I am the luckiest Mac owner in the country !

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dwl017, Mar 18, 2007.

1. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

I know with all the new Intel machines out now and G5 Macs some of you might say its not that big of a deal but this past Friday I picked up a mint condition Powermac G4 DP 1.25Ghz machine off Craigs List for only $150!!!:eek:

Thats right I know many of you will say its no big deal but considering what they sell for on eBay I consider my find the deal of the year on a used Mac.

It came with a Superdrive and 512mb plus a Seagate 100gb 7200 hard drive.

Why anyone watse a dime on eBay is beyond me long live Craigs List and the good folks that buy and sell through CL no inflated shipping or outrages bidding wars.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Congrats That Is A Fantastic Bargain

I agree that's a major score. Runs very fast. That's my favorite last PM G4. Only Dual 1.43GHz was faster and not as good for other reasons.

You forgot to put where you live in your profile. Where are you? What city did you get the Mac from?

3. dwl017 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dwl017

Sorry I'm on the east coast in Maryland right outside of Washington, DC

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that you got a great deal. And craigslist is great. i just sold my eMac on there this morning.:D

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

But does it work?

7. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

8. dwl017 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dwl017

Works like a charm! for the last few nights I have been doing some heavy duty video editing with FCP 5 and it cuts through video like a hot knife in butter. Renders super fast and burns DVD's even faster. Its been powered on non stop for a week now and let me tell you its got muscle big time! I plan to max out the ram etc. I see a very long future for my trusty new to me old model Mac.

9. dnordstrom macrumors member

dnordstrom

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Nice! Although I didn't get anything for as low a price as you did, but $1499 for a fully loaded MacBook Pro that had been used less than a week (that's $1000 off, BTW) was a pretty awesome deal:)

11. dwl017 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dwl017

Here is a thought to ponder I paid less for a working DP G4 MDD then some folks pay for broken G3 Macs on eBay. I love the $500 broken Power Books on eBay that have been beat to hell and back! dropped dragged and pulled behind a car yet the bidding wars go on and on. There should be a mental hospital that accepts only people that have paid to much for useless old broken down Macs :p

Long live Craig's List !

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Well I guess that I had better start to look for any cheapo Powermac g5's then :)

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yeah occasionally craiglist has a diamond in the rough deal, back in January I scored an brand new (well bought and never used) acoustic guitar for $40

14. aliasfox macrumors member

I'll do you one better - I just picked up an overheating dual 1 GHz Quicksilver for free. I asked the guy in charge of the office how much he wanted for this surplus machine, he said I could just take it because they couldn't reuse it at another desk. Turns out the CPU fan died - rigged up a new one and she works like a charm.

I moved my SATA drive, USB2 card, bluetooth, and Radeon 9700 pro over and she screams. Neither my Cube nor my 12" PowerBook can touch it, and it doesn't feel any slower than the MacBook I have from work (probably a function of the GPU and the hard drive).

Though I guess I find it somewhat odd that a 5 year old tower feels "new" and "screamingly fast" to me.

15. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Its knife in hot butter :p

What is craigslist's website?

16. aliasfox macrumors member

craigslist.org

depends on what city you're in, you could have a wealth of older computers to play with, or next to nothing.

17. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

No it isn't, it's Hot Knife in Butter: link.

If the butter was hot and therefore melted, surely a cricket stump would move pretty easily through it, never mind a knife?

18. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

19. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Either that or the seller just thought it would hold as much value as a PC after a few years!!:D

20. Oneness macrumors regular

21. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

is this place an actual store? or a website? can you give me a link to the site if so?

Thanks!

22. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy