is very stable.
    When you can afford to buy Panther, the investment is worth every penny. ;)

OS 9 :(
    If you have a G4 350MHz or better, or a G3 500MHz or better, and your Mac is OS X capable (max out your RAM, it's cheap), then you need to have a real good reason to stay in OS 9.2.2, because OS X under either Jaguar or Panther is so stable, fast and amazing it makes OS 9 look and feel ancient!
    Abandon that 1999 clunker and buy a 2004 Corvette sports car. :cool:
    "You will throw rocks" at OS 9 after installing OS X Panther or Jaguar.

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I swear, the brushed metal looks different in Panther, though, it doesn't look as hard as it did in Jaguar. Last night I was really noticing it and wishing it looked more like Jaguar if it is different (I'm not sure if I am just crazy or if it really is different).

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Re: Panther improves upon Jaguar

OS 9 is still far faster on my G3 PowerBook than Panther is. Everything is instant and snappy compared to the endless beach balls I get when I am running 10.3

13. sethypoo macrumors 68000

You're right, I was noticing that the other night too, the brushed metal does look softer, if metal can look softer.....

I think I'm going mad.....

14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I didn't run into many problems with Panther, and 10.3.1 seemed to fix the ones I did see. I dunno... Panther did a lot of things to visually speed things up (I believe mainly by making the transition effects happen in fewer steps), so if speed is an issue then yeah get Panther. But given the box you've got I imagine speed isn't a problem.

I think the main things Panther added are fast user switching and Expose. Oh, and startup time (from power off) is definitely much faster. If those don't float your boat, then I'd say wait. I did the upgrade because I didn't have to pay full price for it; don't think I'd necessarilly pay $130 for Panther.

15. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

My experience with panther on three seperate machines has been less than stellar...

While i do feel panther was definitely an upgrade from jaguar ( it finally feels like a 'complete' OS now). There are some things that do not work in panther that are killing me.

My biggest issue to date is the networking. I think networking in Jaguar was much better. I use my macs in a mixed computer environment both at work and at home.

At work it is essential that I be able to network successfully with windows. I find jaguar was just a matter of plugging it in and setting the workgroup in directory access. In panther it does not work so easily. I have trouble authenticating to windows shares and my biggest problem is that I can no longer browse the network. None of the windows shares or machines show up in the finder's Network. If i don't know the IP of the machine i want then i'm out of luck.

Some other issues i have are various install issues with some programs. The latest one being InDesign 2.0.2 it just will not install. I get an unable to write to file error everytime. I was able to install it on these 2 machines when i had jaguar. Now the same cd yields an error. To date there is no solution from adobe other than to buy indesign CS. Unacceptable since we'd have to upgrade multiple licenses here at work.

Panther as a whole is great. I'm NOT bashing it. Just some issues that make me wish i was not so quick to adopt it. Issues I feel others should weigh before jumping in.

If you're in a mixed computer environment, panther may not be right for you at this point in time.

16. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Panther & Jaguar great improvement over 0S 9

Then something may be really wrong!
    Once Panther loads an application for the first time (takes awhile) all subsequent opens are fast. Programs written for OS X are super fast. Waiting for Classic to open for ancient applications is a real draggggg.
    My iBook G3 700MHz has responded very well to Panther, which is faster and snappier than even when on stable Jaguar. I've updated all Adobe & MS programs to OS X, have you?
    Steve Jobs killed OS 9 in January 2003.
    Suggest you
    1. remove all unnecessary "location" languages using Mike Bombich's DeLocalizer (free) which will remove over 1/2 GB of junk
    http://www.bombich.com/software/local.html
    :)Keep DeLocalizer or the URL around because you are going to need it everytime you install or re-install OS X.
    2. max out your RAM, ;) which is dirt cheap, and
    3. depending on your current Hard Drive, consider either replacing a slow, small HD or installing a 2nd HD (not in iBook or PB) to 7200rpm and 60GB (for PB) - 160GB drive; it makes a big difference.
    4. leave OS 9 & 9 Apps on the old drive or give it a 6-10GB partition on the new HD, and the rest to OS X and your data.
    5. use Apple's Disk Utility for all drives regularly - it works fast.
    :cool:

17. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

I bought Panther, loaded it and days later, dumped it for 10.2.8. It's a great next step for the OS, but I need to get work done and didn't have time to deal with external firewire HD issues or font conflicts between FontBook and Suitcase.

I tried FontBook, but wasn't completely impressed, compared to my experience with Suitcase. I ran into conflicts between the two and was told by a Suitcase rep to hold off on Panther until the verdict is in on whether or not the two can play nice.

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Using Classic and using 9.2 are two entirely different things. Using Classic under OS X is of course going to be slow because it is an emulated environment whereas 9.2 is the OS itself. I don't have the money to be spending on RAM and a big fast HD for my PowerBook G3, if I had the money, I'd be putting it into more RAM and software for my current PowerBook G4. As of now, I am using 9.2 as my default OS with my G3 because it is super fast and extremely stable.

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Don't let these people fool you. If you're happy with your OS, please by all means keep using it. I know people who still run Win95 or 3.1 exclusively. There's an OS9 user on the floor above me even and a 10.1 user on the floor below. Get what you think will work.

20. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Suitcase, what happened to Trajan?

Well, I'm dedicated to surviving in Panther, but Adobe's Trajan is not working. The good news is that all my OpenType fonts (Linotext, Linoscript, Americana...) work perfectly well, and I'm on the road to replacing everything other than System Fonts with OpenType.
    You are totally correct about needing to get work done, and Jaguar 10.2.8 is very very stable :p and a safe OS X to go back to. Staying at 10.1 is not stable and not as safe, Jaguar 10.2.8 is so much better.
    The external FireWire800 issue is reportedly repaired by 10.3.1 update.:)
    Keep us all posted on Suitcase compatibility with Panther, please.:(
    OS 9.2.2 is also very stable, and the only place I can go to print with my DYMO LabelWriter printers until a fix is completed towards the end of November.:rolleyes:

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The texture isn't quite so deep, so it's quicker to render. You ever make a Lead-Acid battery? Lead is so soft that you can bend it without a lot of effort. The thing that really bothers me about the metal is that the light source for every window is right in front of it.

22. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Does anyone have a screenshot of 10.3's metal compared to 10.2's?

23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't have a screenshot of Jaguar's brushed metal, but here is a shot of the Finder window using Panther's brushed metal for you to compare against.

Attached Files:

24. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

people should just stop worrying about Panther problems and install it.

most likely they're small isolated incidents.

every new OS will have some bugs. just do a search for "Jaguar bugs" and i bet you'll turn up a whole heap. ;)

but if everyone doesn't use a new OS, and they keep waiting for a 'stable' update.... that's almost as stupid as people putting off buying hardware because something new might be around the corner. ;) :p

25. Wyrm macrumors 6502

Re: I am so happy with Jaguar, is it worth to move to Panther?

Rolls the dice and takes your chances...
    If you like to explore then don't wait, INSTALL IT!...

I upgraded, and I like Panther.

-Wyrm