I am sooooo excited...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diatribe, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I just found out that a telephone company will be offering me this in November and I will so go for that :D

- ISDN connection
    - Telephone call flatrate within the country
    - DSL 1Mbit
    - DSL flatrate

for 60€...

for 5€ more I get 2Mbit/196up
    and for 10€ more I get 3Mbit/384up

so it is either 60, 65 or 70€ for the entire deal.
    Now I don't know which DSL speed to take... any thoughts?

P.S. Did I mention that I looove the price? :D

Edit: Just to make this a bit clearer: I could get the 1 Mbit DSL with flatrate for 20€ the 2Mbit for 25€ and the 3Mbit for 30€. Crazy prices. Who wants to compare? :p

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you aren't downloading much I can't see why you'll need mmore bandwidth. For surfing and some downloading you'll be perfectly happy with 1mbit.

Are you on a dial-up now? Then everthing will be enourmously fast..

I know that many companies here gives you the opportunity to upgrade your speed. If that's possible, try out with 1mbit and if you want more speed try the 2mbit.

3. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

No I am on a 1Mbit DSL line now. The only reason I was considering the higher speeds was for the upload 196kbit on the 2Mbit and 384kbit on the 3Mbit. It would make using .mac a lot faster, the only question is if it's worth 5 or 10€?
    I guess you don't really notice the dl speed difference right?

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

About the DL speed, iif you don't DL very much it won't make a difference..
    Upload speeds are always too low. My DL speed is very decent, but when i uploads things takes so long time. Is the 1mbit ulpload speed 128k? Ofcourse 384k upload is great :)

5. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, the upload speed is 128 on the 1Mbit. I know the 384k would be quite nice, I just don't know if it would justify spending 10€.
    And I definitely don't know if it would be worth spending 5€ for an upgrade from 128k to 196k... Do you think that would make a difference, a noticable one?

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I love my 384 upload. I play alot of xbox live, and always host my own games. With 128 up, my games sucked. Now they're about average. I don't know how much of a price difference that is in US dollars. Care to share?

7. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Exchange rate is at $1.27 per Euro right now. But I'd say calculated living costs, etc. are pretty much even, so choose your view.

So the upgrade would cost me roughly 6$, respectively $12 more. The entire thing would cost me either $76, $82 or $89. But I'd still call it more like $60, $65 or $70 despite the exchange rate. Comparing it like this would be more appropiate.

I hope this is not too confusing... :D

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hmm...knowing that, i'd say go for the 3mbit. i have 1.5mbit dsl (for $27!) with a 384 up. the upload is great for online games and using my homemade idisk (gmail inbox):p but i always want more download speed. 185KBps just isnt enough sometimes. it's only 10 euro extra and it would umm...increase your umm...productivity. yes, increase your productivity;)

9. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Hehe, thanks all. I will ask them on monday how easy/cheap it would be to downgrade it from a 3Mbit to a 1Mbit line, because when I am gone in 8 months again I don't think my mum will need that kind of "productivity" :rolleyes: :D

10. molcas&e'sdad macrumors member

I pay almost $60 for 3Mbit cable internet here in Minnesota. The bloody cable company must know that I cannot live without it ...