I am trying to connect my new mac to my old mac to move files...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nospleen, Jan 14, 2004.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I connected my new ibook to my PB and I enabled apple talk. I rebooted and then went to go/network, clicked on my pb's HD. It asks for a password. I only use one password, but it keeps saying it is incorrect? What gives, am I missing something?

2. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Oh, caps lock is not on, I already checked that.

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    are you using the correct login name?
    i.e. nospleen instead of No Spleen

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Did you share the directory? Are you using a network w/hub, or crossover? Try enbling guest, and share the directory with guest access.

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

6. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I got it, the no spleen, thing helped. My short name on my pb is Brandon, but when it auto-populates, it does my first and last name. So I had to change that to just Brandon and it worked. Thanks for the help!!

7. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

your login name is pre-filled with whatever you called yourself on the machine you're connecting from. Take a look in your machine that you're connecting to in order to check what you've listed as your login name (owner name) there.

8. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

Depending on how old your PB is, I'd recommend Target disk mode. On the PB, hold down the T key while booting and you'll get the firewire logo on the screen. Next connect the two laptops using a firewire cable. The old PB will act like an external hard drive and make it easy (and fast) to transfer files to your new ibook.

9. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Agreed, Target Disk mode is a godsend. It's GREAT for recovering data from an otherwise unusable computer. Plus, it's much faster than via ethernet.

Never forget Target Disk.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah go with target disk mode, its a much faster work around than figuring out ur password, or having to boot from cd and reset password and do all that annoying stuff when all u want is some data. i cant say how many times target disk mode has saved me from near disaster