Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Eluon, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Eluon macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Just thought I'd let the Mac family know about my good fortune today.

I had to take my 12inch iBook G4 into the local Apple Store (they just built one 10 mins from my house in the Woodlands, TX) for some repair work. Well, they told me it was going to cost $300 to fix (it is out of warranty) and would need to be shipped off. I hesitated a minute because I just bought my iMac G5 listed in my signature, and wondered if spending more money for a laptop that has a bad battery is such a good idea. Luckily, I made the decision to send it in.

They call me today to let me know my computer is ready for pick up. Well, I walked in and sat at the Genius bar and they handed me my iBook G4 and said: "sign here and here and your good." So, I signed and the man said, "well, your through." I said, "I still need to pay..." And he said, "no you don't. it was a free repair. Go spend money on a new iPod or something!" I seriously about flipped out right there in the store. $300 is a lot of money - especially to a college student.

So what did I do? I skipped around the store and found my iBook a new battery and spent only 120 bucks. Oh man, the joys of having an Apple Computer.

Just thought I'd share in my excitement!

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I gotta agree... it's strange that the OP's iBook was out of warranty but was still repaired free of charge. Tell us more!
  4. Eluon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2005
    Spring, Texas

It was VERY weird! I just can't explain how happy I was. They had to replace parts for my screen and also my main board? I am not very technical. Sorry!
  5. wnameth macrumors 65816

Nov 18, 2004
    is this like a promotion there doing to get more business? i work at a apple retailer and 300$ for us to spend on a customer would never happen.

You are very lucky, but you should have gotten a new colour ipod :)

thats my $0.02
  6. macdon401 macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    My Story

Not quite as good as yours but here goes, got a new G5 20" iMac about a month and a half ago ...loved it till I started getting slow performance and beachball mania, with some help from this site I found out my drive was failing, badly, SMART test!! Horror, so I backed up as mush as I could 39 GIGs worth on DVD...nightmare! Brought it in to my retailer after contacting Apple for a free new drive, still under warranty.
    Ater almost a week i call only to find out my drive is ordered but on BACK order as Apple is out of stock...no ETA known!
    My retail guy tells me there is nothing he can do but to call Apple and make a stink...I do and within a half hour i get a call from customer service, I give him a bit of "Im an old Apple guy had an LC and Powerbook 100 and everything in between, he says he will give me a $300 credit toward a rental of an external drive to use with my iMac till the new drive comes, I say thats nice but its really inconvienitent going back and forth loading unloading!!
    He say he will check worldwide for a drive and overniught it to the retail store...I say fine...thats never going to happen!
    Next day they ship the new drive overnight , install, and I have it free of charge!
    Pretty good customer relations I think!
    Somehow I don't hink Gateway operates like this!
  7. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    My sister wanted to give me $40,000 but I refused. I know others would be so happy if their sisters offered them money, no strings attached.
  8. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    It's a shame they only do this kind of service if you kick up a real fuss. I understand that they couldn't give this level of service to everyone without losing money... But there should be some middle ground.

It's like either you get treated like rubbish, or if you raise your voice slightly you're suddenly treated like a member of the board!

I had an iBook G3 when I was at school and it was getting the constant logic board problems. I wasn't too great on calling up tech support lines back then, so my Mum said she'd give it a go. So whilst I'm at school one day that week my Mum calls and she's on the other line to Apple, and she's like "I've been chatting to them for 90 minutes, and I'm through to some supervisor in Sweden..."

Anyway, long story short she'd gotten all the way up the ladder - was complaining that I couldn't get my school work done because the 'book kept going in for repair every couple of months. They offered me an iBook G4 (which had just been released) but only the 14" model, I said "too big". Then they offered a 12" PowerBook!

I got it within a week, and they didn't ask for the old machine back! My little brother used it for 18 months or so - getting it repaired twice under the logic board extension program - then a month ago he tripped over and smashed the screen.

Ah well!
  9. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    Have her PM me.
  10. Eluon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    i had the same problem

I had an iBook G3 that kept going in for problems and they eventually traded me for an iBook G4 - the current on I just got the great deal on fixing. My mother was the one that got it done too.