i book g4 - drive won't recognize audio cd's

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by psc, Dec 4, 2003.

1. psc macrumors newbie

After installing 10.3.1 and itunes 4.1 updates my combo drive will no longer play any audio cd's (not a copy protection problem). I get the message 'you have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS x can read'. All these cd's worked perfectly before these updates. Any ideas of problem? Anyone else had same?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The combo drive in my Power Mac G4 won't recognise them either. I don't get an error, it's as if I don't have a CD in there at all.

I'm running 10.3.1, iTunes 4.1, and QuickTime 6.4.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I reinstalled Panther via Archive and Install, tried playing a CD, and it worked. I reapplied the 10.3.1 update, and it still worked. Wasn't too much of a hassle, it took about 20 minutes to reinstall Panther from its DVD, and another 5 to install the update.

4. psc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, i'll give it a go. I presume this doesn't effect itunes library or iphoto library stored on HD?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you choose Archive and Install, then it preserves your home directory, and your preferences.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

The combo drive in my PowerMac G4 stopped reading CD's almost right after I got it. I simply took the drive to an Apple authorized service center, and they had Apple ship me a new one.

7. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

I got my new iBook G4 yesterday, and I noticed that I was having the same problem, so I called AppleCare and the Tech had me delete two files and restart the computer and then it worked fine.

First file
    HD----->System------>Library----->Caches------>delete file com.apple.kernelcaches

Second File
    HD------>System----->Library------->delete file extensions.kextcache