Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I went into the city centre today. Lucky to have both Apple and Samsung stores in the same shopping centre.

I have together with my wife to many Apple products to mention being a long time addict to all things from the company.

I think you can guess what I am about to ask.

Why is it from the Samsung S7 edge to nearly all the other products in the Samsung store did I feel the screens were much better, apps faster and had all items just had a better quality feel to them?

Aside from the security issue with Android I have been tempted to the dark side.

Is there any hope for me?

Dave

It is good you have choice! Choice is always good.

Reactions: deany

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Well, I have an iPhone 6s plus, and a Note 5. With Verizon, all I have to do is switch the sim card to whichever
phone I want to use for the day. I also have Verizon's Message+ installed on all my phones, so all text messages
will be there no matter which phone I use.
I bought my Note 5 in November, not a year old yet, but it is still fast, and I don't have any complaints about it. We
will see if I get lag after a year, but I'm really interested in the S7 edge. I think I will wait until the S8 edge comes
out. I might get it, and sell the Note 5.
Even though I have an iMac (which is what I am typing on right now), and iPad and Mac book, I don't feel tied to
the apple ecosystem.
I only buy Samsung under contract. The iPhone I pay full retail price.

Reactions: geoff5093 and deany

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Well, I have an iPhone 6s plus, and a Note 5. With Verizon, all I have to do is switch the sim card to whichever
phone I want to use for the day. I also have Verizon's Message+ installed on all my phones, so all text messages
will be there no matter which phone I use.
I bought my Note 5 in November, not a year old yet, but it is still fast, and I don't have any complaints about it. We
will see if I get lag after a year, but I'm really interested in the S7 edge. I think I will wait until the S8 edge comes
out. I might get it, and sell the Note 5.
Even though I have an iMac (which is what I am typing on right now), and iPad and Mac book, I don't feel tied to
the apple ecosystem.
I only buy Samsung under contract. The iPhone I pay full retail price.

What carrier do you use?

I don't like that Samsung is taking a backseat with carriers on deciding what gets installed on their phones.

Reactions: deany

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
For what it's worth, I love what Apple did with the SE in terms of processor and ram. I think it boasts the fastest benchmarks of any iphone now. I wish they'd go further with it and call it iphone classic and really go nuts with it...OLED or sapphire all glass, waterproof, etc.

I don't think much of the Plus version right now and not a fan of the 6 series (plus) in general. The 6S Plus is adequate, doesn't lag like the prior but it could be so much better. The rumored changes this year weren't exactly what I was wanting in making it better though. I never thought if only they'd make this thinner, lose the headphone jack, put in some cosmetic speaker holes, maintain same battery life. What I did hope for was a smaller phone by losing some of the bezels, a return to pixel perfect screens (like every other iphone) by having the correct screen resolution, more ram, apple pencil designed for it.

I think the Note 7 is in its own class. The iphone plus doesn't really compete with it. Apple would have to redesign it for pencil support along with a pencil itself that's built in. iOS would need changed along with certain apps or new apps for it.

If you want the only pro phone, I'd say get the Note. It's the only one out there. It's the closest to a pocket wacom you're going to get along with the best mobile screen out there. No doubt, Apple is thinking about it and would probably go yet a tier higher in price for it but that's a year away if not more.
Ah, you stole my thoughts! I agree with every point of your post. I love the SE and would also love to see what Apple could pack into a chassis that size, even a tad thicker, if they put more effort into it. Who knows, maybe they're working on it. I can dream, can't I? Agree also on how you wish the 6S Plus could be different. And I also love this Note 7. My 6S Plus couldn't quite be an iPad mini killer but my Note 7 almost could. Almost. I've got mad fondness for surfing the web on a mini. And using it as a recipe book in the kitchen.

It has been only a couple of weeks so I cant commit to an opinion yet. So far the transition to Android/Touchwiz has gone well. My impressions so far have been favorable.

There were a few account glitches we had to get squared away with AT&T but they were eager to try to provide decent customer service. That's not to say they weren't clueless on a few occasions, but they were decent.

The only bloatware that has truly enraged me is Facebook being installed and undeletable. I don't want it disabled, I want my cat to eat it and poop it out and bury it in the litter box. I am so sick of FB being shoved in my face everywhere I turn. I tried it. I had fun there for awhile but came to loathe the whole thing.

I dont know how I would have liked trying out Android on a non Samsung phone. I really wanted the features Note 7 in particular offers. And Samsung in a way is offering their own walled garden experience. So I have a feeling it's easier in some respects for me to go to a Samsung phone than it is for Android purists to. I'm a bit used to being herded a bit and restricted. Pure Android afficianados really balk at the Samsung experience of Android if their comments on various forums and news sites are anything to go by.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Ah, you stole my thoughts! I agree with every point of your post. I love the SE and would also love to see what Apple could pack into a chassis that size, even a tad thicker, if they put more effort into it. Who knows, maybe they're working on it. I can dream, can't I? Agree also on how you wish the 6S Plus could be different. And I also love this Note 7. My 6S Plus couldn't quite be an iPad mini killer but my Note 7 almost could. Almost. I've got mad fondness for surfing the web on a mini. And using it as a recipe book in the kitchen.

It has been only a couple of weeks so I cant commit to an opinion yet. So far the transition to Android/Touchwiz has gone well. My impressions so far have been favorable.

There were a few account glitches we had to get squared away with AT&T but they were eager to try to provide decent customer service. That's not to say they weren't clueless on a few occasions, but they were decent.

The only bloatware that has truly enraged me is Facebook being installed and undeletable. I don't want it disabled, I want my cat to eat it and poop it out and bury it in the litter box. I am so sick of FB being shoved in my face everywhere I turn. I tried it. I had fun there for awhile but came to loathe the whole thing.

I dont know how I would have liked trying out Android on a non Samsung phone. I really wanted the features Note 7 in particular offers. And Samsung in a way is offering their own walled garden experience. So I have a feeling it's easier in some respects for me to go to a Samsung phone than it is for Android purists to. I'm a bit used to being herded a bit and restricted. Pure Android afficianados really balk at the Samsung experience of Android if their comments on various forums and news sites are anything to go by.
The reason Android purists dislike Samsung's skin is that they throw soooo much on there that it becomes laggy, if not right away then after a few months of use. However, with the lates releases of Touchwiz it isn't so bad, or so I've heard. Also, another thorn in the Android purists side is that Samsung has made some very nice looking devices the past two years, and some of their software is really good. It just takes getting past the bloated nature of Touchwiz, and that carrier pre-installed junk. At least they're improving!

Reactions: 5105973

DadBod630

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
"I am thinking of my future with iPhone/Apple"

Why do you people ponder this **** like you're wondering if you should get a divorce or move to another country? Jesus.

Reactions: nnoble

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Samsung is terrible with updates for their devices that aren't the newest flagship. Google does not decide if any device, aside from the Nexus line, gets an Android software update. That is left up to the OEM which, as you said, will cut off support at a moments notice. Sadly even Google's Nexus line can't match the software support Apple gives their iPhones. The latest from Google is at minimum 2 years of major OS upgrades (starting on release day); and 3 years of monthly security patches (from release) or 18 months from the last date the device was sold, whichever is longer.
I would say it's 2 years maximum from Google. We have nexus devices released in the 2013 which are not getting updated in 2016. So basically you get two major software updates and then you're cut off. More shockingly we have the Samsung Galaxy S5 released in 2014 which will not get android N. Google's excuse it that devices which have the snapdragon 800 processor can't run the vulkan Api which is part of android nougat. Well they need to make a version of nougat without the Vulkan Api which can run on those snapdragon 800 devices from 2014. Apple are able to update older devices and leave out features that they support.
[doublepost=1472549346][/doublepost]
To be fair you need to use a device instead of buying on how it's presented to you. That's how sales work, the salesman is selling him or herself.

It's like buying a TV. They all look great, some better than others. However they are all set to "retail mode" (Samsung specifically calls it retail mode).

View attachment 645677

If one was calibrated perfectly it would look like complete crap in the store compared to the others.

Same with a phone, calibrate the display and it will look similar to an iPhone (OLED will still generally appear better although display models may show burn in).

View attachment 645685

Load up all your apps and the speed slows down. Handle it for a while and it doesn't feel any better. Etc etc.

Samsung makes a good phone. Try it out for a while and see if you like it. If you do, great you made a good decision. If not, you can always switch back when you are ready for your next upgrade.

I would consider the age of your current iPhone and compare that to what Samsung was selling that year and see how well it's holding up for people. Samsung keep the latest version of Android on the Galaxy line for about 3 years which isn't too terrible IMO. Currently the S5 is on Marshmallow, I doubt it will see an update past that. You can always root and rom the latest version yourself (if that's still a thing).
The S5 which was released at the same time as the iPhone 6 is not getting updated to nougat. So it stopped being supported in 2016. The iPhone 6 will most likely be supported until 2019.
[doublepost=1472549841][/doublepost]
The reason Android purists dislike Samsung's skin is that they throw soooo much on there that it becomes laggy, if not right away then after a few months of use. However, with the lates releases of Touchwiz it isn't so bad, or so I've heard. Also, another thorn in the Android purists side is that Samsung has made some very nice looking devices the past two years, and some of their software is really good. It just takes getting past the bloated nature of Touchwiz, and that carrier pre-installed junk. At least they're improving!
Stock android is bland and so are nexus devices. It's interesting that android nougat is now incorporating many of the features that Samsung have had in touch wiz for years. Also the purists are in the minority. Samsung flagship devices sell in the tens of millions and the vast majority of their customers are happy with touch wiz. Nexus devices don't come close in terms of sales.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Taking into account the ecosystem can be overlooked when confronted with eye candy.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The grass is not always greener on the other side, Samsung may make an attractive looking phone, but their OS is terrible (TouchWiz is a joke) the app store fails in comparison to iPhone's app store, their customer service is terrible, updates are not half as often or as good as on the iPhone and Samsung phones often slow down over time.

The decision is up to you however, but i feel that Apple does the right thing. Do they stay up to date with the latest features? No, but they do take their time to try and perfect what they put into their phones. Are Apple perfect? No but they do build a great phone that often can last for years (My mum had my iPhone 4s until i recently brought her a SE). Unless i have been extremely lucky, i have never had an Apple device fail on me, my iPhones have always been great so have my iPad's and my Mac's. Apple's customer service have always been great, in my opinion.

Do Apple make mistakes? of course they do, no one or no company is perfect, just look at Apple Maps. But i do think that looking at the bigger picture, the iPhone is the best smartphone on the market, when it comes to reliability, usability and overall customer satisfaction. Obviously this is my opinion and others will differ, your's may too :D
Have you ever used a Samsung phone ? And I don't mean a demo unit in the store ;). I agree that overall when you take into account software updates, ecosystem and customer service the iPhone has the best all round package.

The only things I'd disagree on in your post is the point about samsung's App Store. Yes it's crap but you don't have to use it and most don't. You have access to tech Google play store which is more than adequate for most. Much like S voice which is also rubbish but you can ignore it and use Google now.
[doublepost=1472550492][/doublepost]
Taking into account the ecosystem can be overlooked when confronted with eye candy.
But the sparkle wears off a while.:p
[doublepost=1472550796][/doublepost]
I sold my iphone 6 in July and bought a Nexus 5X, and this week I came back to Apple with my tail between my legs and bought an iPhone SE.

Granted the 5X is a mid range phone but even so I was fed up having to do maintenance on it just to get it not to slow down and to get the battery to last the day. They say Samsungs TW is a hog, the 5X has stock android and still runs like carp. I also installed the Nougat DP5 on it and it ran even worse than Lollipop with redraws of the launcher etc.

So here I am back to a phone that just works with no fuss.
What really? You were having trouble with the anointed nexus 5X? Blasphemy. Don't let the purist squad hear you say that :D

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Have you ever used a Samsung phone ? And I don't mean a demo unit in th store. I agree that overall when you take into account software updates, ecosystem and customer service the iPhone has the best all round package.

The only things I'd disagree on in your post is the point about samsung's App Store. Yes it's crap but you don't have to use it and most don't. You have access to tech Google play store which is more than adequate for most. Much like S voice which is also rubbish but you can ignore it and use Google now.

Yes i owned a S4, it was terrible, i didn't like Samsung's Touchwiz nor did i like the Google Play Store i thought that Apples App store offered better apps and better quality of apps as well. I found that the device crashed and was slower than any iPhone i've ever used. Over the years i have used a couple of Android phones, i have to say that the overall package is a lot better with Apple, regular updates, better apps and a lot more reliable. I will say that the last couple of years the quality of Samsung devices appear to have gotten better, they no longer use that cheap tacky plastic on the back of their devices. Overall in my personal opinion i think Apple offer a much better experience.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes i owned a S4, it was terrible, i didn't like Samsung's Touchwiz nor did i like the Google Play Store i thought that Apples App store offered better apps and better quality of apps as well. I found that the device crashed and was slower than any iPhone i've ever used. Over the years i have used a couple of Android phones, i have to say that the overall package is a lot better with Apple, regular updates, better apps and a lot more reliable. I will say that the last couple of years the quality of Samsung devices appear to have gotten better, they no longer use that cheap tacky plastic on the back of their devices. Overall in my personal opinion i think Apple offer a much better experience.
I had an S4. It was fine but I only used it for 6 months so I can't comment on its performance long term. The only Samsung device I've ever had any issues with is the original Galaxy note. It started off ok but then it got worse over time, laggy, slow, rebooting, switching itself off, over heating. I used it for 16 months. Since then I've had the S4, S5 and note 3. They were all fine but I only used them for about 6 months each so I can't really say how they would have performed long term. I had the note 4 for about a month but can't really say much about its performance. The same with my S7 edge as I've only had it a month and my 6S plus is still my main phone.

I've had the iPhone 3G, 4, 5S, 6 plus and 6S plus and I've had no issues with any of them.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Any time I think of going away from it i'm confronted by the following:

1. I won't be able to accommodate iphone users. They use facetime, imessage, etc. Good luck on getting them to download google apps to accommodate you instead. This is the biggie. It's easier for me as an iphone user to accommodate google or other users.
2. I own macs. Being able to use continuity and handoff features is nice plus any other iOS related features.
3. I own a bunch of paid apps on iphone some of which aren't offered on android.
4. Then there's the ipad, apple tv, apple watch which needs iphone, etc.
5. I like itunes (one of the few i guess..lol). I like being able to do full backups which is simple enough. I've no idea if android is as capable but would like to think so.
6. And finally, support. It's great to not have to deal with carriers or their stores. If i have a problem, i swap my iphone out at an apple store. I suppose i'll throw in frequent OS updates here along with best apps in class.

So yeah, that OLED samsung bloatware S7 or Note looks really good. I'm a sucker for best quality screens. It's tempting. But it wouldn't do the trick.

I agree with this. I'm tempted to switch as well too, but 90% of my contacts are iPhone users so iMessage, FaceTime, etc makes it really easy to communicate. Also, text message forwarding on all of my devices is heaven. I love that feature. I keep wanting to try out the S7 but those features I use are what's stopping me.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

asears82

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2016
Ohio
As someone who just returned a Note 7, for me the sheen wore off quickly.

It was a very nice device, and I can completely understand someone being happy with it. It just wasn't for me.
I underestimated the importance of iMessage. Probably 90%+ of the people I contact regularly are on iPhones.

Reactions: dontworry

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
"I am thinking of my future with iPhone/Apple"

Why do you people ponder this **** like you're wondering if you should get a divorce or move to another country? Jesus.
Because this is an Apple/iPhone forum. If you don't want to hear people ask questions like this, you probably shouldn't be here.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
I’m not easily swayed from my mostly great experience with Apple’s products. Samsung isn’t offering anything I need. I don’t care how great the screen is. There’s nothing wrong with the iPhone screen to my eyes and I don’t feel the need to hunt down excuses to be unhappy with my experience.

Reactions: Flow39

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I would say it's 2 years maximum from Google. We have nexus devices released in the 2013 which are not getting updated in 2016. So basically you get two major software updates and then you're cut off. More shockingly we have the Samsung Galaxy S5 released in 2014 which will not get android N. Google's excuse it that devices which have the snapdragon 800 processor can't run the vulkan Api which is part of android nougat. Well they need to make a version of nougat without the Vulkan Api which can run on those snapdragon 800 devices from 2014. Apple are able to update older devices and leave out features that they support.
[doublepost=1472549346][/doublepost]
The S5 which was released at the same time as the iPhone 6 is not getting updated to nougat. So it stopped being supported in 2016. The iPhone 6 will most likely be supported until 2019.
[doublepost=1472549841][/doublepost]
Stock android is bland and so are nexus devices. It's interesting that android nougat is now incorporating many of the features that Samsung have had in touch wiz for years. Also the purists are in the minority. Samsung flagship devices sell in the tens of millions and the vast majority of their customers are happy with touch wiz. Nexus devices don't come close in terms of sales.
Yes, Nexus devices don't come close in sales. I think they're better than Samsung devices, but that's not the point here. The poster was commenting that they thought a Android purists hate Samsung devices and I was trying to shed light on that. The main reason Samsung sells well is marketing, plain and simple. Even if consumers had the option of a Nexus device sitting next to a Samsung device in the store, stock Android is pretty barebones comparatively. Most people would rather just pick the phone that has everything they need installed right there. People that like Nexis devices don't want a ton of pre-installed garbage.
Google's update policies were released a month or two ago, so of course it isn't going to apply to devices from 2014 as it is almost the end of 2016. They will still get the total of three years of security updates though.
As to the Snapdragon 800/801 chipset phones not getting Android N, there are rumors that it is due to the requirement of supporting the Vulkan API, which Qualcomm hasn't provided the drivers for. Also, there's a rumor that all the Android devices getting N are 64bit, which the 800/801 are not. Google doesn't need to do anything about it. They could make a version without their newest API, but manufacturers already see two year old devices as obsolete and won't push an update anyway, it would be fruitless on Google's part. Apple has the upper hand in this whole scenario since they use their own proprietary chipsets to run the phones, and software, they can deem older devices capable of an upgrade since they were involved in the entire development of the device.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As someone who just returned a Note 7, for me the sheen wore off quickly.

It was a very nice device, and I can completely understand someone being happy with it. It just wasn't for me.
I underestimated the importance of iMessage. Probably 90%+ of the people I contact regularly are on iPhones.
I'm a little bit confused about that. I texted Android users all the time when I was exclusively on iPhone. Can they not be included in group chats? I guess I dont understand the limitations of texting between platforms. The FaceTime one I understand because it can't be done at all without everyone agreeing to download the same app. I only FaceTime my immediate family members and we already all downloaded Google Duo. Let's hope Google doesn't abandon it.

asears82

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2016
Ohio
I'm a little bit confused about that. I texted Android users all the time when I was exclusively on iPhone. Can they not be included in group chats? I guess I dont understand the limitations of texting between platforms. The FaceTime one I understand because it can't be done at all without everyone agreeing to download the same app. I only FaceTime my immediate family members and we already all downloaded Google Duo. Let's hope Google doesn't abandon it.

It isn't so much a limitation as the two just don't work perfectly together. If all participants are iMessage I can leave the group, or turn the conversation to Do not disturb so I dont get notifications constantly. With Android users mixed in I start getting one off text messages from the Android users since leaving the group doesn't apply to them. The reality is that those are very small complaints, but it is something that makes the experience smooth overall. Particularly, such as in my situation, everyone Im talking to regularly is on iPhone. If there was a bit more diversity in the group it would be less of a factor.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I went into the city centre today. Lucky to have both Apple and Samsung stores in the same shopping centre.

I have together with my wife to many Apple products to mention being a long time addict to all things from the company.

I think you can guess what I am about to ask.

Why is it from the Samsung S7 edge to nearly all the other products in the Samsung store did I feel the screens were much better, apps faster and had all items just had a better quality feel to them?

Aside from the security issue with Android I have been tempted to the dark side.

Is there any hope for me?

Dave

Stop.

All smartphones are the same at this point. Pick the one whose ecosystem of UI/apps/support/innovation you like best and that's that. It's about the OS, it's not about the hardware.

BJ

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It isn't so much a limitation as the two just don't work perfectly together. If all participants are iMessage I can leave the group, or turn the conversation to Do not disturb so I dont get notifications constantly. With Android users mixed in I start getting one off text messages from the Android users since leaving the group doesn't apply to them. The reality is that those are very small complaints, but it is something that makes the experience smooth overall. Particularly, such as in my situation, everyone Im talking to regularly is on iPhone. If there was a bit more diversity in the group it would be less of a factor.
Ah, thank you for explaining that to me. I never really understood the differences other than the color of the bubbles being different. Even now with having both iOS and Android I couldn't see a difference. Though of course I don't have texts going to my Samsung number also going to my iPad anymore. That's not a huge deal for me because my circle of people I text with is small and easily managed.

A couple of them had even moved over to Android and I didn't even know it until I saw the green bubbles and then saw them in person with their Galaxy S7s. I think the latest Galaxies lured a few people who have at least one techno curious adult in the household. Most are loyal to Apple though and don't even seem aware that not all smartphones are not iPhones, lol. To them "iPhone" has become synonymous with all phones dominated by a screen and touch interface like the word "Hoover" has come to mean all vacuum cleaners for the British. Or "Q-tip" for all cotton swabs. I'm sure Apple is just thrilled. I guess that's behind their "If it's not an IPhone it's not an IPhone" ad.

It sounds like for you and @heyyitssusan making a change to Android would be more bother than it would be worth. Android on Samsung is a lot of fun and I love it, but I think iOS 10 will be a really nice update that will keep boredom at bay and add some useful features. I look forward to giving it a spin on my 6S Plus.

asears82

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2016
Ohio
Ah, thank you for explaining that to me. I never really understood the differences other than the color of the bubbles being different. Even now with having both iOS and Android I couldn't see a difference. Though of course I don't have texts going to my Samsung number also going to my iPad anymore. That's not a huge deal for me because my circle of people I text with is small and easily managed.

A couple of them had even moved over to Android and I didn't even know it until I saw the green bubbles and then saw them in person with their Galaxy S7s. I think the latest Galaxies lured a few people who have at least one techno curious adult in the household. Most are loyal to Apple though and don't even seem aware that not all smartphones are not iPhones, lol. To them "iPhone" has become synonymous with all phones dominated by a screen and touch interface like the word "Hoover" has come to mean all vacuum cleaners for the British. Or "Q-tip" for all cotton swabs. I'm sure Apple is just thrilled. I guess that's behind their "If it's not an IPhone it's not an IPhone" ad.

It sounds like for you and @heyyitssusan making a change to Android would be more bother than it would be worth. Android on Samsung is a lot of fun and I love it, but I think iOS 10 will be a really nice update that will keep boredom at bay and add some useful features. I look forward to giving it a spin on my 6S Plus.

No problem. And to be 100% fair, my sticking with iPhone is based entirely on how well it currently works for me and not anything negative toward Android. I am a big fan of Android and what it brings to the table.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I was really impressed with the S7 and still am, but a couple of things are stopping me buying it. Those being iMessage across my iPhone and iPad. Answering calls through my iPad. Photostream and being able to upload to it on the go. I think I would miss the iPhone's features too much even if the S7 is a nicer product.

A friend of mine and long time iPhone user upgraded earlier in the year to the S7 and said its a lovely phone but a little bit buggy compared to the iPhone. Statements like that deter me.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014

I agree, I'm using iOS 10 beta now and I'm liking it. For me, I like to try and experiment with new toys here and there, but I think my only option is to buy an a galaxy S7 outright, probably a refurb if there are any available and just experiment with it there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.