i believe i have broken a few keys on my powerbook g4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kimday, Dec 7, 2004.

1. kimday macrumors newbie

out of curiousity last night i took off the tiny 'end' key on my powerbook and being that this is my first laptop, it confused me a lot compared to a desktop keyboard. anyhow, i tried putting the key back on and only the right side would latch back in. i took off the 'page down' key to compare the two and see if i broke something, and it appears that part of the metal on the actual board the keys go onto is bent down. then i tried putting the key back on the 'page down' and its doing the same thing, only the metal looks normal. i don't feel like ruining another key to figure out whats going on, but is this worth of going to a repair place? is there anything they can even do? the keys don't seem to be broken. or am i just not doing something required in order to put keys back on?
    thanks.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Not really willing to pop off a key to check, but my daughter pulled off the option key about a week ago and it snapped right back on. You may need to check to make sure you're applying enough pressure on the key.

Also, is the the Ti book or the Al version?

3. kimday thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i keep just pressing down on the sides that wont stick in and nothing is happening. right now i have 3 keys halfway in, so i can still use them, but theyre just sticking up.
    and its a Ti.

4. diamond geezer macrumors regular

If you're pulling your small keys up, raise them from the left side. The keycap should come off independently from the little plastic elbows (which should remain connected to the top of the keyboard).

They should just snap back into place easily.