I ask the wise...

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheMonarch, Sep 10, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I have lots of questions, I don't even know where to start, here are a few. Some are random (hey,its the community forum :p) some are mac related...

1) Can the PB be upgraded to 4GB of ram if one day there are 2GB dimms?

2) Why did apple "speed dump" their G4 once? (I think it was from 450mhz to 400)

3) Why is soccer not called football here? Some people from other countries get confused when you say football but but you aren't talking about soccer, but to me soccer shouldn't be called soccer, it should be football as the name implies.

4) Speaking of foreign, why is California's governor so anti-immigrant? He is one too... It just looks bad.

5) Why are hotdog buns sold in six packs, but hotdogs are sold in 8? (If you don't get it, you never watched animaniacs... I'm joking on this question)

6) How come I can see people eat rats ground up in a blender *cough* fear factor *cough*, but I can't even see a nipple on TV? God forbid it ever happens again.

7) What the hell is up with this measurement system that we have? The metric is clearly better. Didn't we try to change it once, but were too stupid to use it? I mean com'on 0=freezing, 100=boiling (celcius). It makes waaaay more sense than "wagon loads" (YES, there is such a unit here). I'm not talking just celcius here, but the whole metric system is better. The rest of the world likes it.

8) Why did apple stop the hold click for those of us who don't have a 2 button mouse? (some apps have it, but its not universal)

9) Are macs going to have an "intel inside" sticker on them when they switch? Aren't those requires by intel?

10) Why is college so expensive? :p

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

the motherboard only can read 2 gigs. That's the max it can comprehend.
    because they wanted to? it's all good
    because we're americans! inches not cm! pounds, not kilograms! GIANT SUV! 2 MPG! MUAHAHHAHAAH.

dude, I dunno.
    it may appeal to voters. Personally, I welcome immigrants. It's all good.
    my veggie dogs are sold in packs of eight.... and I haven't seen hot dog buns in Six-es in a long time...
    EWWWWWWW... ew ew ew ew ew ew!! EW!
    and because nipples are evil.
    omg, that means we're ALL evil.
    some people are 50% more evil than others...
    (I know a clarinetist with a third nipple. he is in that group that is 50% more evil.)
    dude, I wish the US went metric. It'd be so much easier to have a UNIVERSAL one. but NooooooOOoo
    because steve said so? just do ctrl+click or get a 2 button mouse!
    ewww... I hope not!! those are uglyyyyy
    McGill in Canadia is$8000 CANADIAN DOLLARS a year! that's like.. $40 US money.
    (I'm kiddin, I love you, Canadian economy!)
    I dunno... building freaking stadiums for the 9 people that will use it per year.. UGH. I'm gonna be a music/econ major, I shouldn't have to pay for the Football team that I'll never go to or care about!! *anger*

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I didn't know women had nipples until I was 11 years old. *shakes head*

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

It's the confused Philosopher

I would take a guess that one day the future PB could hold up to 4 gigs.

The PM G4 (PCI) was announced along with the PM G4 (AGP). Originally, the PPC 7400 (G4) chip had been planned to debut in the G4 AGP, but Apple was not able to get the machine ready in time. The G4 PCI was in the works in case of such an event, and allowed Apple to ship 7400-equipped machines while they worked out the final bugs of the AGP. There were supply issues with the G4 initially and this was further compounded by an "erratum" in the initial revision of the 7400 that effectively lowered the ceiling of the chip to 450MHz.

It's kind of hard to see just one nipple. They come in pairs you know ;)

Is the Metric system really better. The "rest" of the world, or at least a good portion of the current countries has had European influences for many many hundreds of years. While the United States is just 2 centuries old. Metric system is more universal and would make more sense to use a universal system.

I would hope not

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

6. yenko macrumors 6502a

1) NO

2) Steve wanted it so.

3) Stop making sense.

4) Hell...we all are. Only the Native Americans aren't.

5) I think they fixed that.

6) Violence....Good. Sex....BAAAD. (Europe it's different)

7) We are going to change the rest of the world. Working on it now.

8) No idea.

9) Intel sticker will replace the Apple Logo. :D

10) These f&^%$@s are harder to teach.

:D :D

7. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I believe Britain and Ireland are the only places that call it football. Almost every country calls it something different. But the term soccer comes from "Association Football" which is the full name of the sport, while Rugby was originally called "Union Football" (or something like that). There's a lot more on how it evolved on wikipedia. Though I tend to call it football just to piss off everyone and cause I hate Gridiron Football (aka the NFL).

I think I recal reading that the US does not actually have any official measurement units (just like there is no official language). There is some official units for international trade, but guess what... they're Metric! The reason why the US uses the Imperial system still, is that Metric was developed by the French, and the British didn't want to use a French system so they kept the Imperial system for a long time, and as a result the US uses the Imperial system. And even though almost every body under 30 years old (at least) were taught the Metric system, we still won't switch because it's too much hassle.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nope. As katie ta achoo said, the actual PowerBook cannot read more than 2GB.

I believe it was for stability reasons. Plus, I think they dropped from 400MHz to 350MHz but I could very well be wrong.

This is an international forum. Simply saying football could mean a variety of things. For me, I could read it as Australian football (AFL), American football, rugby league, rugby union or soccer. Wouldn't that get annoying after a while - not knowing quite which code each member is talking about.

I believe it has something to do with an ancient wooden ship, invented by the Spanish during the Napoleonic era. Umm... I don't know why California's governor is anti-immigrants, but maybe considering he is one, he knows something about them that we do not...

It's to do with how much pig gut is used to make a set of hot dog skins. I personally don't understand why the buns aren't sold by the baker's dozen.

Sucks to be in your country. I like nipples. Blame the religious groups. That is, blame the religious groups for banning nipples as opposed to blaming them for mad jew's nipple fetish, of which they had no input.

Pretty similar to answer number six. You guys are just too stubborn for your own good I suppose. Religious groups are definitely to blame again though...

So that now you will buy a Mighty Mouse™. I believe it's got something to do with the ancient art of marketing.

Only if you peel an Intel sticker off of a PC and then put it on your Mac. If you did this, I would probably firstly blame the religious groups, then I would slap you, then I would peel the sticker right back off again.

Because you don't have the metric system.

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

1) Yes, if the memory controller supports it.

2) Because Apple was too fast in releasing that model.

3) Because Americans are pretty jerky and think a pigskin ball is better than a black-and-white ball

4) It looks good to the people he is appealing to - wealthy white America

5) So they can make you buy four packs of hot dogs and three packs of buns to match. (just kidding)

6) You're not looking hard enough for those nipples.

7) We like it because it makes more sense to say 1 lb than 454 grams.

8) There's click-lock if you miss it that much.

9) They can't have "Intel Inside" stickers on IBM PPC Macs. So, no.

10) Because you are paying for professors to sit around and do nothing (tenure), and the tax-payers are too busy with K-12.

10. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

hmmm thats expensive. my school, also in candida is only 4500 a year...and better than mcgill...by FAR

:D

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Think about it as legal versus illegal immigration. The governator has no problems with people who stand in line in get the forms and do it the right way. His issue is with those people who sneak across the border and enter illegally. Additionally when he came here, he was fleeing oppression.

Because rat is haute cuisine in some places?
    You used to see nipples all the time. Back in the 80s early 90s news programs would run informational programs about breast cancer, breast augementation etc, just to show boobies. It was gratuitous.

People complained so they stopped. They show on tv what people want to watch.

Fahrenheit is actually more precise then centigrade and is centered in a rational manner. 0 F is where sea ice forms and was considered to be the cold measurable temperature (at the time) 100 was what they thought body temperature was.

If you want something totally rational for Temperature use Kelvin or Rankin.

The other units, well we've been fighting that battle since Mr Jefferson was president.

Maybe. Would apple really put the toilet bowl on a mac? Its not required by intel but you get discounts or marketing money.

People are willing to pay for it and it is worth it?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I totally understand where you're coming from Katie, but my impression is, that at most of the big US universities, football is a (and one of the few) profit center in the athletic department, and that far from other parts of the university paying for it, it actually subsidizes other sports. This is the way it was purported to be at Michigan when I was there. They get mad cheddar from television and all that.... :rolleyes:

And trust me, I am no big proponent of spending university money on football.

13. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

He's not an illegal immigrant, they are.

I don't know but - rats ground up in a blender? Ewwww...

Imperial/American measurements are better becuase the base units are better sizes. The key thing that measurement does it allow you to grasp things bigger or smaller than you can percieve directly, by relating it to something you can. So the key requirement for a measurement system is that the base unit be something everyday, something easily graspable. Foot, stone, inch etc. are much more on the human scale than "centimetre."

Also, 0F is the freezing point of seawater and 100F is the temperature of the human body at rest (approx. its 98.6 really) So in this case the human actually is the scale: which is excellent.

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/696.html

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The term 'football' is used much more widely than just the British Isles – although you're 100% correct that the term is derived from Association Football. For one thing, most of the sport's governing bodies use the term football (or at least a translation of the world) in their name, not soccer.

Rugby is generally just Rugby, although there are of course separate versions of this game too – League and Union. The terms come from the original governing bodies that were formed to codify the rules – the Rugby Football Union and the Northern Rugby League.

15. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

I know officially it's known as football in most places, but in actual use it's not quite as common. Although I did forget to mention France, so you are right is it used elsewhere besides the British Isles.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

(a pedant replies)the term favoured by Geographers is Anglo-Irish Isles aside from 800 years of oppression there is nothing British about Ireland.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are we talking physiology, personal jewelry or geography now?

18. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

I didn't believe that this discussion had anything to do with debating about Irish nationalism. If we were really to be discussing it we'd be discussing how they should refuse to play an English sport that was forced on them, so then, Ireland would not be included in the list of people that use the term football to refer to that English sport, and therefore it would be the Isles in the UK that call it football and not the Anglo-Irish Isles.

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I wasn't debating anything just pointing out the general term is Anglo-Irish isles

20. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

To date I have not seen it printed on any maps. Then again I mostly look at older maps and not current maps.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've got to be honest – I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that term.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Actually what I aid is complete bollocks(not unusual)the term is Anglo-Celtic Isles.

The phrase "the Anglo-Celtic Isles" has also been suggested and is in some use, being both ethnically and geographically accurate and elegantly concise.

The term British Isles is no longer used in Irish state documents, has been abandoned in schoolbooks in the Republic of Ireland and is being phased out of textbooks4. Its usage is also decreasing in official British state documents, out of sensitivity to the concerns of some Irish, Scottish and Welsh people and the evolving geo-political relationships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Actually, I've just been reading through that exact same page myself! ;)

Once again, I can't say I'm familiar with any term other than 'British Isles' – still, I suppose 'Anglo-Celtic Isles' also has the bonus of keeping the Welsh, Scots and Manx happy too!