I am sorry...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Backtothemac, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I just have to take a minute to say that I am sorry to everyone that I ever said "X is plenty fast enough" to. For the first time since I had my iBook 300 Blueberry, I rebooted into 9 to get some work done. I heard that installing software in VPC under 9 was much faster than X. Well I had to put Office XP on VPC so my wife could do a project in FrontPage. Reboot to 9....

...OMG it screams. It's not fast, it friggin screams! X now seems like an old OS that is hardly moving. I know that is not the case, but that is how it feels. Well. I just had to say I am sorry. :(

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hey no need to feel sorry!!!

I've been saying the same thing...and everytime I startup in 9 to work...I see the difference...

Apple knows this and I'm hoping they've addressed this issue with 10.2... ;)

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Urgh. I've been saying from the beginning, if you expect OS X to ever live up to OS 9 in terms of raw snappiness, you're living in a dream world. It's a necessary consequence of having a modern OS, and believe it or not, in the big picture we're much better off for it.

VPC is by far the most obvious demonstration. You've got one process simulating an entire machine. Under OS 9, VPC could literally claim all system resources for itself. Connetix has worked with Apple to allow VPC 5 better performance on OS X, but it's still sharing the system resources with all the other processes on the system. The other processes take up a little bit of performance from the foreground process, and context switches take up a little more.

To sum up, it is not even theoretically possible for an individual application to be as responsive on OS X as on OS 9. When you consider all the tasks running on your system together, though, your hardware is being utilized much more efficiently.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

People listen to this...

OSX is crap, I know is new, it has funny stuff, it works with unix but ANY OF THOSE THINGS WORKS FOR ME.

OSX is not a intuitive as OS9, I know there are a lot of Mac fans here but I am not bliend, OS9 still superior in compatibility, simpleness and speed most of the time.

I had OSX for a weekend and I deleted it completely. I have no time to learn something from ground up again. If you want to know, Windows is much more friendy and intuitive than OSX. I do not care about UNIX, is like I do not have to learn DOS to use Windows.

I guess the exitment of OSX is gonna pass and people are gonna star comparing both OS in a more realistic manner.

Do not buy future Apple's campaing about OSX, be objective. OSX has a long way to go.

5. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, mymemory, I hope things have been well in your country. I don't think that X is crap, hell, I am in it now, and will continue to be in it because it is soooo wonderful to work in. I just cannot believe the difference between X and 9. VPC under 9 is faster than my PIII 550 at work. Anyway, I hope that X.2 will address some of this. I was just away for so long from the Mac platform that when I came back, and ran X, it was sooo much faster than on my old iBook. I had the PB on it.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm pretty sure that we all know that OS X is far from "complete".

For now, I'm willing to trade speed increases for overall system stability and the Unix underpinnings, which I've (surprisingly) come to love and use quite often. I'm never going back to 9.

Now Apple just needs to come out with some kick-ass hardware to make X scream and I'll be happy! :D

7. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Mac is OS X one superior OS

I harldy ever used OS 9, and i am coming from windows world. Mac OS X is one of the best OS in the market. I have been using Windows all my life, what a relief. Yes, some applications may be running better in OS 9, but apple need a Unix Based OS to conquer the corporate world. I know its not fun for a common user to use Command Line, but when the corporate world get hold of this Unix Based OS X, apple will steadily build its market share. Its good for Apple as company. And compared to XP, Mac OS X screams. I hope more and more applications which will make use of G4 Velocity Engine and compensate the Mac OS X's slight performance hit

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think Rower_CPU put it best. OS X is only a year old, and it has a while to go before it becomes "perfect". The software is already stable and productive, but requires a lot of memory and a fast processor.

I think that if Apple can add more features and speed improvements, while using less memory OS X will evolve into an incredible application.

Version 10 might just be the first step.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Personally I think Apple should have kept their mouth shut about the "World's Most Advanced Operating System" until they could actually deliver it. Sure, maybe it accomplishes that in stuff like multitasking and memory handling, but speed and features? We all know they took a huge leap back there. I realize it's pointless to be saying this now, a year later, but I'm sure that some of you guys will agree that X feels half-baked at times.

10. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I love X

I love X and am very close to trashing 9 compleetly. There are still a few apps that I have the need OS 9 to install in. My Toast installer is for verion 5.0... a classic app. So I need 9 just to install it before I can upgrade to the X version... and a few others as well.

I am a UNIX admin so I aprechate that OS X is built on BSD. It is a very powerfull OS and can be configured on the fly. I agree that for most users, you will never use most of the UNIX tools and capabilities. But think of it this way, if you wanted to you could have a web server up in less than an hour. There is also a world of free Software for UNIX and they are solwly being brought over to OS X (pre-compiled versions.. you can always do it your self). I use protacals like SSH and VPN with UNIX daily, and now I can do it from my Mac at home. OS X is also a true Muilti user OS. I think that Apple should have some kind of single user / "rootish" set up for people that will never use it for anything else and some kind of popup warnings like "YOu have the abillity to trash that file... but you really shouldnt, its owned by root" then let you trash it if you really want to. I agree that OS X is not as intutive as 9, and the learing curve is a little steep for some users. But I love it and I hope that it keeps improving.