I am thinking of trying the Atkins Diet

Discussion in 'Community' started by Frisco, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    But I have read so much contradicting information, such as most of the weight loss is from water and muscle weight and that ketosis is very bad for the body.

Anyone have any personal experiences on this diet?
  2. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
  3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    If you do, make sure you take 3 baths daily and use lots of breath mints.
  4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I've also read that it's really unhealthy. You need carbohydrates to function. Ketosis is just... OOh: read about it here.

The best way to go would probably upping your intake of fruits and veggies, lowering caloric/fat intake, getting more exercise (take the stairs instead of elevator? Park further away, etc)

Remember that fad diets are just that-- a fad.
  5. DerChef macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    For those from the UK

Anybody read Viz comics famous spoof Ad

"They're Happy cus the Eat Lard" :eek:

Seriously though I thought they have discovered the way the Atkins diet works is nothing to do with strange chemical reactions that burn fat.

What happens is it makes you feel so crap that you go off food it effectively works as an appetite supressor.
  6. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I lost 30 pounds in 35 days on Atkins last year... I've kept the weight off since then through a combination of exercise and low-intake (i.e., I eat whatever I want, just not much of it). I think Atkins can work well as a weight LOSS diet for people with the right physiology, but it's maybe not so good long-term. Of course, you should consult your physician before starting any diet.
  7. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Please, please don't do it. It's a fad diet. I've only heard bad stories about it - yes some people do indeed lose weight on it but you have to eat ridiculous meals and there are some very unpleasant side-effects. And in most cases I've heard of, once you come off the diet and start eating normally again you put the weight back on. It's not safe. One of my friends tried it for a couple of weeks and ended up fainting and in hospital.

The only sensible way to lose weight is with a calorie/fat controlled diet and exercise, e.g. weight watchers. You should aim to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week. Might not sound like a lot but it works and it's guaranteed to stay off not like these ridiculous fad diets where you just lose water.
  8. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003

I have also had good luck with the diet. Last year I was on it for 7 Months and lost 60 pounds. My cholesterol went from 199 to 142. And I have kept the weight off with little effort. Most people like to bash things just because they can. Personally, I would suggest the you go through induction and two weeks of ongoing weight loss and see how it works for you. My physiology just works with atkins (my body doesn't process carbohydrates efficiently).

Give it a shot. Just make sure you actually do atkins, and not just make up something like atkins (you do need veggies).

And yes you will need some breath mints, gum, listerine, etc. One unfortunate side effect of ketosis.

9. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    As somebody else said, it can work very short-term to get good weight loss, but its definitely not a lifestyle...its extremely unhealthy do it for long periods of time.

Weight loss all comes down to calories: how many you take in, and how many you burn up. So watch what you eat and exercise regularly. (Exercise has other benefits as well, I think too many people forget that. They're more interested in losing a few pounds than adding 10 years to their life. <sigh>)
  10. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003
  11. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003
    It could easily be a lifestyle. Most people associate the Atkins diet with the following:

Breakfast: Cheese Omelet with Bacon
    Lunch: Bunless Cheeseburgers
    Dinner: Steak

This is not reality. Go to Atkins.com to see how the diet is actually supposed to be followed.

Also, you are supposed to exercise with ANY diet. It is also a requirement of Atkins. Most people who say that they are doing Atkins choose not to exercise because they see the weight coming off without it. This is the biggest mistake that most people make. Considering the amount of protein that you get on this diet, regular exercise often leads to a gain in muscle mass.

12. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Please don't try it. Like others have said it is just a fad. There is a new fad know called the 3-hour diet. Basically u stuff your face every 3 hours with whatever you want and apparently you loose weight. Supposedly it alters ur metabalism. Sounds like a crock of s*** to me.

im no dietition but I think the only successful way to loose weight is to eat healthy food and don't eat snacks. Stick to the 3 meals a day. Exercise I think is the way to go. But serious exercise. People say they try exercise and it didn't get them anywhere. If u are going to exercise you have to do it hardcore and do it regularly to loose weight. Did anyone see that show "The Biggest Loser"? That show was amazing. I hate reality TV but I was hooked on it. Exercise does work. Go running and work at it until u can run say a kilometre or two. It will be hard work for sure but worth it in the end.

But then again I could be completely wrong. Im one of those lucky people who is very thin - I have difficulty putting on weight. This is just my theory.
  13. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003
    Again, everybody's body chemistry is different, you need to find out what works for you.

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    wow... all these people pleading with you... "please don't try it"

like the atkins diet did something to them personally? haha

give it a whirl... why not? if it doesn't work, go back to eating what you're eating now.

personally, i'd reccomend eating in moderation- you don't always need to feel stuffed to be done eating a meal. and don't drink sodas- cheap calories. exercise, be active. and then eat what you want, just smaller portions.
  15. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    The Atkins diet is a really goood way to lose 20 or 30 pounds or so in a fairly/relatively short period of time. The key is, once you have lost the weight, you need to adopt a different style of eating so you continue to lose weight (if necessary) and keep it off.

People call it unhealthy, but being over wieght in itself is far more unhealthy thatn the diet itself.

Use it as a tool to get the wieght off, and then learn how to eat better, excercise and take care of yourself so you don't gain it back.

Good luck!
  16. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    Hey Frisco good for you :). You've done the first step in losing weight and it's probably the hardest part - that's realising/registering that you're overweight and having the enthusiasm to do something.

One of the big things you'll find with diets is that they aren't very successful if can't keep it up year round. Dieting to lose wieght and then going back to eating what you usually do is a guaranteed way to put that weight back on. In general your fat cells don't die - they just sit there waiting to swell back up when you eat again. So I'd recommend to ditch the idea of a 'specific' diet such as the Atkins and change your eating habits fullstop. You'll be surprised how quick the weight will come off.

Give yourself a month as a trial period. See how your progress goes - that way you have a short term goal that you're heading for instead of an opened ended. Try not to weigh yourself everyday - a week is good.

Some tips I'd give you are (as some others have said).

Excercise - go for a walk, use the stairs, go swimming. This is really important. The best way is if you can find someone to do this with you. It's so much harder to pike out if you will be letting someone else down too.
    Eat high protein/low fat foods such as tuna and skinless chicken.
    Eat nuts/dried fruits for snacks.
    Eat wholemeal breads, oats.
    Drink lots of water - always have a bottle with you. A lot of the time a drink will do instead of something to eat.
    Watch you calorie intake - cut down on your sugar. Lots of low fat products are often full of sugar instead. (You'd have to walk about 15km to burn off the calories in a packet of jelly babies). Read the nutritional information.

Don't deprive yourself. You can't keep this up long term and you will fail.
    Drink/eat things that are high in sugar - chocolate, softdrinks, cordials etc.
    Eat fried foods, cheeses, all the stuff you know is bad.
    Think you can lose weight without excercising!
    Give up without giving it at least a month.
    Have any bad food in the house/workplace. It's too tempting ;).

*importantly* Give yourself one cheat day a week. That way you don't go without and don't feel deprived. Go out to dinner with your friends and have a take-away meal like you normally would. But don't overeat!

If you up your excercise and decrease your calorie intake you will suceed very quickly

It's so doable and you'll amaze yourself and your friends in no time. The benefits to your health will be amazing.

Best of luck :D
  17. rayrod81 macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2005
    The Atkins diet is a short-term fix and is fairly unhealthy because you do not get all the vitamins and nutrients to sustain your body's functions. The truth is that you need carbohydrates and fats to lose weight but you need certain amounts. Carbs keep you body from breaking down muscle after an intense workout (yes you must exercise) and fats (the right ones of course) help your brain function and actually help you burn fat. Your carbs should come from whole grains, fruits and vegetables and your fats should be mono- and polyunsaturated such as are present in nuts, olive oil, and canola oil. Check out the South Beach Diet or the Abs Diet. With these diets you will eat 6-7 smaller meals a day which rev your metabolism (you will burn ore calories) and you will build lean body mass which will burn fat even as you sit around and do nothing. Ideally you want about 35% of calories from proteins and the rest from carbs and fats. Of course, the number of calories of each are dependent on your weight and weight loss goals.
  18. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    I tried it 3 years ago and I lost about 45 lbs in 3 months. While it was working VERY fast for me, I'll never do that diet again. Since I had little to no carbs in the 6 months that I was doing it I had no energy. I mean NONE, I was like a walking zombie with no strength. I kept all the weight off no probs. Not only do you have no energy, you might stink due to all the red meat, and I don't know about some people but I got pretty "plugged" up if you know what I mean.....from the lack of dietary fiber and what not. :D

Just remember if you're going to try this diet, it will work if you do it right, but take a vitamin pill every morning. I still remember thinking about my 2 tablespoons of peanut butter I looked forward to at the end of every day!

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR

Your suggestions sound remarkable like the "Abs Diet". I'm about to embark upon this journey. Was it something you've tried?
  20. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    I did atkins for a while, and yes - i did lose a helluva lot of weight!

That said, it isn't at all good for you, i felt like crap for the first 3 weeks, and still felt pretty rough after that. The best approach I've found which really does work and is healthy is to excercise lots, and not eat carbs after lunch. Eating carbohydrate in the evenings/afternoon means it gets stored up while you're asleep, so not eating them does quite literally mean that you burn fat while you're asleep.

there is some truth in the carb-free approach, in that it is pure energy. here's a the safest weight-loss approach I've adopted:

1) DON'T eat white bread or similar white bready stuffs - its pointless energy and not all that good for you
    2) DON'T eat any carbohydrate after lunch
    3) DON'T eat between meals
    4) DO eat a decent sized breakfast to kick start your metabolism
    5) DO excercise, even just making sure you walk for 40 minutes a day is enough
    6) DO eat plenty of fruit and veg, and cut out sugary drinks
    7) DO drink atleast 2 litres of pure water day

Its not the fastest way to lose weight, but its the safest, and chances are you'll feel a lot better. Losing weight quickly has all kinds of knock-on effects, if you lose a lot, then you'll be left with saggy skin and stretch marks. You'll also feel pretty ill for the most of it.

If you're serious about the atkins diet, then just make sure you go to your doctor first, and keep up with the supliments as they are very important. Atkins himself acknowledged that it isn't a balanced diet, which is very important to everyone. Once you've got to your ideal weight (oh yeh, set one), ween yourself off it slowly, otherwise you'll put the weight back on faster than you lost it - it happened to me.
  21. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Your best bet is to eat a good balance of everything. You DO need carbohydrates! However, what you should eat less of are processed carbs such as white flour, pasta and granulated sugar.
  22. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    Cool I'd never heard of it before! I totally overhalled my diet about 2 years ago to get back into shape. During my PhD I put on about 10kg and was feeling a little unwell and unfit. I also started to have knee troubles. I was really keen to get back into shape.

So in combination with a vegetarian epiphany I went to see a couple of dietitians. I also took up swimming and road cycling and have gone to the gym every day for the last 18months. So things are fantastic.

It's amazing how much better one feels. Just healthier in general - less sweating, less tired, more concentration (also more confident).

Best of luck with it Yellow!
  23. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    Thank you everyone for your feedback!

I think I will at least give it a one week trial and let you know how I make out.

Appreciate it!

24. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    OK, make sure you (1) drink LOTS of water, (2) take vitamins, (3) get at least some exercise (say, a brisk 30 minute walk), (4) look into zero-carb alternatives (sugar-free Jell-O, Splenda, etc.), and (5) don't overdo the red meat and the cholesterol. Fish, chicken, and turkey are your friends; so are Egg Beaters.

Oh, and weigh yourself daily and log it so that you can keep track of your progress. Constant feedback is essential.
  25. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    Thanks for the tips clayj! Can you please give me an example of the diet that you have eaten on Atkins?

I am a simple person and wouldn't stick to a complex diet. I don't care if I eat the same thing everyday--at least for the first 2 weeks. If I could have at least some simple repetitive meal I will be okay. The main dilemma I have with Atkins is how do I incorporate the vegetables, because I hear they are an important part of this diet? I know fruits are pretty much banned except for olives and tomatoes.